School bus disaster in Alabama

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

Things like this make me wonder. The police stopped my son just last week and issued him a ticket for driving without his seatbelt on. They are harrassing my boy with that mess while school children are approved to ride school busses without a seatbelt with the blessings of governmental authorities. Are the lives of our school children not as important as ours? Or is it the case that the government cant make revenue from school busses by issueing citations for not having the seatbelt fastened!!

4th student dies after Ala. bus crash

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - A fourth high school student has died from injuries she got when a school bus nose-dived off an interstate overpass, the police chief said Tuesday.

The bus driver, who was found critically injured on the overpass, was among 15 who remained hospitalized, authorities said. Four were listed as critical.

Police Chief Rex Reynolds identified the fourth victim of Monday's school bus wreck as Crystal Renee McCrary, 17. Like the other victims, she was a student at Lee High School who was on the bus when a car came up in a side lane and the bus veered over the guardrail and crashed about 30 feet below.

Debbie Hersman, a spokeswoman for the National Transportation Safety Board, said investigators were trying to determine how the driver ended up on the overpass, escaping the devastating impact that crumpled the front of the bus.

Two teenage girls died in the wreckage; a third died later at a hospital. More than 30 students were injured.

"The bus went to the side, and I guess it went over," passenger LaWanda Jefferson said. "When it was falling ... I was just glad when it hit the ground."

"They were falling on each other. People were screaming, yelling, crying," said Jefferson, 16, who suffered fractures to her left arm and cuts and bruises to her face.

Five people, including the bus driver, had undergone surgery, a hospital spokeswoman said.........

more here

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/ap_on_...chool_bus_wreck

Things like this make me wonder. The police stopped my son just last week and issued him a ticket for driving without his seatbelt on. They are harrassing my boy with that mess while school children are approved to ride school busses without a seatbelt with the blessings of governmental authorities. Are the lives of our school children not as important as ours? Or is it the case that the government cant make revenue from school busses by issueing citations for not having the seatbelt fastened!!

4th student dies after Ala. bus crash

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - A fourth high school student has died from injuries she got when a school bus nose-dived off an interstate overpass, the police chief said Tuesday.

The bus driver, who was found critically injured on the overpass, was among 15 who remained hospitalized, authorities said. Four were listed as critical.

Police Chief Rex Reynolds identified the fourth victim of Monday's school bus wreck as Crystal Renee McCrary, 17. Like the other victims, she was a student at Lee High School who was on the bus when a car came up in a side lane and the bus veered over the guardrail and crashed about 30 feet below.

Debbie Hersman, a spokeswoman for the National Transportation Safety Board, said investigators were trying to determine how the driver ended up on the overpass, escaping the devastating impact that crumpled the front of the bus.

Two teenage girls died in the wreckage; a third died later at a hospital. More than 30 students were injured.

"The bus went to the side, and I guess it went over," passenger LaWanda Jefferson said. "When it was falling ... I was just glad when it hit the ground."

"They were falling on each other. People were screaming, yelling, crying," said Jefferson, 16, who suffered fractures to her left arm and cuts and bruises to her face.

Five people, including the bus driver, had undergone surgery, a hospital spokeswoman said.........

more here

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/ap_on_...chool_bus_wreck

there's a major difference between a school bus and an automobile. especially when you consider the physics in how they both crash.

your typical bus will have a tendency to roll-over in a crash and land on its side.

picture the injuries involved in a person suspended 10 feet on its side, the potential for more internal trauma as well as severe joint injuries would increase substantially .

the typical bumps and bruises that ar typical with the occasional broken would be far more preferable.

the accident in alabama is a tragic,but rare occurrence.

1stWord, I wouldn't call it harassment of your son by the police for failing to wear his seatbelt. The law is in place for a reason, and it's probably a good warning to reinforce it. I have to wonder from the way your worded your statement if you approve of wearing a seatbelt yourself?

The physics observation is a good point that I hadn't though about.

Edited by mls1202

1stWord, I wouldn't call it harassment of your son by the police for failing to wear his seatbelt. The law is in place for a reason, and it's probably a good warning to reinforce it. I have to wonder from the way your worded your statement if you approve of wearing a seatbelt yourself?

The physics observation is a good point that I hadn't though about.

Sure i approve of wearing a seatbelt for me. What i dont approve of is the allowance of kids on school busses to not have seat belts. I think the reason it happens is because theres no money in that. Seems these ridiculous seatbelt laws are just another cash cow without great concern for public safety. If there was such concern for public safety, we would have seatbelts on school busses.

http://www.ncsbs.org/crash-reports-2006/sc...rashes-2006.htm

http://www.ncsbs.org/crash-reports-2005/sc...eports-2005.htm

http://www.ncsbs.org/crash_reports_2004/crashreports2004.htm

http://www.ncsbs.org/crash_reports_2003/cr...ports2003_1.htm

http://www.ncsbs.org/crashreports/crashreports2002_1.htm

http://www.ncsbs.org/crashreports/crashreports2001_1.htm

http://www.ncsbs.org/crashreports/crashreports2000.htm

http://www.ncsbs.org/crashreports/crashreports.htm

Do you ride a school bus? Did your driver say why they believe that?

Yes, I sometimes ride a school bus. AFAIK, it has to do with the physics of the bus and the ability to evacuate in case of a fire. I should ask about it some more when I go back to school.

Seems these ridiculous seatbelt laws are just another cash cow without great concern for public safety. If there was such concern for public safety, we would have seatbelts on school busses.

did you even READ my post about the crash injury possibility in different crash scenarios?

get a toy school bus and put it on its side and picture yourself hanging sideways in basically a lapbelt.

i still don't get your cash cow statement, but whatever.

did you even READ my post about the crash injury possibility in different crash scenarios?

get a toy school bus and put it on its side and picture yourself hanging sideways in basically a lapbelt.

i still don't get your cash cow statement, but whatever.

Common sense has trumped your scenarios. Its a fact if the bus turns over the kid will come out of the seat. Gravity will not hold a child in a seat when the bus is over turned.

The cash cow statement isnt hard to understand, but whatever.

Common sense has trumped your scenarios. Its a fact if the bus turns over the kid will come out of the seat. Gravity will not hold a child in a seat when the bus is over turned.

The cash cow statement isnt hard to understand, but whatever.

"your typical bus will have a tendency to roll-over in a crash and land on its side.

picture the injuries involved in a person suspended 10 feet on its side, the potential for more internal trauma as well as severe joint injuries would increase substantially .

the typical bumps and bruises that ar typical with the occasional broken would be far more preferable."

In other words, he says that, if there were seat belts, the kids would suffer more internal injuries as opposed to simple broken bones. He knows damn well that kids would be thrown around, BUT he says that the kids being thrown around is preferable to internal injuries.

I never, ever ride in a car without fastening my seatbelt. This is a habit which my parents ingrained in me at an extremely early age.

Apparently your son didn't have that advantage. <_<

Same here... I have no idea why people in this day and age do not ride in cars without seat belts.

Apparently your son didn't have that advantage. <_<

He was in a strip center. Got in his car and drove from one store past 3 others to the Walgreens on the corner in the same strip center. Never ever driving on the street, just in the strip center a few 100 feet.The officer just happened to be patrolling and saw him get into his car and followed him just a few 100 feet to the next store and hit the lights.

A strip center parking lot! Either that cop was bored or just didnt have enough to do. That surely didnt warrant a ticket :wacko::wacko: