My New Project

Just when I thought you were becoming a civilized human being you drop back to the stone age mentality. Geez. Vertigo, it is not I that continues to dredge up the past (ie stone age) on this forum. You bring up how good the area was and what a s*it hole it is now, which just is not the truth in any respect. If your going to label a neighborhood a high crime area then please post/link your facts and figures, otherwise it's just more depressing negative drivel.

Sharpe st whatever, you cant assume that everyone on this forum is a flipper or as they used to call it a "carpetbagger" just here to make profit. Try checking out today'ss important subject ... What subject would that be today Vertigo? Turkey entering Iraq? Imus making a comeback? Oil hits $85??? What is the important subject? In regards to being a carpetbagger then I will take that label and run with it with Pride Wiki on CarpetBaggers

What do you think Haif is about? A place to ask, share and contribute "informed" information.

What I'm stating is that you cannot attack comments assuming we are botching your sales or rental properties. What have I possibly to gain from such tactics? There are several others on this forum that are totally aware of some of the cheap quick patch up jobs you and others do on the older homes nearby. $10.00 dollar windows? I mean really. I have complimented you in the past for at least trying to bring in new blood to the nabe, however it is only out of self profit and theres nothing noble atbout that at all. Insulting our work now uh? Nothing noble about investing my money, my time, my reputation, assuming the risks involved including failure or unseen items and making a profit uh! I happen to work for a new home builder, I run my own business that is not real estate related, along with renovating and yes flipping older homes. I take great pride in not only making a few dollars from my third job but also from fixing a home up. Replacing the sewer lines, new roofs, updated Kitchens and Baths, fresh paint and carpet, and yes even new windows. Now if you would kindly share where I can pick up new double pane insulated windows for $10.00 per I would be very appreciative! And further on this note if you are not risking your $$$ buying a home, doing repairs, buying material, paying holding costs (Note, Insurance, Utilities, etc...) and hoping to find a buyer and sell at a profit after closing costs, real estate fees, etc... then you have no room to speak.

They call it "self-interest" Yes I do have a very large vested "Self Interest" in myself and family. Too bad more people don't in themselves!

My comments are usually in jest or to be upbeat. Those like you "Einstein" wanna-be's are just way to serious. Maybe I just see life as being short and making the best of it. :P Half empty glass response here where life is short, just making the best of it, and why have a serious or knowledgeable discussion based upon facts when life is so short? I however would state my glass is half full and prefer discussions where we are realistic and yet upbeat, ever striving to become better both personally and professionally.

For all reading, If you were to move into an new city, wouldnt you appreicate the fact that someone is only offering helpful advise? You would understand if you had family ie; children I'm sure. I am not in this for the money period. If one were to spend the time to read your posts they would assume you may be bi-polar. Your commentary is never in the middle it's either HOT or FREEZING in any particular neighborhood or for that matter section of the city. You recount how great it "was" and how "s*itty" drug and crime infested it is now. Don't worry I never assumed you were in any of this for the money ;)

This topic in particular, I could have said. "Everyone this is a nice upscale and wonderful area to live in! Get these beautiful homes while you can! There are great Ivey League schools with minutes! Great views of the downtown skyline, etc. Views of the skyline and accessibility to UH/TSU/RICE/ST Thomas is superb from these homes that Carbor is building. As is accessibility to downtown. Upscale it is not however the area as a whole is not depreciating, land value is only appreciating due to the locality, this initiates further growth which quite possibly a few years down the road will be a nice upscale neighborhood with great accessibility to work places, schools, museums, arts, sports, etc...

but that's misleading and false advertising. Ivy League schools sure but nothing wrong with ANY advanced education be it at UH/TSU/Rice/St Thomas. Great view some of these do and if you like the view of skyscrapers then it's a great view!

Sharpe st just click "ignore user' so you wont have to see my notes anymore, that simple. Thank you for your simple idea however the scroll bar works just fine!!!

What a prude. Your snobbery belongs in River Oaks, not in Near East End Oaks? :wacko:Now I am a Prude, Snob, and should live in River Oaks, quite frankly if I could live in River Oaks then I would love to but alas I can't live there "yet"!!! It is interesting to see you attack me personally with such gusto as I only attacked your "drivel". All the best to you and yours Vertigo!

I like 'em. And, the proposed Southeast Line runs on either side of it. Hopefully, they'll put a station nearby. The metro maps suggest the station may be a block away or less.

EDIT: And, FWIW, I much prefer Scharpe St's factual and knowledgable posts over posts made "in jest". By definition, statements made in jest are not to be taken seriously, hence they only clutter the forum.

Techinically we started framing these in mid Aug I believe? So construction has been progressing relatively well. This is my first flat roof and we have spent a little more time there. We had the truss manufacturer slope the trusses giving better runoff. Something else that slowed us a little was having to change the mechanical room. Originally it was placed in the second floor hall but there really wasn't anywhere close to enough room to put it there so we expanded the "closets" on the roof and made them mech/closet. We are also putting the compressor o the roof. Hopefully this will help mitigate any thievery. Another thing we will do is run the copper line for the HVAC at the last minute. The roof itself is wired for speakers and plumber for sink and gas line. Right now the view is awesome. If the property directly across the street ever comes up for sale I will try and buy it and build some 2 stories if possible but you never know.

I'm ok with the exterior look right now. At first I was not real happy about the brick I chose but in the end it will be fine. The base color paint will be very close to the siding color with a nice dark trim.

I hope to sheetrock pretty soon. As soon as the rock goes up I can get a garage door up and secure the building more.

I should start the other 5 homes in the next couple weeks. These will have 2 two story homes and 3 three story ones. The 3 story houses are pretty big at about 2400 feet and will sell in the $320's hopefully. Prices over $300K are not common over here but InTown homes is starting a bunch of houses and many are over $300K and CitiHomes is starting a really good looking project on Polk that will feature homes over $300K. Personally I feel more comfortable in the $200-$270 range but lets see what happens.

As far as the area goes I personally like to develop in areas like this because you are not building right over someone elses home that is 40-70 years old. I don't have to worry about gentrification or subs throwing there building material and hitting the neighbors car. The train makes some noise but I really don't notice it. Maybe I would if it were 2 in the morning?

Vertigo, no problem thinking they are ugly. I think they look pretty good but what I am really going to like is the interior. Instead of trying to cram in a 3rd bedroom in 1600-1800 sq foot houses, we made these essentially double master rooms. One of the rooms is a little smaller but both baths get a whirlpool tub and they both have pretty good closet space. I have some really nice material going in as well.

I hope to get my site up and running soon and starting a little construction blog with pictures. It should be pretty cool. I also think it will be pretty personal, rarely does the consumer get to see what day to day building is about. Its such a stressful job at times, hopefully in the end it is worth it and the people living in my houses end up with a house they can be proud of. I'm not perfect but I hope to end up with homes that are better than the competition.

I think they look pretty good but what I am really going to like is the interior. Instead of trying to cram in a 3rd bedroom in 1600-1800 sq foot houses, we made these essentially double master rooms. One of the rooms is a little smaller but both baths get a whirlpool tub and they both have pretty good closet space. I have some really nice material going in as well.

I hope to get my site up and running soon and starting a little construction blog with pictures. It should be pretty cool. I also think it will be pretty personal, rarely does the consumer get to see what day to day building is about. Its such a stressful job at times, hopefully in the end it is worth it and the people living in my houses end up with a house they can be proud of. I'm not perfect but I hope to end up with homes that are better than the competition.

Thanks for sharing some of your process with us. It really adds to HAIF to get a little inside into the citywide townhouse boom going on. The comment I hear a lot regarding the townhomes in general is, "they're crap", meaning the quality. I think the EIFS stucco is questionable but I'm hoping the rest are built to last.

I think the double master 2/2 idea is great. The predominant demographic buying these are childless so the Brady Bunch floor plan can stay in the burbs. And it's a good sign to see the area start to push prices up. Once the area starts feeling like Midtown a bit, the next wave of buyers will feel more comfortable over there. Comments like Vertigo's aren't unusual though. I gave a friend a tour of the area, thinking she'd be impressed by the modern makeover going on, but her response was, "you couldn't pay me to live over here!" Different strokes. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing some of your process with us. It really adds to HAIF to get a little inside into the citywide townhouse boom going on. The comment I hear a lot regarding the townhomes in general is, "they're crap", meaning the quality. I think the EIFS stucco is questionable but I'm hoping the rest are built to last.

I think the double master 2/2 idea is great. The predominant demographic buying these are childless so the Brady Bunch floor plan can stay in the burbs. And it's a good sign to see the area start to push prices up. Once the area starts feeling like Midtown a bit, the next wave of buyers will feel more comfortable over there. Comments like Vertigo's aren't unusual though. I gave a friend a tour of the area, thinking she'd be impressed by the modern makeover going on, but her response was, "you couldn't pay me to live over here!" Different strokes. :rolleyes:

I've toured many of the townhome jobsites as they were under construction and I saw them definitely lacking in some areas. I think a big difference is that I build an entirely different type of home. So what is typical in a luxury custom isn't going generally make it in to a much smaller budgeted spec job (ie: manablock, different framing procedures, treatments, mechanicals, etc). That isn't to say that a decently large portion of the ones I've toured didn't suffer from very shoddy workmanship on the part of the contractors. Lower budgets tend to lessen the options when seeking qualified contractors. It is understandable I suppose.

It is a problem I hope to wrestle successfully soon as I just put together a plan for a unique townhouse project that I am hoping to find some funding for. We'll see if I can do any better since I am an unabashed perfectionist and I have no problems pushing my contractors for perfection (and funny enough, they still like me!).

Anyway, Jscarbor, that is pretty decent progress for two months. I imagine you'll be dried-in in the next week and should be nearly completed within a month-ish? Christmas move-ins could be in the picture for you.

Good luck!

No, we'll hopefully sheetrock in 10 days and complete 60 days after that. tile will take a week if they show up everyday, trim 1-2 weeks, paint who knows with the nut job painters I have been getting, plumbers another 10 days, electrical and mech another 10 then wood floor. then touch up.

Gwilson, you have any painters that you can share with me? Painters are the biggest pain in my ass right now. Generally I pay $2.50-$3.00 per foot for interior painting. Typically we are talking base color, trim color and ceiling white for inside and base and trim for outside?

Ive had to rethink my position on some building in order to try and get close to a price point that will sell. I still find myself putting more than what the customers generally want and end up with a small profit margin because for the most part these houses are for people that want to stay there for 2-5 years.

They're not so bad. I wouldn't live there. It's nicer than any other generic complex you know could have gone up. I personally don't like clone complexes.

I know I'm a bit late on this but if you don't see the Koala with the photographs to compare I hope you're not a student in Arch :P

No, we'll hopefully sheetrock in 10 days and complete 60 days after that. tile will take a week if they show up everyday, trim 1-2 weeks, paint who knows with the nut job painters I have been getting, plumbers another 10 days, electrical and mech another 10 then wood floor. then touch up.

Gwilson, you have any painters that you can share with me? Painters are the biggest pain in my ass right now. Generally I pay $2.50-$3.00 per foot for interior painting. Typically we are talking base color, trim color and ceiling white for inside and base and trim for outside?

Ive had to rethink my position on some building in order to try and get close to a price point that will sell. I still find myself putting more than what the customers generally want and end up with a small profit margin because for the most part these houses are for people that want to stay there for 2-5 years.

I will call my painter and see where he would be for that, what is the square footage (all units). If he isn't willing to work for that price, I'll ask if he knows anyone reputable. My guy does exclusively large luxury customs. Since this is still large, he might consider it.

I will definitely ask.

• The title was changed to My New Project

Archived