A beast with wings

• 1 month later...

I flew the Lockheed L-1011 and at 500,000 it was half of what this machine is (GTOW 970,000) and this is supposed to outstrip the French Airbus 380 between 10-23 % in fuel costs alone. Also since it is still a 747, they don't exceed the type ratings for the crew so it will require differences training only which is a major savings compared a the 380 type rating. According to Boeing, this machine has no rival in the freight world. The upper deck allows options for either additional 22 tons of payload, or 1,400 miles range. Do the math quickly and you see that 44,000 lbs of fuel gets you that additional range.... which is remarkable. That is from LAX to DFW and with four GE's at 66,000 lbs thrust each moving that much beef... fill it up and it will sure make some money. It is FAST too... not akin to these wimpy gas savers, that old girl will still get it up to .9 mach and is cruising at .845 same as the L-1011 which was another FAST airplane but the RB-211's were putting out 75% of the thrust and only 3 of them.

You would think that the cockpit would be spacious and comfortable... it is not! Not compared to the L-1011, we were spoiled. I sat in both seats on long flights going to work and coming home on BA all over the Middle East and Europe, and it was nearly the same as the B-727 complete with extremely loud air noise over the windscreen. Back in the old day, European carriers actually could leave the cockpit door OPEN in flight, and that was quite common on the 747 with access being through the upperdeck, most pax never made it up there. You could hear the air noise as you walked up to the door. Amazing. It's not as if you are going to get a case of "Lear Shoulder" (and anyone with time in 35's knows *exactly* what that means).... but still you would think that they would have a little more room. :ph34r:

It's a winner, no doubt... I sure hope my Boeing stock goes up (and no one out there goes on strike <again>)

I flew the Lockheed L-1011 and at 500,000 it was half of what this machine is (GTOW 970,000) and this is supposed to outstrip the French Airbus 380 between 10-23 % in fuel costs alone. Also since it is still a 747, they don't exceed the type ratings for the crew so it will require differences training only which is a major savings compared a the 380 type rating. According to Boeing, this machine has no rival in the freight world. The upper deck allows options for either additional 22 tons of payload, or 1,400 miles range. Do the math quickly and you see that 44,000 lbs of fuel gets you that additional range.... which is remarkable. That is from LAX to DFW and with four GE's at 66,000 lbs thrust each moving that much beef... fill it up and it will sure make some money. It is FAST too... not akin to these wimpy gas savers, that old girl will still get it up to .9 mach and is cruising at .845 same as the L-1011 which was another FAST airplane but the RB-211's were putting out 75% of the thrust and only 3 of them.

You would think that the cockpit would be spacious and comfortable... it is not! Not compared to the L-1011, we were spoiled. I sat in both seats on long flights going to work and coming home on BA all over the Middle East and Europe, and it was nearly the same as the B-727 complete with extremely loud air noise over the windscreen. Back in the old day, European carriers actually could leave the cockpit door OPEN in flight, and that was quite common on the 747 with access being through the upperdeck, most pax never made it up there. You could hear the air noise as you walked up to the door. Amazing. It's not as if you are going to get a case of "Lear Shoulder" (and anyone with time in 35's knows *exactly* what that means).... but still you would think that they would have a little more room. :ph34r:

It's a winner, no doubt... I sure hope my Boeing stock goes up (and no one out there goes on strike <again>)

You are an L-1011 guy? Wow! My father retired on the L-1011. He loved that bird and has some very interesting stories to tell about flying that thing out of DCA with the short runways while smoking a cigarette ;);)

Yeah TJ, it's LAX.
Are you sure about that? I have never seen hills in the background of any LAX photo.

The rise behind looks a lot like Lindberg in San Diego. However, I have never seen Seattle, but that's the way I imagine Seattle looking like, and that's where Boeing headquarters are.

• 4 weeks later...
Are you sure about that? I have never seen hills in the background of any LAX photo.

The rise behind looks a lot like Lindberg in San Diego. However, I have never seen Seattle, but that's the way I imagine Seattle looking like, and that's where Boeing headquarters are.

I think it is San Diego,but not sure. I know it isnt Seattle ;) The Boeing headquarters is now in Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it is San Diego,but not sure. I know it isnt Seattle ;) The Boeing headquarters is now in Chicago.

i don't think it's san diego. and boeing moved corporate hq to chicago, but the commercial is still based in everett (outside seattle).

the mods were done in taiwan. since there's a AA Eagle in this pic, i'm guessing the photo is from the states. there aren't mountains that close to SAN or LAX and there's no reason the plane would be there. i'm voting paine field in everett.

i have friends that work there on this program, i'll try to get more details.

from boeing.com:

After completing initial flight tests in Taiwan, during which the airplane's handling characteristics will be evaluated as well as ensuring the LCF is free from flutter and excessive vibration, the airplane will fly to Seattle's Boeing Field to complete the remainder of the flight test program. The ferry flight to Seattle is expected to occur mid-month. A fleet of three LCFs will ferry 787 assemblies between Nagoya, Japan; Grottaglie, Italy; Wichita, Kan. and Charleston, S.C., before flying them to the Boeing factory in Everett, Wash., for final assembly. The first two LCFs will enter service in early 2007; the third will follow later.

i don't think it's san diego. and boeing moved corporate hq to chicago, but the commercial is still based in everett (outside seattle).

the mods were done in taiwan. since there's a AA Eagle in this pic, i'm guessing the photo is from the states. there aren't mountains that close to SAN or LAX and there's no reason the plane would be there. i'm voting paine field in everett.

i have friends that work there on this program, i'll try to get more details.

from boeing.com:

I think they fly the planes around on "proving runs". thats what they would be doing in cities other than the ones they will operate out of. The reason i though SAN was because of the AA Eagle jet. This is a mystery.....

• 1 month later...