Unpaid Property Tax - How quickly can property be Auctioned Off?

Scharpe St Guy

Hello All,

I have tried googling and searching the Tax Assessors office but I have been unable to find an answer.

A property that is listed for sale, which also has unpaid taxes for year 2005 and Penalty and Interest charged to the account along with 33.07 Pen.

How soon before this property will reach the auction block assuming the owner is not fighting it?

33.07 Pen is this the penalty charged to pay for the law firm to handle the property seizure???

Thanks All,

Scharpe St Guy

Hello All,

I have tried googling and searching the Tax Assessors office but I have been unable to find an answer.

A property that is listed for sale, which also has unpaid taxes for year 2005 and Penalty and Interest charged to the account along with 33.07 Pen.

How soon before this property will reach the auction block assuming the owner is not fighting it?

33.07 Pen is this the penalty charged to pay for the law firm to handle the property seizure???

Thanks All,

Scharpe St Guy

Hmmm...33.07...that sounds familiar. I think I might've looked up the records on that house....but I don't remember which one it was.

It takes a while. Usually you have to be delinquent for several years, and then they have to file suit, and then I believe there's a waiting period of several months for the owner to get his crap together, and/or the lienholder to step in. Then it gets sold off. Then there's like a 2 year period in which the owner can reclaim their property.

Hello All,

Thanks All,

Scharpe St Guy

Years is all i can offer up here. i know properties that have been deliquent almost 10 yrs that are just getting to the auction block.

JM1FD,

Thanks for the notes. This is a house that we have had our eye on, the seller apparently want's X amount for the home meanwhile he continues to accrue Tax penalty's and current year taxes to the tune of $600/month. This is before utilities as the power is on and yard maintainence. I made him an offer a year ago and he would have come out ahead but now he has listed it and will have realtor fee's along with 12 months of $600 plus penalty's.

Meanwhile the listing agent knows how intrested we are and he never follows up nor tries to structure a deal to sell his listing. Very frustrating dealing with an Idiot listing agent and a stupid seller. Oh well if it is meant to be it will be.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

Hmmm...33.07...that sounds familiar. I think I might've looked up the records on that house....but I don't remember which one it was.

It takes a while. Usually you have to be delinquent for several years, and then they have to file suit, and then I believe there's a waiting period of several months for the owner to get his crap together, and/or the lienholder to step in. Then it gets sold off. Then there's like a 2 year period in which the owner can reclaim their property.

The listing agent knows how interested you are and doesn't follow up? Tat makes no sence whatsoever. Aren't Realtors greedy and looking to make money? Why would they not want to sell to you?

JM1FD,

Thanks for the notes. This is a house that we have had our eye on, the seller apparently want's X amount for the home meanwhile he continues to accrue Tax penalty's and current year taxes to the tune of $600/month. This is before utilities as the power is on and yard maintainence. I made him an offer a year ago and he would have come out ahead but now he has listed it and will have realtor fee's along with 12 months of $600 plus penalty's.

Meanwhile the listing agent knows how intrested we are and he never follows up nor tries to structure a deal to sell his listing. Very frustrating dealing with an Idiot listing agent and a stupid seller. Oh well if it is meant to be it will be.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

The listing agent knows how interested you are and doesn't follow up? Tat makes no sence whatsoever. Aren't Realtors greedy and looking to make money? Why would they not want to sell to you?

yeah, as i understand it, it takes a few years to even get to the point where the city (county or hisd) notices you're that far behind. and then, if i am not mistaken, you get opportunities to pay it down.

Best that I can figure it is either the listing agent is truly an idiot or I have my real estate license as well and he doesn't want another agent living on the street/in the neighborhood. He apparently lives on the street in a rental behind another home.

It really baffles me however the extra time so far has allowed us to get a lot done on our current home which is good.

Scharpe St Guy

ps... I wish he were acting greedy, at least we would be talking!

yeah, as i understand it, it takes a few years to even get to the point where the city (county or hisd) notices you're that far behind. and then, if i am not mistaken, you get opportunities to pay it down.

This is the experience I am familiar with. I wanted to buy my old next door neighbor's house (they were 5 years behind on their taxes) and was told that even if I was interested they generally give the homeowner every chance available to set up a payment plan of some sort.

There is a form that the law firm that represents Harris County (their name escapes me) gave me to express interest in buying the property, so that they could put it on the list of properties to review. Even after submitting the form, they didn't seem to really care about doing anything about the property. I don't know if the law firm doesn't care, or Harris County instructs them to go slow (so they don't come across bad?). As a taxpayer, my opinion is that the process is totally ridiculous...it isn't like these people can't sell their property and pay their obligation...why are we so easy on them?

BTW, if the person is old or handicapped, the county will never pursue the owner.

This is the experience I am familiar with. I wanted to buy my old next door neighbor's house (they were 5 years behind on their taxes) and was told that even if I was interested they generally give the homeowner every chance available to set up a payment plan of some sort.

There is a form that the law firm that represents Harris County (their name escapes me) gave me to express interest in buying the property, so that they could put it on the list of properties to review. Even after submitting the form, they didn't seem to really care about doing anything about the property. I don't know if the law firm doesn't care, or Harris County instructs them to go slow (so they don't come across bad?). As a taxpayer, my opinion is that the process is totally ridiculous...it isn't like these people can't sell their property and pay their obligation...why are we so easy on them?

BTW, if the person is old or handicapped, the county will never pursue the owner.

i don't really think the city is in the business of WANTING to take people's property. i could be wrong...

Home in question is owned by the estate (son) and has been empty for years. Never the less still all very stupid all the way around. Oh well that is life I suppose!

Were you looking at the home next door so that you could increase your lot size or as a rental?

Scharpe St Guy

Home in question is owned by the estate (son) and has been empty for years. Never the less still all very stupid all the way around. Oh well that is life I suppose!

Were you looking at the home next door so that you could increase your lot size or as a rental?

Scharpe St Guy

The home was in really poor shape, so my motives were purely selfish--to fix it up and resell it! Of course, my neighbors would have loved me for it as well, LOL. I have since moved, but was recently told by a former neighbor that the family came into some money (death of a relative) and basically abandoned the house and bought a ranch somewhere (they belonged in the country all along). OK, now can I have it? :angry:

Archived