City Name Change?

oh my - kind of like the missouri city stuff...

“I love the way they put this: ‘Officially rename the city Galveston Island to provide residents and visitors the independence that only an island can provide,’” he said, reading from the North Star report. “We often say that we’re so different from the rest of Texas that we had to be an island, so I think that will go over well with residents.” :blink:

but everyone knows it is an island, and it's already called galveston island.

sounds like someone is having a major identity crisis...

and all that pirate talk - come on!

Edited by sevfiv

I like the idea, many people already refer to the city as Galveston Island anyhow.

I refer to the Island as Galveston Island but Galveston as Galveston.

If they changed the name it'd be Galveston Island on Galveston Island.

No. The city of Jamica Beach is also on Galveston Island. I think that's the only other incorporated city.

I refer to the Island as Galveston Island but Galveston as Galveston.

If they changed the name it'd be Galveston Island on Galveston Island.

No. The city of Jamica Beach is also on Galveston Island. I think that's the only other incorporated city.

The same as the "Town of South Padre Island" on...... South Padre Island! :D

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.281137,-...p;spn=0.11,0.18

Check out the map, I could not see anything about Pelican Island, but it sure looks like a seperate island.

Yeah, it's a seperate island, but is an official part of the city.

we could build an MLS stadium there, and call them the Houston Dynamo of Galveston Island on Galveston Island.

How about The Houston Dynamo of Galveston Island on Pelican Island. Plenty of room there for a MLS stadium lol

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

Interesting. This seems to be a new fashion lately.

Two cities in New Jersey recently changed their names, too.

I'm OK with "Galveston Island" as the name of the city. It will help people from outside of Texas and Louisiana who only know "Galveston" from the song, and don't know it's an island.

Interesting. This seems to be a new fashion lately.

Two cities in New Jersey recently changed their names, too.

I'm OK with "Galveston Island" as the name of the city. It will help people from outside of Texas and Louisiana who only know "Galveston" from the song, and don't know it's an island.

People who do not know enough to know Galveston is an island are probably not good candidates to become visitors.

Personally, I think taking the name of possibly the most historic city in Texas and fiddling with it is bad form. Potential visitors hear about Galveston from its marketing. It takes no extra effort to market the entire island, as opposed to only the official town name. Pointing out its pirate heritage does not bother me either. Changing a name that defines what you are suggests that maybe Galveston's leaders don't know what they have down there.

But, then again, this is just what we have become...a nation of marketing and PR firms. You are what you purport to be, not what you are. If Galveston REALLY wants to be so different that they have to be an island, then buck the trend and don't change the name.

People who do not know enough to know Galveston is an island are probably not good candidates to become visitors.

I don't think Galveston's tourist economy is strong enough to write off the entire east and west coasts of America.

People have a fascination with islands and love to visit them, especially if they're in warm climates. If Galveston promotes itself as an island resort it gives it an advantage over the dozens of other seaside resorts in America.

I can't speak for the west coast, but growing up in the East, people know about Long Island, Nantucket, Key West, and the vague notion that there's an island off of Los Angeles. There are millions of people up there with billions of dollars in disposable tourist income. If they knew Texas had a huge island, at least few would make the trip.

I don't think Galveston's tourist economy is strong enough to write off the entire east and west coasts of America.

People have a fascination with islands and love to visit them, especially if they're in warm climates. If Galveston promotes itself as an island resort it gives it an advantage over the dozens of other seaside resorts in America.

I can't speak for the west coast, but growing up in the East, people know about Long Island, Nantucket, Key West, and the vague notion that there's an island off of Los Angeles. There are millions of people up there with billions of dollars in disposable tourist income. If they knew Texas had a huge island, at least few would make the trip.

I suppose it is illegal for Galveston to advertise that it actually IS an island? Must they change the city's name to do so?

I suppose it is illegal for Galveston to advertise that it actually IS an island? Must they change the city's name to do so?

True. The only things is that how many of us actually remember any of the other Park Board's marketing campaigns or slogans for the city? Changing the city's name would almost assuredly force the notion of Island onto the consumer. It would be on everyones tongues, you'd see it on maps, globes, postage, etc. If the city could somehow pull this off without changing the name of the city, I'd be all for it.

I really don't see what the fuss is all about, to be honest. "Galveston" and "Galveston Island" are essentially one in the same anyway. It's just not that big of a stretch imo.

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

In terms of marketing the isle, I really don't think it really matters at this point. Galveston isle is about 7 to years out in really being competitive to other major resorts. The city needs to clean up the east end (by the jetties), the new developments will take some years to complete, and Broadway Blvd needs a major cleanup of the businesses and projects from about 33st heading west.

You would be amazed to know the number of people that do not realize that Galveston is an island. It adds to the lore and mystique and if the city can capitalize on the on this, then Galveston has the chance to become a true destination for the US. There is an effort to "clean up" Broadway as the gateway to the island, but there are TXDoT issues with the esplanade and grandfathered businesses. I agree that it will take time.