Houston Comets Maybe Leaving?

Hope they get to stay in town. There are many of my neighbors that attend the games regularly with thier kids.

Houston's WNBA dynasty up for sale

Comets' owner would like to see them stay here

For sale: one WNBA team, 10 years old, relatively good condition.

On Tuesday, it was confirmed that team owner Leslie Alexander has determined to sell the Houston Comets, though he wants the franchise to remain here.

"After a lot of discussion and trying to figure out what's best for the Comets organization, Mr. Alexander has decided to put the team up for sale and see if there are any local buyers out there who might be interested," said Tad Brown, senior vice president of sales, marketing and broadcasting for the Comets and NBA's Houston Rockets. "Ideally, (the sale) would be (to local investors).

"There are a few people who have expressed interest, and we'll continue to talk with those people. We're going to evaluate each opportunity on its own."

Brown said Alexander wants to concentrate his efforts on the operation of the Rockets. Once they're sold, the Comets will follow a trend in the WNBA, disassociating themselves from the NBA franchise that had facilitated their existence.

Brown wouldn't divulge the potential local investors or price tag. Recent sales of some WNBA franchises have netted as much as $10 million............................

Story here..

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4267257.html

with comments like

"I have a lot of great memories here. But I still think we'll have a team here in Houston, Texas, in '07."

and

"Comets' owner would like to see them stay here"

do leave a small amount of doubt about the team's tenure in houston

Edited by sevfiv

How do they do for attendance?

Attendane levels have gone down a little since they moved to Toyota Center according to my neighbors. Due to the move, the price of tickets increased. The games are popular with families with kids. If you have a family of 4 or 5, even a small ticket increase can become unattractive when you factor in cost at the concession stands.

I know from the article that the usual asking price for a WNBA team is $10 Million. Do you think Alexander's expecting a whole lot more because the team's a dynasty? And what are the chances of a local businesswoman buying the team at that price? Just curious, because there aren't that many women I can think of that own sports teams; men's or women's. Only owner that comes to my mind is the owner of the St. Louis Rams.

• The title was changed to Houston Comets Maybe Leaving?