Broadway Residental Options

C2H

I'm trying to move to the Houston area in December and i need some advice. I've been looking at apartments to rent to start out. I don't have Uptown or Downtown/ Midtown money right now and just need some place that's decent and affordable. Last time i was in Houston, i was viewing some apartments off Broadway St about a half a mile from Hobby Airport. They appeared decent and even looked nice in the inside . But is this a bad area for crime and safety? Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

I'm trying to move to the Houston area in December and i need some advice. I've been looking at apartments to rent to start out. I don't have Uptown or Downtown/ Midtown money right now and just need some place that's decent and affordable. Last time i was in Houston, i was viewing some apartments off Broadway St about a half a mile from Hobby Airport. They appeared decent and even looked in the inside of some. But is this a bad area for crime and safety? Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

rps will probably chime in here since he is nearby but I will have to say that crime is high. many felt that these have been a detriment to the area. I will say that there is a police substation there which helps. The area has been very active to try and fight crime so that is a positive. I will add that there are worse apartments. Do you know where you'll be working? was wondering why this location specifically?

My cousin is pulling some strings to get me a job at the Water Department off Leeland Street, not far from downtown. So more than likely that's where i'll be. This area is only like 10 min from where i'll be working, so that's the main reason. Plus It's only a 2 min drive from the 610 loop. So you say the crime is high? Has it been like that recently or in the past long time ago?

My cousin is pulling some strings to get me a job at the Water Department off Leeland Street, not far from downtown. So more than likely that's where i'll be

Leeland and Cullen? Try looking for a place closer in. There are a number of dupelxes and fourplexes in Eastwood with units available. You might even get into a single family residence at a reasonable price.

According to MLS listing #9244104, there is a 2/1 house at 4618 Clay Street for rent at $575/mo. Its been on the market for 5 days. From the pics, it looks like a nice place for the price. EDIT: Looking at the listing more closely, it might be a duplex arrangement...can't really tell.

hr1782660-1.jpg

hr1782660-3.jpg

hr1782660-5.jpg

I have nothing nice to say about the apartments down there. They are big complexes with their share of issues. There is one exception maybe. Someone bought up a really small complex of about 20 townhomes on Glen Prairie. The complex was vacant and they totally rehabbed the townhomes, which are actually very nice. The small complex across the street looks like hell though & around the corner on Leonora ain't nuthin nice.

Dang are they THAT bad? The neighborhood seemed kept up pretty well and in good shape. The only thing i don't like is the amount of trees in that area. Makes it feel like you're living in the backwoods.

Dang are they THAT bad? The neighborhood seemed kept up pretty well and in good shape. The only thing i don't like is the amount of trees in that area. Makes it feel like you're living in the backwoods.

broadway will hopefully be getting some housekeeping soon - and hopefully not getting rid of those abominable trees! :blink:

I have nothing nice to say about the apartments down there. They are big complexes with their share of issues. There is one exception maybe. Someone bought up a really small complex of about 20 townhomes on Glen Prairie. The complex was vacant and they totally rehabbed the townhomes, which are actually very nice. The small complex across the street looks like hell though & around the corner on Leonora ain't nuthin nice.

Definately stay away from Leonora.

I think some of the apartments on broadway would be passable. A lot of them seem to be well maintained.

It certainly isn't gulfton.

Not sure what the rental rate is in the complex you liked but if it is anywhere near the rate of the house Niche posted then i would definately go for the house. Less neighbors probably equals less problems.

There are also lots of garage apartments thoughout the east end - that would offer you another economical option.

Trees are our friends :) not the scary ones from HR puffenstuf though.

A great resource would be the neighborhood specific boards on this site- like The Heights. There are a lot of affordable garage apartments and duplexes in the area. Also, check the Chron/Press on line. You'll get people advertising rentals in there that are not going to put them on apartment websites or apartment finder publications.

• The title was changed to Broadway Residental Options

Archived