Sometimes I Feel Like I'm The Only One Trying To Gentrify This Neighborhood

RedScare

Tory Gattis over at 'Houston Strategies' found this column. He thinks it reminds him of Austin, but I thought it sounded more like the East End. Could danax be ghost writing for 'The Onion'? :lol:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/51852

The problem is that the property owners here are clueless. They fill their yards with pavement and statues of the Virgin Mary, when all they have to do is clear that brush and we'd have a great beer garden or bocce court.
Also, their dogs stay outside and bark all day. I like dogs just fine, but why can't their dogs be smaller and more nervous?
It's getting to the point where I feel like I'm tilting at windmills. But I can't give up

He thinks it reminds him of Austin, but I thought it sounded more like the East End. Could danax be ghost writing for 'The Onion'? :lol:

Busted! :)

Actually the guy's probably lurked here and is mocking me!

Really he sounds like a newbie wherever he lives. I've changed my attitude a bit in the past couple of years now that the initial gentrification fire has already been kindled. The same things that I've criticized I now look at as vital factors in eventually redeveloping a lot of the East End.

What I mean is, junky, run down neighborhoods with poorly remodeled and non spectacular housing stock in areas where land is becoming rapidly more valuable eventually get torn down and redeveloped. The more raunchy the area, the more certain that it will eventually be erased.

As much as I'd like to see a postcard style 1930s nabe here, I've pretty much given up on masses of yuppies coming over and fixing up the existing houses in enough number to "save the neighborhood". Some parts will always remain but certain areas are beyond gentrification and, the sooner they get bulldozed into townhouses the better.

This isn't the Danax I know!

Well, my first choice would be, as I mentioned, restoring this into a postcard quality 1930s-40s neighborhood, as it could be such an asset to Houston.

However, that dream only gets me frustrated. Who's going to take interest in homes where the wood floors have been covered in ceramic tile (don't they screw the backer board down? :angry: ), the old windows have been replaced by cheapies ie; most of the character has been replaced by bad taste changes, many of which are probably just too discouraging to inspire reversal.

Even so, the heart of the Pecan Park area still has a chance to survive somewhat as envisioned above. The bulldozer vision I reserve for the truly deserving sub-subdivisions; everything from the Gulf Fwy to Redwood, and everything east of Berkeley St.. Those people have run that down so far that most of it is beyond hope. Oh, and Office City too, which is littered with low-rent apartment hovels including literally Houston's largest apartment complex.

Also, Houston is just too frustrating for preservation-minding people. Sometimes it's easier to just face reality. Makes it easier to prune my roses in peace.

Danax, have you been cruising Rice Military again? :o

Well, actually I've worked over there for a few years, Red, watching the place get turned upside down.

I really hadn't thought about it but.......maybe I'm.........infected! :blink:

Archived