Dallas Construction

houstonfella

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is nothing new...Yet it keeps being brought up as if it's a new discovery or something. We will begin to reap the benifits of a turn around here soon. :rolleyes:

It is only brought up when you insist that downtown is booming...in spite of the facts. And, yes, some of us do get a kick out of busting your chops, dallasboy. Not necessarily Dallas' chops, just yours.

Hey, I'll make you a deal. If you will go away until the turnaround begins, we'll stop bringing up the vacancy rate. Deal? :lol:

It is only brought up when you insist that downtown is booming...in spite of the facts. And, yes, some of us do get a kick out of busting your chops, dallasboy. Not necessarily Dallas' chops, just yours.

Hey, I'll make you a deal. If you will go away until the turnaround begins, we'll stop bringing up the vacancy rate. Deal? :lol:

Don't call him Dallasboy. It is Dallasboi :lol::lol::lol: He doesn't respect anything positive I say about Dallas, because, really, I think Dallas is a pretty city and I have friends there, but hate winter so Dallas is out as a permanent location for me. By the way, don't think those Dallasites (?) (sounds pedofile-ish) would use office vacancies against First City Texas if they could, but, hey, Houston is The Energy Capital of the World -- that's how that works. The Dallas "turn around" hasn't happened since that 2001 posting (but maybe in Cedar Springs :lol: ). But keep dreamin' :P

By the way, Houstonians, that tall, new Texas Med Ctr building is starting to look really impressive, along with Mosaic's twin 30-story highrise towers overlooking Hermann Park under construction nearby. B) But, as we all know, Houston is Texas' largest city and must build and get better, accordingly. In the 60s & 70s we changed the world. In the 21st Century, Houston still has the same resolve. Good luck, Dallas. Fort Worth will help you (trust me on this -- you need Fort Worth). Pasadena, Texas has helped Houston and is a great suburb. They have a 30 story highrise going up on Clear Lake that is mind-blowing and many others in the works on the waterfront (Galveston Bay and Clear Lake). Houston doesn't fight with its neighbors, we work together to create a big and inspiring city which we don't have to label "plex" at the end of our Greater Houston. Lots of love from Houston.

P.S. The San Jacinto Monument (nation's tallest and the birthplace of Texas) has completed its reconstruction. Catch the elevator to the top to see America's 4th largest city :wub:

o.k .........We all know that you houstonians will never let us forget how high our vacancy rate is...It's been drilled in all of our heads over and over and over and over :wacko: However I have noticed that some Houstonians seem to get off on that fact. So.... Does that make houston the superior one? :huh: Just curious? Or is this just an observation that seems to used against Dallas? This is nothing new...Yet it keeps being brought up as if it's a new discovery or something. We will begin to reap the benifits of a turn around here soon. :rolleyes:

Good luck with that downtown turn around supposedly coming soon. The world has been hearing that from Dallas-booster types for 20 years... and still we wait

Interesting numbers.

It will be interesting to see these numbers once the buildings that are being converted to residential will not count against Dallas in a couple of years. I read somewhere on SSP that the vacancy rate will count against Dallas until it is officially opened as a residential condo or apartment. Dallas has alot of that going on right now. Some of them opens in the next few months. Hopefully it works out for them so we can see more of them.

And what we will see is there are just so many people willing to move into those types of highrises in the middle of a financial district with few amenities. But I hope Dallas can change all that because they do have so many things going on up there that that could be a huge plus for Dallas. Houston will be a little slower and cautious, but when we get there, we are going to represent First City, Texas very well. Luck to all. B)

P.S. The San Jacinto Monument (nation's tallest and the birthplace of Texas) has completed its reconstruction. Catch the elevator to the top to see America's 4th largest city :wub:

and Texas' second largest metro area...

...sorry, but it is what it is

and Texas' second largest metro area...

...sorry, but it is what it is

That's OK. Our metro is 10 counties and I believe North Texas contains 16 counties up there (probably part of Oklahoma too :lol: ) When you add adjacent Bryan-College Station and Beaumont's metros, tack that 500,000+ population to Houston's (still less than 16 counties) and you have 6 million inhabitants. Not saying that it matters one way or the other .... another half million? Won't even notice when you have 5.4 million already. Of course the view from the top of the Monument, on a clear day, you can see Houston's many urban centers and Texas' tallest skylines and one of the largest Ports in the world. Plus they have great food at Monument Inn where you can watch those huge ships ease past your table bringing more goods to Texans. B)

:lol: Just wait and see............... You will eat all of those words.(trust me) ;)

That's OK. Our metro is 10 counties and I believe North Texas contains 16 counties up there (probably part of Oklahoma too :lol: ) When you add adjacent Bryan-College Station and Beaumont's metros, tack that 500,000+ population to Houston's (still less than 16 counties) and you have 6 million inhabitants. Not saying that it matters one way or the other .... another half million? Won't even notice when you have 5.4 million already. Of course the view from the top of the Monument, on a clear day, you can see Houston's many urban centers and Texas' tallest skylines and one of the largest Ports in the world. Plus they have great food at Monument Inn where you can watch those huge ships ease past your table bringing more goods to Texans. B)

Yet you won't let us forget houston is the 4th largest city in America and you keep forgetting that nobody cares :D

Don't call him Dallasboy. It is Dallasboi :lol::lol::lol: He doesn't respect anything positive I say about Dallas, because, really, I think Dallas is a pretty city and I have friends there, but hate winter so Dallas is out as a permanent location for me. By the way, don't think those Dallasites (?) (sounds pedofile-ish) would use office vacancies against First City Texas if they could, but, hey, Houston is The Energy Capital of the World -- that's how that works. The Dallas "turn around" hasn't happened since that 2001 posting (but maybe in Cedar Springs :lol: ). But keep dreamin' :P

By the way, Houstonians, that tall, new Texas Med Ctr building is starting to look really impressive, along with Mosaic's twin 30-story highrise towers overlooking Hermann Park under construction nearby. B) But, as we all know, Houston is Texas' largest city and must build and get better, accordingly. In the 60s & 70s we changed the world. In the 21st Century, Houston still has the same resolve. Good luck, Dallas. Fort Worth will help you (trust me on this -- you need Fort Worth). Pasadena, Texas has helped Houston and is a great suburb. They have a 30 story highrise going up on Clear Lake that is mind-blowing and many others in the works on the waterfront (Galveston Bay and Clear Lake). Houston doesn't fight with its neighbors, we work together to create a big and inspiring city which we don't have to label "plex" at the end of our Greater Houston. Lots of love from Houston.

Thanks for correcting my name......And No we don't need Fortworth,but thats another argument in itself.You can bring up all the magnificent factors about Houston that nobody ever knew or for that matter even care about all you want.People will still draw their own oppinion about Houston.That wont make Houston any more or any less attractive, to me it's all about the personal experiecne that a person has while visiting. So the suburbs of houston can build all the 30 storey towers to the moon and if you are not going Huntsville or Centervill you probably won't see em :rolleyes:

Thanks for correcting my name......And No we don't need Fortworth,but thats another argument in itself.You can bring up all the magnificent factors about Houston that nobody ever knew or for that matter even care about all you want.People will still draw their own oppinion about Houston.That wont make Houston any more or any less attractive, to me it's all about the personal experiecne that a person has while visiting. So the suburbs of houston can build all the 30 storey towers to the moon and if you are not going Huntsville or Centervill you probably won't see em :rolleyes:

That's OK. Our metro is 10 counties and I believe North Texas contains 16 counties up there (probably part of Oklahoma too :lol: )

The DFW metro area is 12 counties, not 16. There is a buffer between it and Oklahoma, which you wouldn't think is there with the compaign Oklahoma has to lure Metroplex business and residents. As a curious factoid, those 12 counties are a physically smaller area than the counties that make of metro Houston.

I imagine the 16 county number you're coming up with is the 16 counties that the North Central Texas Council of Governments looks at, at DFWinfo.com. The Houston equivalent uses more counties as well.

Jason

P.S. Red, I haven't been ignoring your post. I've been in SoCal and will try to respond this evening.

Wikipedia shows DFW with 12 counties in 2005 at 5.8 million; Houston with 10 counties at 5.3 million. Outside DFW's metroplex, there are no adjacent metropolitan areas. Adjacent to Houston there is: Bryan College Station at approx 165,000; Golden Triangle 365,000; and next to that one Lake Charles at 165,000. So basically (and we may be more sprawling down here, but that isn't anything new), the six million people that live on the coast are good folks just like the ones that live 250 miles north of here. It's nice to say Houston is Texas' largest city and the Chamber of Commerce likes that kind of stuff. I don't want to be hatin' because I enjoy the "friendly" (hopefully) rivalry we have. And, Dallasboi (gurrrlll!!!!) to say "no body cares" how big Houston is, because you are having a bad hair day, is just about as stupid as you being on a Houston board with your Dallatude, because I, along with a lot of HAIFers, do care. Dallas was close to Houston in population decades ago. However, there's just something down here on the Bayou that keeps us gaining and gaining. Now, by my calculations, Dallas and Fort Worth proper (city limits only) contain 677 sq miles and 1.9 million people. Houston is around 600 sq miles (square that is) and we have nearly 2.1 people. Also, compare Harris County population with Dallas County. Ouch :rolleyes:

Dallasboi: you don't care but visit this HOUSTON board over and over and over. :wacko:

Sorry, you lost me at Pasadena.

You guys don't give credit to your burbs, but rate Fort Worth and Dallas without the burbs and where do you rate? 9th and 33rd or sumpin? We get along with our burbs; sorry, you get lost easily.

Good luck with that downtown turn around supposedly coming soon. The world has been hearing that from Dallas-booster types for 20 years... and still we wait

Yeah, they try so hard to be as big as Houston, but maybe in 20 years they will turn "it" whatever that might be, around. :lol:

You guys don't give credit to your burbs, but rate Fort Worth and Dallas without the burbs and where do you rate? 9th and 33rd or sumpin? We get along with our burbs; sorry, you get lost easily.

Yeah, they try so hard to be as big as Houston, but maybe in 20 years they will turn "it" whatever that might be, around. :lol:

Houstonfella what do you mean "We try so hard to be big as houston"?.....houston is bigger than most cities(New York Included) and it don't make it better than those cities....Come on now!!!!!The city of Atlanta is way smaller than Houston but somehow Houston is always compared to Atlanta.And if smaller means less desireable then why do you go out of your way to let everybody know that Houston is better.....it should be a given because dallas is sooooooooooooooo much smaller than Houston :o

Houstonfella what do you mean "We try so hard to be big as houston"?.....houston is bigger than most cities(New York Included) and it don't make it better than those cities....Come on now!!!!!The city of Atlanta is way smaller than Houston but somehow Houston is always compared to Atlanta.And if smaller means less desireable then why do you go out of your way to let everybody know that Houston is better.....it should be a given because dallas is sooooooooooooooo much smaller than Houston :o

In 1990: Houston 1,630, 553

In 2005: Houston 2,016,582 +386,029

In 1990: Dallas 1,110,549

In 2005: Dallas 1,213,825 +103,276

B) I understand the "metroplex" proper is the 5th largest in the U.S. and we're a paltry 7th largest. But, that said, the City of Houston is yo daddy. Like they say, Dallas and Austin have the pretty boys, but Houston is where the men are. :lol:

In 1990: Houston 1,630, 553

In 2005: Houston 2,016,582 +386,029

In 1990: Dallas 1,110,549

In 2005: Dallas 1,213,825 +103,276

B) I understand the "metroplex" proper is the 5th largest in the U.S. and we're a paltry 7th largest. But, that said, the City of Houston is yo daddy. Like they say, Dallas and Austin have the pretty boys, but Houston is where the men are. :lol:

Houston annexed so much land bro

houstonfella is just having a little fun. Just the ol' friendly in- state rivalry.

The DFW metro area is 12 counties, not 16. There is a buffer between it and Oklahoma, which you wouldn't think is there with the compaign Oklahoma has to lure Metroplex business and residents. As a curious factoid, those 12 counties are a physically smaller area than the counties that make of metro Houston.

I imagine the 16 county number you're coming up with is the 16 counties that the North Central Texas Council of Governments looks at, at DFWinfo.com. The Houston equivalent uses more counties as well.

Jason

P.S. Red, I haven't been ignoring your post. I've been in SoCal and will try to respond this evening.

I just saw that Sherman/Denison has been added to the D-FW Combined Metropolitan Area. So by that standard the D-FW metro area (MetroPlex, if you must) does indeed reach the Oklahoma border.

I just saw that Sherman/Denison has been added to the D-FW Combined Metropolitan Area. So by that standard the D-FW metro area (MetroPlex, if you must) does indeed reach the Oklahoma border.

The DFW Combined Metropolitan area is the combination of the DFW metropolitan area with adjacent metropolitan and micropolitan areas. While I'm sure it has some uses (like airport traffic) it doesn't well represent the urban and suburban fabric of the Metroplex, just like the Houston CMSA doesn't either IMO. The only metros off the top of my head that could be well represented by combining adjacent metros/micros would be the Bay Area and DC.

Jason

The DFW Combined Metropolitan area is the combination of the DFW metropolitan area with adjacent metropolitan and micropolitan areas. While I'm sure it has some uses (like airport traffic) it doesn't well represent the urban and suburban fabric of the Metroplex, just like the Houston CMSA doesn't either IMO. The only metros off the top of my head that could be well represented by combining adjacent metros/micros would be the Bay Area and DC.

Jason

Thanks Jason. You are the only one making sense of all this "we be big" "You be big" stuff." We all are what we are and that's all we can be. I love Texas. I'd move to Dallas in a heart-beat if I got the right offer. Although my heart tells me Houston's my love. And Tierwester, thanks!!!! I think you recognize my allegiance. :)

Wikipedia shows DFW with 12 counties in 2005 at 5.8 million; Houston with 10 counties at 5.3 million. Outside DFW's metroplex, there are no adjacent metropolitan areas. Adjacent to Houston there is: Bryan College Station at approx 165,000; Golden Triangle 365,000; and next to that one Lake Charles at 165,000.

If yall take Lake Charles, LA which is 143 miles from Houston, then DFW will take Waco(95 mi. from Dallas) and Temple/Killeen(130 mi. from Dallas) just to make it even

...this is thread is ridiculous, sorry to add to it

If yall take Lake Charles, LA which is 143 miles from Houston, then DFW will take Waco(95 mi. from Dallas) and Temple/Killeen(130 mi. from Dallas) just to make it even

...this is thread is ridiculous, sorry to add to it

Careful. Houston then may claim Austin (145 miles away) and block DFW's expansion claims to the south...

Archived