Little New Orleans?

Does anyone think a "Little New Orleans" could spring up in Houston, or will the evacuees just assimulate? I'm thinking something along the lines of the ethnic communities around the country, with shops and amenities that cater to their needs and preferences. Though the evacuees are Black, I can tell you that they have distinctly different tastes and preferences than Black Texans. Hairstyles are an example; I've read that a large amount of barbers and hairdressers have lost their livelihoods since relocating. Musicians and the hip hop "bounce" artists are struggling to recapture their base. Evacuees have also expressed that many of the food products that they love couldn't be found in Texas. I think it would be so cool if there was an area where we could witness an actual "second line" down a Houston street.

On a personal note, I'd like to see it happen because it would preserve culture, and add diversity to the ever expanding cultural fabric of Houston.

http://www.houstonhurricanerecovery.org/Po...07/Default.aspx

Well, it isn't happening around DeSoto in South Inwood. Its not happening around Fondren in Southwest Houston. It's not happening around Westfield in North Houston. Its not happening around Broadway in Southeast Houston. Its not - well, you get the picture.

What food products are they not finding here?

Well, it isn't happening around DeSoto in South Inwood. Its not happening around Fondren in Southwest Houston. It's not happening around Westfield in North Houston. Its not happening around Broadway in Southeast Houston. Its not - well, you get the picture.

Well, its only been a year, and I guess this sort of thing would need time. I remember about three or four months after Katrina the New Orleans Times Picayune did a folllow up on the evacuees living in Houston, and the differences between the two cities. I also remember reading that some of the grocery stores in Houston were trying to accommodate the evacuees by stocking some of their familiar products.

Trae, ask a New Orleanian about Boudain and you might get a "what is that"? Boudain a SW Louisiana (Creole/Cajun) type of cuisine. I agree with you though, Texas Boudain does suck! :D

Does anyone think a "Little New Orleans" could spring up in Houston, or will the evacuees just assimulate? I'm thinking something along the lines of the ethnic communities around the country, with shops and amenities that cater to their needs and preferences. Though the evacuees are Black, I can tell you that they have distinctly different tastes and preferences than Black Texans. Hairstyles are an example; I've read that a large amount of barbers and hairdressers have lost their livelihoods since relocating. Musicians and the hip hop "bounce" artists are struggling to recapture their base. Evacuees have also expressed that many of the food products that they love couldn't be found in Texas. I think it would be so cool if there was an area where we could witness an actual "second line" down a Houston street.

On a personal note, I'd like to see it happen because it would preserve culture, and add diversity to the ever expanding cultural fabric of Houston.

Now, it may have just been by chance, but a month or so after Katrina, I was doing some work for a project in the 77021 zip code, which includes most everything south of Brays Bayou, east of 288, inside of the Loop, and west of the BNSF RR tracks. There were still a disproportionate number of Louisiana plates driving around. I recall that there were a couple of dingey new seafood places that leased space and opened up shop in the area. One was on MLK...don't remember where the other was.

Well, there is that "Little New Orleans" where Brennans is on the edge of Downtown, but that's probably not what you have in mind.
Unfortunately, I don't think a large majority of the Katrina Evacuees can afford Brennan's on a regular basis.

As for boudin, I've never had it east of Lafayette. I'm still trying to figure out what native cuisines they can't find here in Houston though.

I'm still trying to figure out what native cuisines they can't find here in Houston though.

It's the quality more than the quantity. The food in New Orleans is unique to New Orleans, and only New Orleans. You'll find things like po-boys, "gumbo," etouffee, jambalaya, bisque, and whatnot in Houston and other cities, but it's nothing like what you get in New Orleans. It all feels more like a copy rather than the genuine feel you get from the food in New Orleans. Houston may have many of the dishes, but it won't be the same or as good as what most New Orleanians are used to. But I can't say I've ever seen a place offering things like Muffaletta's or real beignets in Houston. And as for seafood, there is obviously plenty of it in Houston, but again, it's just not the same. The shrimp, crabs, oysters, and many different types of fish that you find here are the cream of the crop, and once you get outside of south Louisiana, it's just not the same.

Try going to any Jason's Deli and you will find those there. Major difference will be the size. They are built Texas sized!

I did forget about Jason's Deli, and I don't know why considering they're everywhere now. But I can't say I've ever been to a Jason's Deli, so I don't know how big the Muffaletta's are. This is the original Muffaletta that originated in 1906 at Central Grocery in the French Quarter, and it is big enough to feed at least two people. Are the Muffaletta's at Jason's Deli even bigger than this? :blink:

ARTICLE_458.jpg

The muffalata from Central Grocery is FANTASTIC and a must if you're in the French Quarter, along with, of course, a Huricane at Pat O' Briens and a bengiet at Cafe Du Monde. Touristy, maybe, but we're talking quality here and a fun experience!

Based off of the description of their Muffaletta on the website, their Muff would actually be a bit smaller than the original Muffaletta found in the founding location(s) in New Orleans. The Muff at Jason's Deli is 9 inches across, while the original Muffaletta from Central Grocery is about 10 inches across. Either way, both are big enough to serve as all three of your daily meals. :lol:

It's already been mentioned that boudin is not NOLA food, but I just gotta plug the boudin they sell at Guy's Meat Market. Guy's doesn't make it themselves, they buy it from the maker, but it's goooood stuff.

So where's the best oyster po-boy in town now that Original New Orleans Po-Boy is gone?

I liked the fact that you could get a damn good oyster po-boy at a gas station (Danny & Clyde's) of all places in New Orleans! I wonder if those places made more on their gas or on their fried seafood?!?

The Original Muffaletta can be found in Galveston. Courtesy of the Maceo-Fertitta family (the folks that started it all)...

An Italian immigrant Tony Lovi created the Original Muffaletta in the French Quarters of New Orleans Louisiana in 1901. The Original Muffaletta is made of the finest Italian salami, ham, provolone cheese, in freshly baked round Italian bread, and with a specially blended olive dressing (we can

PaPa's on Lake Conroe makes a Muffaletta to die for, and if you want the best Boudin on the face of the earth, take a drive up to Livingston Texas and visit Doucett's . They offer it by the pound or the plate, They make it in house, and offers it in many different styles. I have to take it to Lousiana when I do business over there, I have been told by good friends I have that are born and raised in Thibideaux Parish, ("Doucett's is da bess, hans down I gair-oan-tee'!") I highly recommend the Texas style boudin (Mesquite Smoked) yes you read that right. Don't knock it till you try it. Call in advance they sell out fast. Brenda has a really nice little place. I'm warning you it's more addictive than crack.

In Texas it's pronounced (Doo-Sett) across the Sabine it's (Doo-Shay)

Doucett's Cajun Boudin Cafe

300 N Houston St

Livingston, TX

Polk County

Phone: (936) 327-8925

I honestly have had Cajun food in LA and SE Texas for years, and really can't tell the difference. I think the idea that food is better in NO is like anything else, 99% of it is in the telling and there is only 1% truth in it.

I honestly have had Cajun food in LA and SE Texas for years, and really can't tell the difference. I think the idea that food is better in NO is like anything else, 99% of it is in the telling and there is only 1% truth in it.

I can tell you that jambalaya differs from Ville Platte to Lake Charles. Trust me, the quality goes down as you head west :lol:

Much of the enjoyment of food comes from the atmosphere in which it's consumed. I know people who swear up and down that the soul food restaurant "This Is It" was better when they were on Andrews St. amid the funky shotgun shacks. More likely is that they're put off by the sterility of the new structure.

It's difficult to lend creedence to those who say the ingredients - especially seafood - are better in Louisiana. It's the same Gulf of Mexico, and I doubt if shrimp, crabs or oysters respect state boundries. I've heard claims that red beans and rice just doesn't have the same texture when prepared at high altitudes, but since Houston and New Orleans are both virtually at sea level, this doesn't apply.

There's no reason a capable cook couldn't faithfully reproduce the foods of Louisiana west of the border; but to reproduce the experience of a meal in New Orleans or Cajun country would be virtually impossible.

Though I agree with you about the atmosphere, I will say that authentic Cajun and Creole food def tastes different in Louisiana. There are probably hundreds of Mexican restaurants in Houston that can purchase the same ground beef, tortillas, etc and have a tacos that taste different. Same goes for BBQ (Kansas City & Texas) or any other cuisine. IMO, technique, herbs, spice, etc should be taken into consideration in this topic.

It's the quality more than the quantity. The food in New Orleans is unique to New Orleans, and only New Orleans. You'll find things like po-boys, "gumbo," etouffee, jambalaya, bisque, and whatnot in Houston and other cities, but it's nothing like what you get in New Orleans. It all feels more like a copy rather than the genuine feel you get from the food in New Orleans. Houston may have many of the dishes, but it won't be the same or as good as what most New Orleanians are used to. But I can't say I've ever seen a place offering things like Muffaletta's or real beignets in Houston. And as for seafood, there is obviously plenty of it in Houston, but again, it's just not the same. The shrimp, crabs, oysters, and many different types of fish that you find here are the cream of the crop, and once you get outside of south Louisiana, it's just not the same.

Based on your post, it sounds like these things only "feel" like New Orleans when IN New Orleans. So my guess is that perhaps these items will never have the same feeling considering they are not coming from New Orleans

I doubt if shrimp, crabs or oysters respect state boundries.

But some may live amongst DIFFERENT types/amounts of pollution that would affect their flavor.

But some may live amongst DIFFERENT types/amounts of pollution that would affect their flavor.

I've got to agree with you on that. Fresh oysters from Galveston Bay have a very distinctive metallic taste to them that I personally love. It just isn't the same in most other places.

Based on your post, it sounds like these things only "feel" like New Orleans when IN New Orleans. So my guess is that perhaps these items will never have the same feeling considering they are not coming from New Orleans

That is true, IMO, and something I was trying to point out. I agree with the poster who said that the experience of eating the food in the area where it originated is a big part of it all. Someone used an analogy that I would like to add again, a Mexican restaurant in Houston can get the same exact ingredients and use the same cooking teqniques as a small "mom and pop" restaurant anywhere in Mexico, but the experience and overall "feel" of the food may not be the same. It's the same scenario with a seafood restaurant in Houston and in New Orleans. You'll never truly be able to duplicate what makes the food and experience in New Orleans so special.

And to dbigtex56, yes, it's the same Gulf of Mexico, but that doesn't mean what you'll find in the Gulf around SE Louisiana is the same as what you'll get in SE Texas. If you don't believe that seafood coming off the coast of SE Louisiana is any different in taste than what you get off the coast of Texas, then that's fine by me. But most people who are familiar with the food originating in both area's will tell you that is not the case. The Mississippi River Delta and everything the river carries alone affects the seafood in this area, and you won't find that in Texas. It's not about state boundries in this case, it's simply about different geological things affecting the Gulf. The Gulf of Mexico in SE Louisiana is is no way exactly the same as it is in SE Texas, and the same can be said about what is found in the Gulf here.

It's pretty common knowledge that the bay and local catch shrimp in the area of Terrebonne Parish have a higher iodine content, giving them a strong flavor, than most any other areas of the Gulf of Mexico. Just a product or the wetlands and being closest to the mouth of the "Big Muddy", the same can be said for the fresh water muscle beds and oyster harvests. I'd say that's pretty significant when it comes to flavors and food differences don't you think?

Houma, Louisiana, Golden Meadow, Louisiana, Port Fourchon, Louisiana, Bayou La Batre, Alabama are some of the most sought after sea-foods ports in the world when it come to the culinary business. World renowned for the flavor and quality. Chefs seek out seafood from these origins.

Jeebus, had you been to any of those areas pre-Katrina? DeSoto sucked (i live in Inwood). Fondren sucked (I almost bought some condos there for investment property, but the crime rate was too high). Broadway sucked (The Harold Farb hey days were many years ago - those areas suck now. Westfield became "suburban ghetto" well before Katrina.

Those areas are the ones you hear about on TV because the bad things you hear on TV will get you to watch, which gets the stations higher commercial rates. Channel 11 can't say, "well, Inwood South is a bad neighborhood" every day for 5 years (which is how long i have been here), but if someone from N.O. moves there and causes trouble, they can say, "Inwood South is a bad neighborhood. Someone from N.O. is selling drugs and got into a drug battle" and that will be 'new' news. (There can be no drug battle if there isn't someone already there selling and someone new trying to get in on it, but all you hear is "evacuee" or "New Orleans".

Not every evacuee is a low income thug from New Orleans. MOST of them are not.

I've met several people from N.O. since Katrina. As a matter of fact, I just rented a house to a family from N.O. They are very happy to have moved out of one of the apartment complexes in west houston - one that doesn't have many evacuees, but does have the bad elements of Houston (their car was broken into twice in six months). These "good" evacuees are moving away from Houston's bad elements... and they have the same feedback about food.

Things are just different in N.O. and in LA in general. The food is absolutely different. My inlaws are from Opelousa and have lived in Houston for 30+ years. They STILL bring food back from Opelousa, because the food there is just different. My father in law just brought me some boudain and boudain balls... We can't find any like them here in Houston. They may exist, but Houston is almost 600 sq miles, and there isn't a sign pointing to creole food... The food you get from the Greek family is good, but it's not real creole.

But not to threadjack... Just today, I was wondering the same thing as the original poster... Who will be the enterprising people to start Little N.O.? My FIL used to have a catering biz that focused on creole food. I imagine there is some evacuee or few evacuees who can really cook, but they are probably too busy trying to get back into the rat race (ie, find a job amongst a bunch of people who obviously have doubts about people from NO) instead of recognizing the opportunity they have...

carry on.

Archived