Rainbow Lodge At 1 Birdsall St.

Maybe I'm slow, but I just learned that Rainbow Lodge is closing its doors at its current location (Birdsall and Memorial) and reopening on Ella in December. Any ideas what might be planned for their current property?

(I've searched this forum and Googled, but cannot find anything about this.)

• Like 1

Maybe I'm slow, but I just learned that Rainbow Lodge is closing its doors at its current location (Birdsall and Memorial) and reopening on Ella in December. Any ideas what might be planned for their current property?

(I've searched this forum and Googled, but cannot find anything about this.)

I had no idea that Rainbow Lodge was moving. That's where my husband proposed to me. Awwwwwwwww...

Where did this info come from...........the part about it closing and re-opening elsewhere? :(

I learned it from an e-mail sent by my neighborhood's civic association (Rice Military):

"After 29 years in this location in Rice Military, Rainbow Lodge will open the doors of its new restaurant at 2011 Ella Blvd. (East T.C. Jester at Ella Blvd.) on December 1. Please join us as we bid them farewell and wish them much continued success at their new location."

Edited by SWM

I learned it from an e-mail sent by my neighborhood's civic association (Rice Military):

"After 29 years in this location in Rice Military, Rainbow Lodge will open the doors of its new restaurant at 2011 Ella Blvd. (East T.C. Jester at Ella Blvd.) on December 1. Please join us as we bid them farewell and wish them much continued success at their new location."

How could it be what it is anywhere else?

East TJ Jester and Ella? Isn't there some other French restaurant there, or will it be a new building??

It can't and won't.

I agree. I worked there shortly after it opened, when Donald Rainwater (the original head chef) was there. The food was very good then, and it was my most memorable experience as a chef. The kitchen atmosphere then was excellent- the chef, rather than the manager, controlled the kitchen and its output. This was 1978-1979. It was the human atmosphere and the physical environment that made the place then.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that Rainbow Lodge is moving to that other restaurant location on Ella. Then a new company is taking over original Rainbow Lodge and calling it Lodge at Bayou Bend or sumpin' like that. From the little article I read, they are pouring some money into the Lodge and grand opening will be in December. This could be a good thing. You won't find too many picture perfect settings for a restaurant than the original Rainbow Lodge on the Bayou. The good chef stays.

Edited by houstonfella

It seems that Rainbow Lodge is moving to that other restaurant location on Ella. Then a new company is taking over original Rainbow Lodge and calling it Lodge at Bayou Bend or sumpin' like that. From the little article I read, they are pouring some money into the Lodge and grand opening will be in December. This could be a good thing. You won't find too many picture perfect settings for a restaurant than the original Rainbow Lodge on the Bayou. The good chef stays.

Hopefully they'll change the wait-staff and management though.

I live 6 blocks away from the new site and I cannot believe they will even come close to recreating the location on Birdsall. Maybe 5 years ago before Allison, but that location is no longer heavily wooded (or even partially wooded for that matter) and the views are nothing special - the backsides of HEB and Foodarama and the big grassy ditch that is White Oak Bayou. Very surprising that they would even attempt to use that site, but we'll see what they have planned.

derick welling who is listed on the lodge website as the owner is the son of fred welling who owns a great deal of real estate in the area including where the failed orion highrise was located.... they are a great family and i expect that the lodge will be first class in all respects..

When I heard Rainbow Lodge was moving to the old Tour D' Argent location, I was saddened, but I could see the logic. Their property on the bayou there was just too valuable for a restaurant, and condos or something else would soon be on the way. Meanwhile, the Tour D' Argent site was always known for having a nice outdoors, on that little creek there. And it was available. Probably very available.

But then I heard about the other restaurant opening up in their place at the same location. So I'm confused. What's going on?

• 4 weeks later...

La Tour D'Argent closed following the French bashing several years ago when people were pouring French wine down the gutters. They reopened about a year later but never regained their clientele. I ate there about a month before they closed for the last time and it was empty. Their food was interesting and their wine list was excellent but pricey. The grounds weren't much but they did give one a sense of isolation from that somewhat bleak location. Inside it reminded me of a very expensive hunting lodge in Colorado--much like the Rainbow but nicer. If you like the Rainbow Lodge, you'll love the inside of this place if they don't change it.

• 4 weeks later...

The new location of the Rainbow Lodge on Ella Blvd is now open. It was packed on Saturday night. There must have been over one hundred cars there. The valets were running across Ella to the side streets and they also had to park cars along T C Jester in the traffic lane for about one-half mile toward the loop. According to their website, they opened this location on December first so the excitement hasn

• 7 months later...
the lodge at bayou bend is closed and landry's is taking over as brenners steak house

Yeah, I called The Lodge at Bayou Bend today to make reservations. I hadn't been since they changed it and wanted to check it out. The hostess that answered said it was now Brenner's.

Interesting that The Rainbow Lodge made it there for 30 years, and The Lodge at Bayou Bend couldn't make it for one. Talk about customer loyalty! Looks like they took their business with them.

Now Landry's owns it. GREAT!!! What a bunch of crap. How long do you think it will be before they put up the ferris wheel? The Boardwalk on the Bayou [spit].

La Tour D'Argent closed following the French bashing several years ago when people were pouring French wine down the gutters. They reopened about a year later but never regained their clientele. I ate there about a month before they closed for the last time and it was empty. Their food was interesting and their wine list was excellent but pricey. The grounds weren't much but they did give one a sense of isolation from that somewhat bleak location. Inside it reminded me of a very expensive hunting lodge in Colorado--much like the Rainbow but nicer. If you like the Rainbow Lodge, you'll love the inside of this place if they don't change it.

HUH?? It closed because of changes in the Chef and the decor, that streyed from the norm of the resturant, and then the fact Cavatore had nothing to do with the running of it at this time. Our family had been patrons for well over a decade and it had nothing to do with French Bashing, the regulars could have cared less about the trend of french bashing.It closed and "restructured under new management", but its death knoll was the "modernization" of it. The dumbing down of the menu and less exclusive prices made it no longer special. Sometimes change is bad.

Edited by KatieDidIt

• The title was changed to Rainbow Lodge At 1 Birdsall St.