Moving to Houston - Where to Live?

ubarnett

Hi,

My name is Ursula and I moving to the Houston area. My preference is to live in an older neighboorhood where the homes don't all look alike. I'll be working in the Woodlands and don't mind the drive north. I'm looking for somewhere like The Heights - only not that expensive. If you know of such areas, please inform. My realtor has really been trying to push me to move to the Woodlands and because I don't know of any other areas to go, it's hard for me to find places on my own. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Heights and sixth ward fit the bill, except on price of course. You might still find something more affordable in the area off Houston Avenue between Washington & 1-10, however, since the construction of the new Target and more new townhome construction, builders are grabbing up a lot of that. Anything affordable will be small and in need of work.

A lot of people priced out of the Heights have gone to Lindale Park which is across 45 from the Heights area.

Another more affordable alternative is just east of downtown, Eastwood and some of the surrounding neighborhoods such as Eastlawn & Woodleigh.

What price range are you looking for?

Hi,

My name is Ursula and I moving to the Houston area. My preference is to live in an older neighboorhood where the homes don't all look alike. I'll be working in the Woodlands and don't mind the drive north. I'm looking for somewhere like The Heights - only not that expensive. If you know of such areas, please inform. My realtor has really been trying to push me to move to the Woodlands and because I don't know of any other areas to go, it's hard for me to find places on my own. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, price range is a good thing to know. But working in The Woodlands makes it kind of inconvenient to live in town. I'm not sure if there are good parts of Conroe, but it probably wouldn't hurt to look through some of the listings...they certainly won't be as pricey as the Heights.

The Heights is were my family first moved too in the late 1960's. 1023 or 1026 1/2 Allston street when Mort Hall Ford relocated to Houston at Little York @ Eastex Freeway. So i got my rose tinted glasses on. You will get more good advice from this forum than any where else.

LIVE, work, PLAY in the woodlands. there are older neighborhoods in and around the woodlands that do not look like "sugar brick" homes. hit the city for fun, live close to work. late 70's contemporary homes offer some great floor plans (and some big AC bills if they haven't been renovated).

homes in north grogan's mill have increased in value over 15% the last couple of years because of their proximity to the woodlands town center and the waterway.

there are plenty of open-minded people about too. you just have to find out where they are hanging out.

you'll be much happier if you buy in the woodlands and "visit" houston. but that's just my opinion.

Having lived in both the Woodlands and the Heights, I can safely say that "older" is a relative term. I will leave it to you to decide what style of house and neighborhood suits you. However, I currently live in the Heights. I have to drive to Conroe a couple of times a month for work. The reverse commute is congestion free to the Woodlands. It takes less than than 30 minutes to get to Woodlands Mall from the center of the Heights. If you are in Sunset Heights or Lindale Park, you can shave another 5-10 minutes off of that time.

Good luck in your search, and welcome to Houston.

Hi,

Have you thought about an old farmhouse up there in the Woodlands/Spring area? They're few and far between, but it would be the best of both worlds...old house, short commute.

I love old houses, but if my job was in the Woodlands, that's where I'd live. Damn that commute ____.

Congratulations on moving to an exciting area.

My husband and I have a property in the Heights that is coming up available for sale. It is unique in that it has retail and residential space combined. It will be reasonably priced and would be a good investment for a first Houston property. There is almost no maintenance because the buildings take up the entire lot. It's located on Stuewood near 11th, which is a really up and coming area.

If you are interested in further info, please email me thru this site.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

The Houston Heights would be 1st that comes to mind, but you better find out about the important things like if your willing to pay high tax, no kidding I know people that tell me its is very expensive. 2nd choice the Museum District 3rd Rice University area. Now if you want close vicinity to all freeways and inner city venues check out the very near East End. Broadmoor/Country Club Place or Idylwood areas. Eastwood/Broadmoor homes are bungalow/craftsman and 1920-30's Victorian. You will find real good deals here just have to talk to long time residents. We would love to have anyone that has a sincere desire & passion to enjoy our neighborhoods charm. Location is tops!

Archived