Channel 55 being sold

I finally got tired of 55's nonsense and called them (because they don't respond to my e-mails). They informed me that they're in the process of being sold and they were surprisingly not rude to me this time. I wonder what this means. For the past couple of years they've been letting their contracts run out with every show they air. Now aside for infomercials, the only show they have left on their schedule is "Gunsmoke" which will air until Thursday and then they'll just air western movies. Ugh! Channel 55 used to be a great channel. It's been heading further and further into the pits for a while now. I hope we get another decent independent channel. I mainly watch old classic TV shows because I can't stand 99% of the current garbage on TV. PLEASE let us get a good independent channel. Something similar to L.A.'s KDOC (http://www.kdoctv.net) would be ideal, as far as I'm concerned.

Crap. I know it's a bunch of useless wishful thinking. If we do get another independent station it will probably be filled with bile such as "Cheaters" and similar type trash.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

Unfortunately TV Land is on the decline as well. One of the biggest complaints from viewers is that they air way too much of "Bonanza" and "Gunsmoke". I have to agree. It seems those two shows are on all the time. The only western I like is "Little House on the Prairie", but I don't think most would consider it a western.

TV Land is becoming too much like Nick at Nite. They're airing too much of the same ol' shows and they're shows that you can find elsewhere on cable. They're even starting to air the same shows on both networks! I like shows from the '50s, '60s and '70s and some from the '80s. It seems Nick at Nite and TV Land's shows are becoming more and more recent. "Murphy Brown"? Ick! I HATE that show. I wish Nick/TV Land would spin-off a third network of strictly '50s, '60s and '70s shows. Nick at Nite ruled in the mid '90s. Then TV Land ruled. Now neither of them rule. That's why I liked Channel 55, but it hasn't ruled in about two years.

I'm tired of '80s retro mania.

ack! i just checked the nick at nite website:

cheers

cosby show

a different world

fatherhood

fresh prince

full house ( :huh: )

mad about you

murphy brown

newsradio

roseanne

wings

what a drag - maybe i don't need cable after all

Edited by sevfiv

ack! i just checked the nick at nite website:

cheers

cosby show

a different world

fatherhood

fresh prince

full house ( :huh: )

mad about you

murphy brown

newsradio

roseanne

wings

what a drag - maybe i don't need cable after all

ick!!! throw all that crud out...well except Newsradio. I like KITH's Dave Foley and of course Phil Hartman and even Andy Dick back then :ph34r: .

So Joel Osteen is selling??

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_3889339

here is a notice from january:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2006_4042022

"We will move quickly to improve and enhance programming," he said, including getting involved in local sports. "We will not be doing quite as many dated shows."
Edited by gnu

ick!!! throw all that crud out...well except Newsradio. I like KITH's Dave Foley and of course Phil Hartman and even Andy Dick back then :ph34r: .

Gnu, you gotta register to view the archives my friend. :(

Gnu, you gotta register to view the archives my friend. :(

yep. i can see them fine :D

It (Lakewood) owns and operates KTBU Channel 55, "The Tube," a local television station that features religious shows and retro programming like Gunsmoke and I Love Lucy.
Gregory L. Brown, chairman and CEO of USFR Media Group, has signed a purchase agreement to buy the station. Pending approval from the Federal Communications Commission, the deal will close in 90 days.
Edited by gnu

I can sho use some Different World and Fresh Prince. ;) All them other shows R just str8 booty and are boring people to sleep. ***zzzzzzzzzz***

Edited by DaTrain

yep. i can see them fine :D

I'm guessing that Joel Osteen has discovered that being on TV all over the world is a lot more fun than owning a TV station. His ministry buys time on hundreds of TV stations all over the country, gets him on cable systems and satellite systems all over the globe, and he's seen by millions of people every week, with none of the headaches that go with owning a TV station.

I'm willing to bet that somewhere along the line, Osteen, or one of his top people, took a look at things and asked "why did we buy that TV station anyway? It's a white elephant. Who needs it?" Selling it gets him and his organization out from under the thumb of federal regulation and everything that implies.

And he could be selling for the most basic reason of all: maybe the station wasn't making as much money as he hoped it would. A locally owned unaffiliated TV station just isn't able to charge as much for advertising as a network affiliate and that's just a fact of life in TV. I think Osteen learned how you make a small fortune in TV? You start with a big fortune.

Unfortunately TV Land is on the decline as well. One of the biggest complaints from viewers is that they air way too much of "Bonanza" and "Gunsmoke". I have to agree. It seems those two shows are on all the time. The only western I like is "Little House on the Prairie", but I don't think most would consider it a western.

TV Land is becoming too much like Nick at Nite. They're airing too much of the same ol' shows and they're shows that you can find elsewhere on cable. They're even starting to air the same shows on both networks! I like shows from the '50s, '60s and '70s and some from the '80s. It seems Nick at Nite and TV Land's shows are becoming more and more recent. "Murphy Brown"? Ick! I HATE that show. I wish Nick/TV Land would spin-off a third network of strictly '50s, '60s and '70s shows. Nick at Nite ruled in the mid '90s. Then TV Land ruled. Now neither of them rule. That's why I liked Channel 55, but it hasn't ruled in about two years.

I'm tired of '80s retro mania.

I'm thinking your best bet is to invest in DVDs. A lot of old series are available now.

Subdude:

I'm thinking your best bet is to invest in DVDs. A lot of old series are available now.

I agree, but my favorite, "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", is released waaaay too slowly for my liking. Season 1 came out last October. Season 2 is finally coming out this October and I can't wait to get it. But one season per year isn't going to work for me. It'll take ten years to get to the final season.

Besides, nothing beats watching them for free. I should have gotten a DVD recorder a long time ago. I'm getting increasingly unsatisfied with cable. There's nothing on.

Whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the latest on channel 55?

I was looking on my DVR guide throughout the week and I noticed that Channel 55 has returned "Leave it to Beaver", "I Love Lucy" back to the 3-5 pm timeslot only after two weeks of pulling it off. They've also dug "Simon and Simon" out of the channel 55 vault after several years of it being gone and ta da after a year and a half the mother of classic TV (as far as I'm concerned) "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" is back! Or at least it seems that way according to the grid.

What's going on? I thought 55 was dead. Do they still somehow have the rights to air these shows? They're supposed to be in the process of selling. Why would they bring these shows back now? As I mentioned before, they were supposed to let the contracts run through with their current shows as of two weeks ago: "Beaver", "Lucy", "Gunsmoke" and "The Beverly Hillbillies" and then replace them with old western movies until the end; slowly fade out, I guess.

Do you know how much seeing "Hitchcock" back on the schedule made my evening! I couldn't believe my eyes. It's at 1 pm now instead of in its old slot of 11 pm. I went right on down the grid and set it to record every single episode this week.

It can't be a glitch, can it?

Is it typical for a station in a situation like this to make a move like this. Can someone in the know enlighten me?

Well, the only part of channel 55's website that is up to date is its schedule. It does not show those changes mentioned above on the schedule, but instead has the western movies listed. The TV listings on the Chronicle's site and the TV Guide site is still showing the line-up as it was a couple of weeks ago.

I just think that, not only is it strange that those shows are listed on the DVR grid after being off for so long, but it actually has specific episode information for each one. I don't know which to believe. You'd think 55's website would be the more accurate source. I'll know tomorrow.

Channel 55 updated their website's schedule showing the changes made. Except the week of October 2nd is showing the old dumpy schedule again. Surely this isn't just a three week thing. They told me over the phone that it was not temporary. I'll just have to take their word until then.

http://www.thetube.net/schedule.htm

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

I finally got tired of 55's nonsense and called them (because they don't respond to my e-mails). They informed me that they're in the process of being sold and they were surprisingly not rude to me this time. I wonder what this means. For the past couple of years they've been letting their contracts run out with every show they air. Now aside for infomercials, the only show they have left on their schedule is "Gunsmoke" which will air until Thursday and then they'll just air western movies. Ugh! Channel 55 used to be a great channel. It's been heading further and further into the pits for a while now. I hope we get another decent independent channel. I mainly watch old classic TV shows because I can't stand 99% of the current garbage on TV. PLEASE let us get a good independent channel. Something similar to L.A.'s KDOC (http://www.kdoctv.net) would be ideal, as far as I'm concerned.

Crap. I know it's a bunch of useless wishful thinking. If we do get another independent station it will probably be filled with bile such as "Cheaters" and similar type trash.

can you get it on cable? i guess i didn't even KNOW there was a channel 55.