Oak Lawn

Midtowncoog Quote:(I used to work on Denton Drive. Did lunch at Hunky's, hit the card shop, Union Station after work, etc. ")

How long ago was this. Did you enjoy it or not? It must have been in the 80"s because Union station is not a typical hang out.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong.

If they announced this in Montrose, it would never get built.

Those are just apartments for crying out loud.

Read the press release, and be prepared to shake your head.

150 year old trees - LOL!

"Vallera Condos - where you can keep that apartment lifestyle going".

• 1 month later...
It seems like Montrose has been for atleast 7-8 years. I just remember going to

Daiquiri Factory in high school/college and it will still really shady. That was probably in 94-95. But everytime I go home, the area has some new buildings with signs that say "For Sale, Starting at $250,000+". Just like Dallas.

I just hate when I see those old homes, that could be rehabed, torn down. It seems like such a waste. There is history in those homes and so many others.

Who cares about all those trashy old homes, old hustlers and gays! Just because its old doesn't mean it's automatically worth saving. They build crap these days and they built crap back then to.

OAK LAWN is is BOOMING just like the rest of Dallas. The few square blocks of 'undesirable' low income trash are quickly being run out of the area as vast sections are being torn down and being replaced with luxury Town House and Row House and Condo Conversions. I drove through there just other night on my way to a seedy mexican area with a fabo mexican restaurant and was amazed to see fully 1/2 of all those scary apartments in the midst of renovation and transformation. Very contemporary and progressive designs. The hustlers and dealers will be run out of there once these projects are completed.

As for those numbskulls in this thread that think "montrose" is the cat's meow, Oak Lawn projects all in the sleazy crime zone you think your referring to, have been published in such glamorous publications as DWELL, WALLPAPER, ARCHITECTURE RECORD, PREFAB, LUXIST, MOCO. Since I subscribe to all, I can announce with dictatorial authority that "montrose" has never been featured in any way. nuff said on that.

There can be no high rise building other than three floors in this area because of Love Field. Oaklawn Avenue is the dividing zone for High Rises. Even all those awful gay bars and gay shoppes have all recently gone over spectacular renovations and street scape improvements. The area is now quite lovely despite the seedy activities that go on there.

Who cares about all those trashy old homes, old hustlers and gays! Just because its old doesn't mean it's automatically worth saving. They build crap these days and they built crap back then to.

OAK LAWN is is BOOMING just like the rest of Dallas. The few square blocks of 'undesirable' low income trash are quickly being run out of the area as vast sections are being torn down and being replaced with luxury Town House and Row House and Condo Conversions. I drove through there just other night on my way to a seedy mexican area with a fabo mexican restaurant and was amazed to see fully 1/2 of all those scary apartments in the midst of renovation and transformation. Very contemporary and progressive designs. The hustlers and dealers will be run out of there once these projects are completed.

As for those numbskulls in this thread that think "montrose" is the cat's meow, Oak Lawn projects all in the sleazy crime zone you think your referring to, have been published in such glamorous publications as DWELL, WALLPAPER, ARCHITECTURE RECORD, PREFAB, LUXIST, MOCO. Since I subscribe to all, I can announce with dictatorial authority that "montrose" has never been featured in any way. nuff said on that.

There can be no high rise building other than three floors in this area because of Love Field. Oaklawn Avenue is the dividing zone for High Rises. Even all those awful gay bars and gay shoppes have all recently gone over spectacular renovations and street scape improvements. The area is now quite lovely despite the seedy activities that go on there.

Who are you? I am biting my tongue to keep from saying what I have already deleted twice now. Do you not realize - or care - that you are offending people with posts like this one? If you don't see it... this post is offensive to the following and for the following reasons:

1. Houstonians who are fond of Montrose... you refer to people in this site as "numbskulls" because they have a preference for Montrose over Oak Lawn and even belittle them by name-dropping the names of "glamourous publications" that some how make you glamourous because you subscribe to them all....

2. Dallasites who happen to be fond of Oak Lawn the way it is. You refer to the bars in Oak Lawn as "seedy" and by association you implied that all the "gays", as you put it, are seedy. You mention the "seedy" activity that IN YOU OPNION takes place in the bars, yet the first question that popped in my mind was HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT GOES ON IN THOSE BARS UNLESS YOU GO TO THEM YOURSELF? And, if you go to them yourself - does that make you seedy?

3. The people who might happen to live in the "scary" apartments or areas that you deem to be unworthy. Uh, newsflash for you... Dallas is NOT primarily a city of wealth. In fact, the weathy people of this country make up less than 1% of the population so even if you really do have the kind of money that you're posing to have on this site, then YOU are the minority, not the majority - even in Dallas.

4. People who have affection for older homes and like to preserve the history of neighborhoods. I live in a 1925 cottage in a neighborhood that most people would love to live in. But, I won't sell my house because I know they'll tear it down and build some horrible McMansion which, despite the income of the "new money" McMansion dwellers, ruins the integrity of 100-year-old neighborhoods in many cases.

5. The people who do not live in North Dallas. Here is another news flash for you. ALL of Dallas is not booming. Much of Dallas is - but there are areas of the city that are incredibly neglected and run down and continue to fall into a more and more depressing state while other areas of the city continue to flourish. Uptown, Downtown, and Oak Lawn are experiencing a lot of building, growth, and revitalization. But, go to West, South, or parts of East Dallas and you'll see that there are many parts of the city where Uptown-like growth is not happening. And, the city of Dallas itself is not booming in terms of populatin growth. In fact, Dallas is sliding down the population rankings while other cities in the state are booming and either passing or catching up to Dallas....

Ouch. Here we go again. Montrose is very cool. I wish I had bought my house there, but got too much bang for my buck a little further out. Oak Lawn too is a trendy and cool place. As far as the condos above, they are nice enough. Let's be nice to our Dallas neighbors. We know that Montrose is all that! B)

How about the panoramic view of Houston from Skybar on Montrose?

Bottom line, Honey, is it is all good. You can't be fabulously rich if no one is poor. Think about it. Really.

Clearly, you are neither fabulous, nor rich. But, if it makes you feel better to talk like you are, then you are in the perfect city for it. That's why I left.

You are damn funny, though, thinking a bunch of Houstonians would be envious of THAT! Don't you understand, that's exactly what we laugh at...your faux pretentiousness.

:lol:

Okay, I'm confused. I just read a reply to my response to Rosewood and now it's gone. Hmm.... Rosewood, I was going to reply to your claimes that I and stuck in a rundown bungalow, etc. But now I guess I can't because your last post has evaporated. I will say this, I'm not at all a $30,000 a year millionaire and I don't think you are who I had you pegged as being either...

Archived