Kona Grill--A Review

My sister took my family to Kona Grill on Sunday evening for dinner and we were very impressed. We had terrific service and everything was delicious. Many items are a twist on Pacific-American cuisine. The sushi was AWESOME, super duper fresh. Here's what we had:

a sushi roll with salmon, avacado, eel, shrimp, yellowtail. Delicious. Great little appetizer!!

I had their signature dish--the Macadamia nut chicken. Holy cow--it was good. 2 chicken breasts encrusted with macadamia nuts and lightly pan-fried. The vegetables were savory and delicious--it was a mix of peppers, carrots, etc...and it had obviously been stir fried, mmm!

The chicken breasts were laid on a pile of mashed potatoes that were heavenly--rich and had some sort of cheese--gouda or similar--mixed into them. Wonderful.

Hubby had a full rack of the 5-spice ribs. Holy cow, they were HOT! He loved them.

Sister had the shrimp pad thai--awesome!

For dessert, the three of us (and Feebs LOL) shared a piece of Macadamia nut pie....um.....omg! :wub: Loved it!

My sister took my family to Kona Grill on Sunday evening for dinner and we were very impressed. We had terrific service and everything was delicious. Many items are a twist on Pacific-American cuisine. The sushi was AWESOME, super duper fresh. Here's what we had:

a sushi roll with salmon, avacado, eel, shrimp, yellowtail. Delicious. Great little appetizer!!

I had their signature dish--the Macadamia nut chicken. Holy cow--it was good. 2 chicken breasts encrusted with macadamia nuts and lightly pan-fried. The vegetables were savory and delicious--it was a mix of peppers, carrots, etc...and it had obviously been stir fried, mmm!

The chicken breasts were laid on a pile of mashed potatoes that were heavenly--rich and had some sort of cheese--gouda or similar--mixed into them. Wonderful.

Hubby had a full rack of the 5-spice ribs. Holy cow, they were HOT! He loved them.

For dessert, the three of us (and Feebs LOL) shared a piece of Macadamia nut pie....um.....omg! :wub: Loved it!

How were the prices?

3 delicious, 2 Holy Cow's and an 'Oh my God'.

Good review.

I am so not feeling well today. You would think I could get more creative! :lol: I just re-read it now and was like, "um, wow, okay, how many times can I say Holy Cow?" :lol: I think I better go back to bed...

The prices are par for the course for Galleria dining (yet seemed a bit more reasonable)--my chicken dish was $15, sister's pad thai was about the same. I think Matt's ribs were a little more because he got a full rack. I can't remember how much our sushi roll was. You can visit their website by going to http://www.konagrill.com unfortunately, they don't list prices.

I've been to the Sugar Land location with people from my office a few times. I think it's pretty lame. I'll agree the sushi is fairly good -- though there is better sushi to be had, even in Sugar Land.

The rest has been mediocre, at best, with bad service, to boot. I've tried the chicken you discuss and found it flavorless and dull. It's not bad -- just nothing special. They call it their signature item.

I've also tried the fish tacos, a couple of salads and some other dishes. Never has anything really stood out. Furthermore, the place is dead during rush hours. This one won't last long in FBC. Maybe the Gal location is better.

I've been to the Sugar Land location with people from my office a few times. I think it's pretty lame. I'll agree the sushi is fairly good -- though there is better sushi to be had, even in Sugar Land.

The rest has been mediocre, at best, with bad service, to boot. I've tried the chicken you discuss and found it flavorless and dull. It's not bad -- just nothing special. They call it their signature item.

I've also tried the fish tacos, a couple of salads and some other dishes. Never has anything really stood out. Furthermore, the place is dead during rush hours. This one won't last long in FBC. Maybe the Gal location is better.

You are most familiar with the food there to consider this place lame. I wouldnt patronize it more than once if i considered it lame.

I've been to the Sugar Land location with people from my office a few times. I think it's pretty lame.
Why do you keep going back? Co-worker peer-pressure?
This one won't last long in FBC. Maybe the Gal location is better.
Maybe they'll open one in SoDo.

Why do you keep going back? Co-worker peer-pressure?

Maybe they'll open one in SoDo.

I've been 4 times in the year (roughly) that it's been open. And yeah -- different people from work keep wanting to try it. Remember, this is Sugar Land I'm talking about. There's not a lot in this category to choose.

• 1 month later...

I have to say that the 1 time I dined at Kona it was the worst meal I have had in the past 12 months. Since dining there last December I have had a few people tell me how good they thought it was? Maybe I'll try it again but it will be tough. I had the Macadamian Chicken and some noodle dish. The chicken was lifeless and the noodle dish was inedible.

I have to say that the 1 time I dined at Kona it was the worst meal I have had in the past 12 months. Since dining there last December I have had a few people tell me how good they thought it was? Maybe I'll try it again but it will be tough. I had the Macadamian Chicken and some noodle dish. The chicken was lifeless and the noodle dish was inedible.

I have to agree, I ate there a while back and I thought I was in the bland diet line at Luby's. Tasteless was a kind word.

A few of us went to the Galleria location for the first time a couple weeks ago, and we were pretty impressed.

As mentioned, the sushi was very fresh, and though I've had better, I can't find any reason not to get it again.

Two of us has the pork tenderloin, fresh veggies, and cheddar mashed potatoes, which was absolutely delicious. I can't say enough good things about it.

In my experience, I wouldn't put it anywhere close to the same realm as a Chili's or Friday's.

Archived