Texas Pride

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

• 1 month later...
Would be great to see what it looks like today. Has it changed much over the years?

The better half took some pictures at the family Christmas Get together, I asked her to get some outside pictures of the homestead when she was up there, but I was in Wyoming and she took what she took. I will have to run up there a get some myself.

PICT0041.jpg

Front Room (Living Room to city folk)

PICT0045.jpg

Kitchen Area

PICT0043.jpg

Master Bedroom

My Aunt Johnnie-Ruth Barnes keeps the old homestead up. It's used for family gatherings, she tries to keep it as authentic as possible. The home does have electricity but very limited, Grandad had electricity put in, in the late 40's I think. But Johnnie-Ruth keeps the old place pretty stock, the old rocking chair in the one pic was hauled by wagon from Mooresville NC in 1833, and I think the old trunk too. It's a cool old place, kinda keeps you grounded when you are there, reminds you of how fortunate we are and how far we've come. I'm old enough to remember freezing my ass off in an outhouse in the winter. And remember the first time I saw TV, my Uncle Bill bought one in Houston, and drove back with it in the back of his 50 model Chevy PU. Life was different back then, some better, some not, definitely a lot slower. No phone ringing all the time, hell we didn't have a phone till 1965, and it was a party line. We were 3 rings a pause and 1 ring. Our number was DA-8739 (Davis-eight seven three nine.), weird the things you remember.

I am Texas born and Texas proud, how about you? <<Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

Well I am just a transplant, but I have been here 30 years this year , I really do consider Texas home and am always talking it up to my out of state friends. Does that make me an honorary Texan? My friend in Dallas who is a native says you really do have to be born here to qualify. Just wondered what the rest of you natives think on that subject. LOL

Well I am just a transplant, but I have been here 30 years this year , I really do consider Texas home and am always talking it up to my out of state friends. Does that make me an honorary Texan? My friend in Dallas who is a native says you really do have to be born here to qualify. Just wondered what the rest of you natives think on that subject. LOL

That's the Dallas stereo typical elitism for you(kidding Dallasites :rolleyes: ).

Anyways Houstonian born and raised here. Wish my son could of been born there, instead he was born in New Jersey(thanks to my deployment). And my daughter will be born here in Manchester. Hopefully within the next year or so we will all be back in Houston to stay. I will always stress to them that they may not have been born there but were raised there and there for they are Houstonians(Texans) I know several transplants that have claimed to be Texans now, that's perfectly fine in my book :D

• 5 weeks later...

My wife wasnt born here in the great state of Texas. She wasnt even born in the USA. Shes from Harer, Ethiopia but its a bit hard to tell since she has so much Texas paraphernalia and such a love for most things Texan.

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!!! I LOVE Texas, particuarly H O U S T O N .... my town. But Texas has some real cool cities ... Dallas Austin FW SA El Paso Amarillo ... it's just that Texas is bigger than Germany. ;) So there.

T E X A S .... AND ALL THAT THAT IMPLIES!!!!

T E X A S .... AND ALL THAT THAT IMPLIES!!!!

I used to have a cousin who was so proud of being a Texan he refused to die anywhere else. He had a helicopter business, and he and his partner had bought a new chopper in another state and they were flying it to Houston. Somewhere over Louisiana he had a heart attack, and he knew it was bad and he was going to die. He refused to let his partner land the chopper in Shreveport so he could keep going and make it back to Texas soil before he died. The partner finally took the controls away from him near Nacogdoches and landed. My cousin was dead by the time an ambulance could get to him. His last words were that he just didn't want to die anywhere but in Texas.

Archived