Woodall Rogers as it currently exists, impedes pedestrian-life style between downtown and uptown Dallas

Contemp

Isn't that really a compliment? Discovery Green has been a huge success.

It is, but it seems nothing about the planning of the park had Discovery Green in mind. Either this could be Dallas denying that and wanting to stand on its own, or it could be the truth and Houston just trying to take credit for something Dallas is doing well. Either just shows the strange relationship the two cities' residents have towards each other.

It is, but it seems nothing about the planning of the park had Discovery Green in mind. Either this could be Dallas denying that and wanting to stand on its own, or it could be the truth and Houston just trying to take credit for something Dallas is doing well. Either just shows the strange relationship the two cities' residents have towards each other.

..?

Don't you compare our transit system to other cities all the time? What's wrong with comparisons?

I honestly think that you're reading more into this than is actually there. It's just a natural human reaction to compare something that you see to something that you know. They compare it to Bryant Park in their literature. Discovery Green got compared to Bryant Park as well when it got built.

I don't know much about the development, but looking at the pictures, there is definitely a look and feel similarity between the two and there should be.

What's even more interesting is the efforts on the part of some to deny the obvious similarities.

Also interesting to note that they chose a Houston landscape architect to design the deck park.  I'm sure no one gave Discovery Green a thought during the whole process.  ;-)

Houston and Dallas will be compared to each other until the end of time. Sometimes Houston will win sometimes Dallas will win. Most of the time it will be a draw. Anytime you have 2 things that are similar and in relatively close proximity to one another they are going to be compared. It's human nature.

If someone wants to post photos and renderings of something going up in Dallas (or anywhere else) at a website called HOUSTON architecture information forum, they better be prepared to hear a little criticism because just like the stuff that gets built in Houston, nothing is flawless or perfect in Dallas either. If you come here looking for only positive feedback for everything they do in Dallas, you are going to be extremely frustrated.

I will make sure of it.

Please note this portion of the Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up for HAIF:

Respectful discussions only. My-city-is-better-than-your-city flame wars are not permitted on HAIF. "He started it" is not a valid excuse. Both parties in a flame war may have their accounts suspended or terminated. Just walk away. Flames will be deleted without notice.

Do not let this thread devolve into a Houston v. Dallas flamewar.  And keep your comments on the topic at hand.  Do not post about each other.

Actually, it's a sign of honesty.

As a completely unbiased, impartial observer, just driving by and minding my own business, I have noticed that the homeless population absolutely adore Klyde Warren Park even more than Main Street Garden.

Archived