What the?!?!?! (Idylwood Content)

flipper

The listing says "units." I guess i didn't realize there were multiple empty lots in Idylwood. I wonder if this is in the portion that floods? Only reason i said that is because it says "stained concrete floors."

I think you may be right. I'm not that familiar with Idylwood, but I'm pretty sure that area right next to the bayou does flood. They need a beach-house type design there - something way up high.

1712 N MacGregor sold April 28, 2006 for $250,500 and sits on three lots according to the description. This looked like a nice home per the pictures on the old listing but I never viewed in person. Could they be tearing this down and putting up? Lot size is 23,115sf.

Scharpe St Guy

1712 N MacGregor sold April 28, 2006 for $250,500 and sits on three lots according to the description. This looked like a nice home per the pictures on the old listing but I never viewed in person. Could they be tearing this down and putting up? Lot size is 23,115sf.

Scharpe St Guy

I think that is exactly what they are doing. If all the lots are around 5900 sq ft, then they can put up 4. The house there now is pictured in the original brochures on the neighborhood, available on line at the idylwood website. The house needs work, but is (was) a really nice place with a unique setting. I think the land is up high enough that the house itself was not subject to flooding but I can't swear to it.

As to the merits or shortcomings of that house's pending replacement(s) aside, when I was training leasing agents I wouldn't let them call $400 a month class C apartments "units." I certainly would not use the term in marketing a $400k+ single family home. I also would not have used that sketch.

Scharpe St Guy

A friend and I looked at the property a while back. I want to say it was listed for $320k at the time. The house had been added on to from its original base and they could not match the brick so they painted the brick (I am not a fan of painted brick). It needed quite a bit of work but overall it was in decent shape. The houses on that section of N. Mcgregor Way are elevated quite a bit. I would guess they are at least 10 to 15 feet above the street level so I don't think flooding is an issue at all. The house has/had an open yeard on one side and a garage with a workshop on the other side. The lot was long and not very deep with the font quarter not really usable because of the slope up to the house. It was apparent when we looked at it that it could very easily be subdivided into three lots. We speculated that some buyer would do just that. I really hate the idea that someone would build something that hidious on those lots. I would have hoped they would have done bungelow type construction that fit into the rest of the neighborhood. I always loved that area growing up and we spent a lot of time over there riding our bikes as kids. I hate to see developers come in and ruin the feel of these older neighborhoods.

• 3 months later...

I suggested Idylwood to a friend who is selling her home in Montrose. She seemed interested, so I searched the listings this morning and was very surprised to see the new construction planned on MacGregor. I can't access a direct link yet but they are at the top of the price range in a HAR 77023 search.

At first glance, the first graphic looks like the aftermath in a war zone. Not so much when maximized.

1799146-30.jpg

This section of Brays is set for renovation in the next two years as part of Project Brays. Last sketches I saw (a year ago) had some nice retaining walls and additional landscaping as a result of widening and 'straightening out' the hard turns that the bayou makes along this stretch. It will remain unlined (thank goodness).

Flooding issues should disappear. I don't recall whether a canoe launch was part of the project or not (there was community debate on whether is was wanted or not), but the sketches showed promise.

Topic merged with previous topic.

Agree with Coog. Our bayous are way underutilized as waterfront for residential and recreational and, in those areas, the East End has small rivers, whereas the West End has creeks. I say that not in a "we're better than you" sense, but just that, with the rebirth taking place on the east, the bayous are perfectly positioned to finally become the focal points they can be.

Topic merged with previous topic.

Agree with Coog. Our bayous are way underutilized as waterfront for residential and recreational and, in those areas, the East End has small rivers, whereas the West End has creeks. I say that not in a "we're better than you" sense, but just that, with the rebirth taking place on the east, the bayous are perfectly positioned to finally become the focal points they can be.

In my neck of the woods, and the area I tend to work in, the bayous are usually flowing with trash along with the water. Not to mention, they are *usually* on busy streets.

flipper

This section of Brays is set for renovation in the next two years as part of Project Brays. Last sketches I saw (a year ago) had some nice retaining walls and additional landscaping as a result of widening and 'straightening out' the hard turns that the bayou makes along this stretch. It will remain unlined (thank goodness).

Flooding issues should disappear. I don't recall whether a canoe launch was part of the project or not (there was community debate on whether is was wanted or not), but the sketches showed promise.

hey travelguy

do you know where i could access current info on the plans/status of project brays on line?

Archived