Downtown Flood Pics

ToolMan

Great pics, thanks! I was wondering about the flooding up there, but I skipped it to go north on Taylor...only to be foiled by the stupid train blocking every street but Studement, which was flooded! I hear the train backed up about 5:30 though...but not before causing a parking lot on Washington!

how will it ever be possible to have an improved bayou park system when this happens on a regular basis? will the extra retention ox bow lakes and marshlands (as defined by the buffalo bayou project) be enough to reduce this level of flooding? i hope the buffalo bayou partnership has "done the math". when we have this level of downpour i have to wonder if we are flirting with a huge disaster. i cannot see how we can handle a more serious flooding event.

btw, has anyone noticed that the weather channel only reports on flooding and other negative weather events in houston. they love to show gorgeous days in atlanta and boston, yet houston seems to have nothing but ugly weather events. i think there is some bias there.

how will it ever be possible to have an improved bayou park system when this happens on a regular basis? will the extra retention ox bow lakes and marshlands (as defined by the buffalo bayou project) be enough to reduce this level of flooding? i hope the buffalo bayou partnership has "done the math". when we have this level of downpour i have to wonder if we are flirting with a huge disaster. i cannot see how we can handle a more serious flooding event.

btw, has anyone noticed that the weather channel only reports on flooding and other negative weather events in houston. they love to show gorgeous days in atlanta and boston, yet houston seems to have nothing but ugly weather events. i think there is some bias there.

I'm guessing that, no matter how many detention ponds, wetlands etc are created, all that they can do is reduce the flooding by a relatively small percentage. These flood control projects might only be barely keeping up with the loss of permeable ground due to development. Plus, any improvements in city drainage infrastructure, as would be done if the upcoming bonds are voted for, would only increase the burdens on the bayous as more neighborhood water is drained.

I'm guessing that, no matter how many detention ponds, wetlands etc are created, all that they can do is reduce the flooding by a relatively small percentage. These flood control projects might only be barely keeping up with the loss of permeable ground due to development. Plus, any improvements in city drainage infrastructure, as would be done if the upcoming bonds are voted for, would only increase the burdens on the bayous as more neighborhood water is drained.

Yes, great pics. I was getting tired of the same old chron.com pics.

From what I've heard about this storm, the property damage is FAR LESS than Houston has had before for similar rain. Yes, the bayous are flooded. Yes, the underpasses are flooded. But very few homes and businesses have any damage whatsoever. THAT is a tremendous improvement. We had a "perfect storm" yesterday, 3 systems combined over Houston dumping a foot of rain. That's the equivalent of 12 feet of snow. At least that's what I was told growing up in Wisconsin. The news guys were saying that the last time Houston had rain like this, 1000+ homes flooded. The improvements Houston made seemed to work well.

I hope they keep making improvements. Bad storms will continue to batter Houston. And yes, I hope the Buffalo Bayou Project has the foresight to combat these flooding issues.

Edited by BWSchultz

Yes, great pics. I was getting tired of the same old chron.com pics.

From what I've heard about this storm, the property damage is FAR LESS than Houston has had before for similar rain. Yes, the bayous are flooded. Yes, the underpasses are flooded. But very few homes and businesses have any damage whatsoever. THAT is a tremendous improvement. We had a "perfect storm" yesterday, 3 systems combined over Houston dumping a foot of rain. That's the equivalent of 12 feet of snow. At least that's what I was told growing up in Wisconsin. The news guys were saying that the last time Houston had rain like this, 1000+ homes flooded. The improvements Houston made seemed to work well.

I hope they keep making improvements. Bad storms will continue to batter Houston. And yes, I hope the Buffalo Bayou Project has the foresight to combat these flooding issues.

The rain was localized comparatively. sw houston didn't get hit hard. There's water still standing on Telephone rd and the beltway. the volume of rain yesterday was more than drainage system could deliver to bayous and streams. My old elementary in the same area has classes cancelled today because the streets are flooded.

The rain was localized comparatively. sw houston didn't get hit hard. There's water still standing on Telephone rd and the beltway. the volume of rain yesterday was more than drainage system could deliver to bayous and streams. My old elementary in the same area has classes cancelled today because the streets are flooded.

Yes, the SW side didn't have the huge rain, but I wouldn't call this storm localized at all. A good comparison would be the June 18? storm earlier this summer which also dumped nearly a foot a rain. However, that was pretty much only from Pasadena to Hobby. Much more localized than the storm yesterday. Pearland to the Woodlands, Galveston to Kingwood. Almost everyone soaked.

Many of the feeders around town are still under water. B8 South, eastbound at Telephone. Gulf, southbound between Clear Lake City and El Dorado.

Yes, the SW side didn't have the huge rain, but I wouldn't call this storm localized at all. A good comparison would be the June 18? storm earlier this summer which also dumped nearly a foot a rain. However, that was pretty much only from Pasadena to Hobby. Much more localized than the storm yesterday. Pearland to the Woodlands, Galveston to Kingwood. Almost everyone soaked.

Many of the feeders around town are still under water. B8 South, eastbound at Telephone. Gulf, southbound between Clear Lake City and El Dorado.

i can take that. i just dont think that much of the flooding seen was necessarily due to rain but run off to bayous/streams....harris county flood control says heights and white oak rain gauge had less than 5 inches but yet the water levels were high there. my parents live in the hobby flood area and their guage had a little more than 10. she said it was just like the june rains. unforunately some houses flooded again.

at the height of the storm yesterday i was on telephone rd over sims bayou. while telephone was partially flooded, sims bayou still had additional capacity. that project has worked wonders for the area.

Edited by musicman

I'm not sure how the following affected all of Houston's bayou's but all the news stations kept talking about the high tide during the worst of the storm. That coupled with the winds blowing perpendicular to the coast pushing water higher. I'm just saying what I heard. I don't know the details.

Historically speaking, as you all may know, Houston was going to be the State Capitol, but the constant rain and muddy roads detered developers from keeping the seat of govt. here. Also, remember when Shell Plaza One was being built, water pumps were installed in the underground floors to keep everything dry.

I think we have to face it........Houston is a hot Seattle. I believe it is always going to be wet. Very wet.

And to build up areas around Houston to try to combat the low lying land, would only create run off to other places south......flooding much of Southern East TX. I am not sure how city managers plan to negotiate that type of problem.

m.