Memorial/Spring Branch Roads & Traffic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, it is a freeway between Shepherd and downtown. A road doesn't have to be labeled an Interstate Highway to be a freeway... A freeway is just a road that has no at-grade intersections, therefore it's safer at high speeds than the alternative. (See this entry on Wikipedia, for example).

That length of Memorial isn't a freeway either, it's an expressway. My inner roadgeek is kicking in. Freeways are divided highways have NO at grade crossings with streets, and are fully access controlled. Expressways are divided highways with partial access control, such as the at grade intersection with Jackson Hill St. going west on Memorial between Shepherd and Waugh.

That length of Memorial isn't a freeway either, it's an expressway. My inner roadgeek is kicking in. Freeways are divided highways have NO at grade crossings with streets, and are fully access controlled. Expressways are divided highways with partial access control, such as the at grade intersection with Jackson Hill St. going west on Memorial between Shepherd and Waugh.

Freeway, Expressway, whatever... Whatever it's called, people still drive too fast and reckless on it considering that there are pedestrians and intersections and plenty of local park traffic. The speed limit is 50, which I think is pushing it, and whenever I'm driving down there in the morning most traffic seems to be doing at least 60+.

Because driving 65 mph over a 50-60 year old road surface full of sudden undulations, blind corners and no shoulders is real safe.

It does add a bit of excitement to your life, though....if you survive it.

Bah, I think it should be at least 60 if not 70. There's no lights, no people crossing the roads, and a barrier, should be at least freeway speeds.

It's also got narrow lanes, uneven surfaces, no shoulders, and other issues that make your suggested speed limits inapplicable to its road type.

Why increase the speed on Memorial? It and Allen are two of the best, if not THE best leisurely drives in all of Houston--no lights, no freeway congestion, no stop signs. Just curves, inclines, greenspace, and the skyline. I think "park"way is an absolutely appropriate term for Memorial and Allen--unlike St. Joseph "Park"way.

• 3 months later...
Sounds like another set of whiney NIMBY's. Boo-hoo. The road is coming. I'll make sure to enjoy it as I commute through. :)

Jeebus, Contrary to what you may think, the residents of the neighborhood are not whiney NIMBY's. That section of Bunker Hill dead ends into Long Point which makes it a road to nowhere. I already commute through the neighborhood just fine everyday without it being 4 lanes. I believe the residents didn't care for the back door dealings with Metro National and the TIRZ or the ultra cozy partnership between the city and the TIRZ to build sections of the road that are NOT in the TIRZ's boundaries. Furthermore, it was a shame that land donated by the Look family (who had a farm there) was being decimated, along with Look Road, 100 year old water oaks and migratory bird habitats along the bayou.

The City also fails to fall out of love with too large lanes that encourage speeders by the elementary school. Please drive down Pech Road and tell me if that is a wise use of our tax dollars. Puleeease.

Well Memorial drive is 2 lanes at some points and it has done fine all these years, I don't think Bunkhill should be widened with Voss and Gessner already available to be used.

I suppose it has been "fine," but it would be a hell of a lot better if it were two lanes all the way down it instead of going down to 1 for that stretch.

I suppose it has been "fine," but it would be a hell of a lot better if it were two lanes all the way down it instead of going down to 1 for that stretch.

I like the stretches a that are one lane. It keeps the traffic down to mostly residents only. The two lanes stretches are a congested nightmare at rush hour.

• The title was changed to Memorial Dr.
  • The title was changed to Memorial/Spring Branch Roads & Traffic

Archived