native_Houstonian

Who's getting your vote for Gov'ner?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your choice?

• Rick Perry
    • Chris Bell
    • Carol Keeton Strayhorn
    • Kinky Friedman

If more of my college peers weren't too stoned to vote, I think Kinky would have had a chance.

Nope. Not a chance in Hell ;)

What's problematic about his candidacy is that you can pretty much say that anybody who voted for Kinky would have voted against Perry and therefor FOR Bell. For Strayhorn, it's probably more like 60-40 in favor of Perry, if she hadn't been in the race. Thus, if you eliminate the two candidates who didn't have a chance and you might have an opportunity for some change. As it is, we end up with Perry.

Splitting the vote like this always favors incumbency -- even when the very nature of a split vote and independents running on sensitive issues seems to be a referendum for change.

Nope. Not a chance in Hell ;)

What's problematic about his candidacy is that you can pretty much say that anybody who voted for Kinky would have voted against Perry and therefor FOR Bell. For Strayhorn, it's probably more like 60-40 in favor of Perry, if she hadn't been in the race. Thus, if you eliminate the two candidates who didn't have a chance and you might have an opportunity for some change. As it is, we end up with Perry.

Splitting the vote like this always favors incumbency -- even when the very nature of a split vote and independents running on sensitive issues seems to be a referendum for change.

Actually I disagree a little bit. I think if any one of these candidates were to go up one-on-one against Perry, that person would have won; not just Bell. But I think something was fishy about Strayhorn. I think she was a partial strategic candidate to help Perry win by saturating the playing field (though she would be a better governor than Perry). Kinky's a popular dude, but I truly think his weakness in this election is the fact that so many people that like him probably are in the demographics that don't show up in the voting booths (i.e. the college crowd).

Remember Ventura, yo. He's living proof that every once in a while, voting counts.

By the way, I've posted a copy of what the fight for the govenor's race looks like on my myspace. Check it out...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...eoid=1386781757

Technically, the polls are over at 7pm. Does this mean that Kinky Friedman is now the official govenor of HAIF? ^_^

It would be cool if he was a member of HAIF. B)

voted for Kinky, 1st time voter...as soon as i walked into the voting place at a local elementary school i noticed that I was the only young dude in there, everybody else looked so old...but i felt good when i left the place, i had done my civic duty

Glad to hear you voted and i sure hope that you keep on doing so. ;);)

voted for Kinky, 1st time voter...as soon as i walked into the voting place at a local elementary school i noticed that I was the only young dude in there, everybody else looked so old...but i felt good when i left the place, i had done my civic duty

Congrats!

I first started voting at 18 and been voting ever since.

Hope you have a long streak in it.

Voted for Kinky BTW.

Archived