Gowing Down

jmancuso

i have noticed the kmart on westheimer by dunlavy was knocked down as was a building (former language school and offices) on the corner of westheimer and dunlavy is also in the process of being demolished.

what's up? what will be in their place? i hope to got not another walgreens-cvs-eckerd.

I was wondering the same thing. That Kmart wasnt there for longer than 6 years if I recall correctly and I was just thinking of signing up for a speed-spanish class at the language school the other day when I saw they were pulling it apart.

I was at that Kmart when that raid happened. I went in to use the restroom and when I came out there were cops everywhere. Two police helicoptors were flying above. There were probably twenty or so people running to the Kmart telling the cops that they were going to shop there. The funny thing was they were running from the Sonic. It was a dead giveway to the cops on who were really shoppers and who weren't. I am just glad they did not arrest me.

I was wondering the same thing. That Kmart wasnt there for longer than 6 years if I recall correctly and I was just thinking of signing up for a speed-spanish class at the language school the other day when I saw they were pulling it apart.

It was there at least ten years. The first time I ever shopped in it was while I was in town for a conference while I was in college during the fall of 1994. It's been there longer than you think.

It was there at least ten years. The first time I ever shopped in it was while I was in town for a conference while I was in college during the fall of 1994. It's been there longer than you think.

Ahh. I moved to Houston from Boston in 1998 and was under the false impression that it was "brand new" then. (I lived in those nasty little brown apartments behind the language center on Dunvale.)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - I am really curious about what I read above about Town and Country Mall coming down!

I know the mall was on life support for a LONG time. I have been watching to see if it ever did eventually close or recover.

This is the first I heard of its demolition. Can someone please fill me in on some of the details? When did it actually close? Were there any anchors left? (I thought Nieman's was still there and possibly Dillards). What are the plans for redevelopment?

Looking back I think it will be a very interesting case study as to why it didn't work.

One reason it didn't work is because of Memorial City rightdown the street and the fact that you can't really get to it unless you take the frontage roads. When the beltway was built, that spelled doom for the mall and the fact that Memorial was getting bigger.

Wow - I am really curious about what I read above about Town and Country Mall coming down!

I know the mall was on life support for a LONG time.  I have been watching to see if it ever did eventually close or recover.

This is the first I heard of its demolition.  Can someone please fill me in on some of the details?  When did it actually close?  Were there any anchors left? (I thought Nieman's was still there and possibly Dillards).  What are the plans for redevelopment?

Looking back I think it will be a very interesting case study as to why it didn't work.

Neiman's is still there. So is the Luby's. That's about it. Dillards moved to Memorial City. Last I heard, T&C mall would be replaced with office space. I think it would be nice to have an extension of T&C village but I haven't heard anything to that effect.

Across the beltway, where the "Bazaar" once stood, they are digging a huge retention pond to accomodate the inevitable flooding when I-10 is expanded.

I was a little sad to see T&C mall come down. It was nicely laid out and could have been converted to office space (like Westwood mall). But, I can't blame them for wanting to put something there- that mall truly was dead. Even when there were stores in there, many had odd hours and weren't always open at the times posted.

Go to houstonfreeways.com to get a profile of the Town and Country mall,

the new construction of the Beltway interchange with I-10 is profiled along with the mall

Houston Freeways - I-10 @ Beltway 8

Cool pictures. But the building identified as once having housed Lord & Taylor, actually was originally Marshall Field and then was briefly Saks Fifth Avenue. (Saks took over this Marshall Field location at the same time as they bought the one at The Galleria.)

• 1 month later...

The looming retreat of Lord & Taylor stores in Houston is nearly complete. The May Co., the department store's parent, issued a news release saying it planned to close its Galleria Lord & Taylor in early 2005 and sell its empty spot in Willowbrook Mall. The Willowbrook store, which closed about a year ago, has been sold to General Growth Properties, the mall's developer. It wasn't made clear what would happen to the real estate, which May owns. Still no word, however, on the Memorial City Mall location. Considering the store was just built in 2002, May probably wants it to be the last to go.

Speaking of going down- Town & Country Mall is meeting the wrecking ball.  Yesterday, about half the mall was gone- replaced by a huge pile of rubble.  Can't wait to see what's next.

The American Mall is going the way of the drive-in movies. In the 70s they were still everywhere. I took a few dates to them ;) . 20 years ago there were a few still around in most big cities, now I believe they're pretty much gone.

I wonder if anyone salvaged the T&C sign?

ok, this thread title got my hopes up.

I dont know what is going in on the south side of westheimer where the office building used to be. I have heard grumblings about Home Depot going up there, but I hope not.

I am hoping to see a new restaurant or small pad retail center in the place of the old office building.

I haven't heard of any new development. The land is fairly valuable and will most likely be commercial again. Maybe an expansion of Town and Country Village? An office complex? A residential high-rise?

• 2 months later...

Is Memorial City Mall (after the rennovations) filling the position that Town & Country was originally expected to fill? (i.e. backup upscale center behind the Galleria)?

If not, where in Houston do you find a major secondary upscale center to follow the Galleria (which generally includes Highland Village and Post Oak)? Is there a void in the city that needs to be filled?

Archived