Pasadena Southmore

foxmulder

citizen4rmptown or anyone...do you know if the main library's renovations (located to the east side of the mall) have been completed yet? And how they look, if so?

Links:

Flickr Slideshow of Renovations (goes slow for me)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14431354@N04/...795714721/show/

Library Homepage

http://www.ci.pasadena.tx.us/library/

Quote From Library - I know the libraries have reopened , at least the mall ones, but i do not think the central library has opened yet....

After Hurricane IKE Our Branch library is open for business our regular service hours. Branch story times are presented on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 AM. If your laptop has wireless connectivity, you can use our free Wi-Fi in and around the branch location. The branch computer lab will be closed indefinitely, but the branch still offers access to 12 public computers

The Mall libraries have closed permanently.

Our library has received a grant for $4,973 to purchase children’s furniture as well as supplies to refurbish children’s room. The Wal-Mart on Shaver has donated $2,000 as well.

Thnx for the heads up, would like to go check it out when it's completed. Looks like the new addition will be to the west, around the area that I previously did a lot of research at. Love the layout of that library. Has long narrow tinted windows on the east side looking out to green space, hope it keeps that concept. The furniture was great, too. 1970's time-warp, sure it will change, too bad. Last time I was in there, I couldn't believe it was still the same.

• 3 months later...
Read somewhere that before Sears was built on that land, neighborhood houses were there. In the early 70's, when we went to the Pasadena Foley's, I often thought "they should build a mall" to go with it. Foley's sat on a huge piece of land, empty expanse to the north. Too bad it didn't work out very well. Remember that Sears had Winnie -the-Pooh items, Foleys had Peanuts.

I'm replying to my own post... :P ...I found some old Pasadena Foleys ground breaking photos the other day, in the Bob Bailey collection. Looks like there was originally a neighborhood on that land, as well. I never knew that! And it stayed just a huge empty piece of land with just a Foley's on it, for many years. The picture with the googie-style looking arches on that billboard was interesting, was a very old picture. Had no idea that Foley's had been there so long. The sign with the architect & construction co. was good to see. Those arches in the ground breaking sign remind me of the turquoise ones that draped the Foleys arches in the surburban stores, for many years.

Bob Bailey Link: http://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/dmr_resul...amp;Submit.y=14

Foley's (Pasadena)

Developer: Gulf Coast Land & Development Co.

Architects: Lloyd, Morgan & Jones

General Contractors: Tellepsen Construction Co.

What year do you think this would have been?

Well, the historicaeriels maps show that in 1957 houses stood where the Pasadena Bank Bldg, Foley's, and the Pasadena Main Library were. In the 1964 map, they were all gone. There are faint lot outlines where the houses once stood. An empty culdesac is visible north of Foley's. How eerie...I had no idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the library has reopened, but i quote"Final touches are still needed and some services are not quite ready for the public so the library will be open with limited hours while final adjustments are made.", so the hours are

Temporary Library Hours

M - F 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

When i went last week it said these were March Hours....

I'm hoping to bike over there tomorrow, and take pictures of the renovations from the outside, they'll probably think I'm a weirdo if i take them from the inside....

Maybe I'll even take pictures of the new Pasadena Police Dept since they're next to each other....

• 1 year later...

Read recently in the Pasadena library website that there was a library that sat on Tatar St, right off of Southmore, from what I can figure, close to the post office & Pasadena bank bldg. They quickly outgrew it, built a much bigger one, that's the one that sits behind city hall, which I grew up loving.

Says the smaller library bldg. was sold to doctors for medical offices. Can't figure out exactly where that sat, anyone know? Is the bldg. still standing? Was designed by the same architects as Sears - Pasadena, Cowell & Neuhaus.

• The title was changed to Pasadena Southmore

Archived