any one else having HAIF problems?

wendyps

My explorer keeps closing, but only at this site. I can get to a page or two and then it closes on me. One of the error messages said something about google downloading, which makes me wonder if it is a new add...

My explorer keeps closing, but only at this site. I can get to a page or two and then it closes on me. One of the error messages said something about google downloading, which makes me wonder if it is a new add...

I had really bad problems using HAIF yesterday. It kept on citing server problems, but not the error message about it being too busy. I get that one sporadically, too, but can always get around it. Yesterday's disruption basically shut HAIF down for me.

I keep getting the error "Too many users on server!" About every 10 minutes or so.

i got this too except that about 8 or 9 tabs opened

(in firefox) with the same error message although

i only refreshed once.

i had sent someone the link to the vertical cemetery

and it crashed his browser.

ahhhhhh, my haif fix is satisfied now! I feel so much better. :D Right after I posted that, it closed again and I didn't have the patientce to try again. I'm better now....

Editor, what's up? are we getting too big for our britches?

ahhhhhh, my haif fix is satisfied now! I feel so much better. :D Right after I posted that, it closed again and I didn't have the patientce to try again. I'm better now....

Editor, what's up? are we getting too big for our britches?

a couple of days ago i was getting database errors. not sure if that is related.

I had a really tough time accessing HAIF around noon. Too many users online at once.

Yesterday afternoon was messed up. I could read, but I was not able to post. I kept getting some lame javascript error with a white screen and message box :angry:

I havent had any problems. But one thing that annoys me is on one of my computers the posts are not fully readable unless you click on the post, but yet on another computer I can read each full post.

I don't know how to fix it where I can read all of the posts at one time.

I havent had any problems. But one thing that annoys me is on one of my computers the posts are not fully readable unless you click on the post, but yet on another computer I can read each full post.

I don't know how to fix it where I can read all of the posts at one time.

that is a setting on the topic post that you can change. under OPTIONS-->DISPLAY MODES you can change it to standard. sounds like it might be set for OUTLINE instead...?

I and my coworkers also had problems.

editor, do you know the cause of this? :(

i am finding that i am getting the error screen more than

the HAIF screen. i don't mind, i just don't peak at the HAIF

forum when i am working on other web projects, in case my

computer freezes. keeps me on schedule though.

you're still getting error screens? it seems to be working very well for me now.

yes.

well, not now but it is common for me in the afternoon and evening.

i was assuming that it was a traffis issue but another thread was

commenting that there seems to generally be less traffic on HAIF.

that is why i was asking the editor for the reason.

I'm afraid HAIF has just been growing too quickly. We get 3,000 to 5,000 unique people per day and push out about 60,000 pages of information each day. Because it's a form, that's really much harder on the server than a regular web site because everything is in a database, and not just a normal piece of code.

The problem is that HAIF is on a shared server. There's us, and about five other web sites sharing the same box. The reason is simply cost. HAIF is expensive to support. If I could make an extra $50/month, I could afford to move HAIF to its own box and we wouldn't have to share. But with the low rates that banner ads bring in these days, even with HAIF's growth it will be a while before that's possible.

It's a shame, too, because sponsorships are available for the individual forum sections for just $10/month. If we could sign up five companies or people, we could move to our own box and not have to worry about the server being clogged by too many people.

Too much of a good thing, I guess.

I'm afraid HAIF has just been growing too quickly. We get 3,000 to 5,000 unique people per day and push out about 60,000 pages of information each day. Because it's a form, that's really much harder on the server than a regular web site because everything is in a database, and not just a normal piece of code.

The problem is that HAIF is on a shared server. There's us, and about five other web sites sharing the same box. The reason is simply cost. HAIF is expensive to support. If I could make an extra $50/month, I could afford to move HAIF to its own box and we wouldn't have to share. But with the low rates that banner ads bring in these days, even with HAIF's growth it will be a while before that's possible.

It's a shame, too, because sponsorships are available for the individual forum sections for just $10/month. If we could sign up five companies or people, we could move to our own box and not have to worry about the server being clogged by too many people.

Too much of a good thing, I guess.

should we have a fundraiser or what? :huh:

have you folks ever done that before?

did that work for you?

Well actually I was in a hurry when I saw your post, so I didn't get to try what you suggested. But I tried to tonight and I didn't see any display settings for posts under the options that would fix it. But I will keep looking.

I'm up for a fundraiser!!! I would even host it! What about a BBQ/Auction or something? All proceeds go to the support? Like NPR :D

I have a great place to host it, live right across the street from a park with baseball fields in town with views of downtown... If our regulars each brought some food/auction items, it could go smoothly!!!!

$50 a month is a trifle for so many regulars, and we could all meet...

Options V

V Track this topic

V Email this topic

V Print this topic

V Download this topic

V Subscribe to this forum

V Switch to: Outline

V Standard

V Switch to: Linear+

Ahh, thanks! I got it now. I can't believe I missed the options in the corner of the thread. I was looking in user cp and finding nothing.

should we have a fundraiser or what? :huh:

have you folks ever done that before?

We have done a fundraiser before. The last one raised about $400 for advertising in Cite.

I'd rather not do a fundraiser again. I'd rather have people sign up for sponsorships. But here's the problem:

An extra $50 a month doesn't sound like a lot of money, especially when it's only $10/month per sponsor. But I'd need each sponsor to sign up for a year and pay in advance. That means $120 from five people.

The reason I'd need the money up front is simply because moving to a dedicated server is a fairly large step for HAIF. It requires me re-writing a lot of code by hand. If the money dries up after a month and we have to go back to a shared server, it's not really worth the effort necessary to make the move.

Still, if you had a small business or a band or a club, $10/month for advertising on HAIF is pretty reasonable.

I'm up for a fundraiser!!! I would even host it! What about a BBQ/Auction or something? All proceeds go to the support? Like NPR :D

I have a great place to host it, live right across the street from a park with baseball fields in town with views of downtown... If our regulars each brought some food/auction items, it could go smoothly!!!!

$50 a month is a trifle for so many regulars, and we could all meet...

Thanks for the enthusiasm, but fundraisers come with legal and accounting headaches. A straight sponsorship is far easier.

Set up a paypal account and I will put up the first $50 and challenge all to match it. No BS now this is cheap entertainment and a great learning resource.

As I mentioned elsewhere, sponsorships are better than donations. If you or your company are interested in signing up for a sponsorship, let me know and I'll PM you the Paypal address.

i've got a few projects that i'm doing but we are on very tiny,

itty, bitty budgets. i will mention it though. especially with the

calender on HAIF... it seems like a nice thing to do. there were

some people from HAIF who came to a puppet show and the

adding machine that wouldn't have otherwise.

my personal projects are surviving on my own $ and

sponsorships, so i can totally relate. :closedeyes:

Archived