Memorial/Spring Branch Roads & Traffic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so they are planning to turn memorial into a toll road with center turn lanes?

...thats what I never understood the resovoir is right there so why would they want to extend memorial. since if you did that there would be new construction from hwy 6 to barker cypress (eg gas stations, utotems, etc). all of this would kill the point of having the flood plain and destroy the ecosystem of the area.

No development would be allowed. There's no development on Hwy 6 or Eldridge south of Clay Road where they run through the Addicks Reservoir. The land is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers, which doesn't allow development in areas designated as flood control reservoirs.

No development would be allowed. There's no development on Hwy 6 or Eldridge south of Clay Road where they run through the Addicks Reservoir. The land is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers, which doesn't allow development in areas designated as flood control reservoirs.

Filio and Trae are correct. In fact, the Barker Reservoir is part of the nation's largest municipal park. Having a road run through a previously-inaccessible part of this park just makes it more useful.

• 1 month later...
Filio and Trae are correct. In fact, the Barker Reservoir is part of the nation's largest municipal park. Having a road run through a previously-inaccessible part of this park just makes it more useful.

I like the idea of memorial(parkway) being extended through the park as a throughfare.

But I would be against the idea of the Barker Cypress/1464 connection to I-10.

• 1 month later...

"I like the idea of memorial(parkway) being extended through the park as a throughfare.

But I would be against the idea of the Barker Cypress/1464 connection to I-10."

what do you mean by this? 1464 is being connected to Kingsland/Barker Cypress. Hopefully memorial will not go through but you never know. it could cut down on the traffic of those from the energy corridor heading west.

...I still love how the judge wont grant the ordinance that sexually oriented businesses have to be more than 1550 ft away from schools. I mean kids from wolfe should be able to get a happy ending at velvet touch

• 1 month later...
Sounds like another set of whiney NIMBY's. Boo-hoo. The road is coming. I'll make sure to enjoy it as I commute through. :)

Yeah , the road is coming. The Indian Trails residents tried to stop Chimney Rock across Buffalo Bayou years ago, they failed.

The Kinkaid neighborhoods tried to stop San Felipe....they failed. The Memorial neighborhoods each tried to stop, Gessner, Wilcrest, Beltway 8 and Kirkwood.......they all failed. As Clayton Williams once said, if you know you are going to be raped, just sit back and try to enjoy it.

• 1 year later...

My fiancee says her drive to work has recently become very congested. She says the eastbound stretch of Memorial right before downtown gets clogged up in the morning. Anyone have any ideas why this happened?

Bad downtown traffic light timing at the end of Memorial causing backups?

Are they just screwing around with the lights for no reason? She said it used to be clear and the traffic popped up all of a sudden. She thought it might have something to do with baseball season, but I couldn't see how that would affect the morning timing.

Are they just screwing around with the lights for no reason? She said it used to be clear and the traffic popped up all of a sudden. She thought it might have something to do with baseball season, but I couldn't see how that would affect the morning timing.

When did the problem start?

I'm not sure. I think this week or last week.

Aren't they doing some sort of bridge work on i-10 eastbound. That could be causing people to flow over to Memorial.

Memorial really is Houston's best kept secret. Hubby can get from Kirkwood and Memorial to Allen Parkway in 25 minutes at peak rush hour.

Aren't they doing some sort of bridge work on i-10 eastbound. That could be causing people to flow over to Memorial.

Memorial really is Houston's best kept secret. Hubby can get from Kirkwood and Memorial to Allen Parkway in 25 minutes at peak rush hour.

True, but I do wish the police would better enforce the speed limit between Shepherd and downtown. It's not a freeway and many people treat it like it is. There are pedestrians and local traffic, unlike I-10. The speed limit is only 50 and many people drive through there at 60+ in the mornings.

To the OP, I've been meaning to post on this: the traffic light timing in that part of downtown has been COMPLETELY screwed up all week long, especially on Smith Street coming into DT off I-10, which is approximately where Memorial intersects, too, at Texas Ave. We're talking rapid cycling and green lights for only 10-15 seconds in either direction. I suspect this might have something to do with the backup on Memorial.

To the OP, I've been meaning to post on this: the traffic light timing in that part of downtown has been COMPLETELY screwed up all week long, especially on Smith Street coming into DT off I-10, which is approximately where Memorial intersects, too, at Texas Ave. We're talking rapid cycling and green lights for only 10-15 seconds in either direction. I suspect this might have something to do with the backup on Memorial.

Ah, thanks. Anyone have any ideas why the traffic light timing has gone wonky?

Ah, thanks. Anyone have any ideas why the traffic light timing has gone wonky?

No idea, but it's like someone hit the reset button. I can't quite figure out what would cause it or why they would change it. I'm just now getting used to the last change they made.

They changed (screwed up) the sequencing over Thanksgiving weekend. The new timing does not work well for rush-hour traffic, but are great at other less busy times. I don't think they are properly maintaining the timers. There are several downtown that have problems. The city is also not maintaining the new pedestrian crossing lights that were installed around the same time.

They changed (screwed up) the sequencing over Thanksgiving weekend. The new timing does not work well for rush-hour traffic, but are great at other less busy times. I don't think they are properly maintaining the timers. There are several downtown that have problems. The city is also not maintaining the new pedestrian crossing lights that were installed around the same time.

I didn't like the new sequencing when they put it in back in the Fall, but have grown to think it is indeed better to have to make only one turn each way on my commute instead of zigzagging at each red light.

But the problem this week is much more recent and out of the blue. Smith Street was green like clockwork all the way to McKinney each morning for me but now almost every light is red and there is no sequencing at all. Something happened suddenly.

Oh, I agree that this problem is recent. For my commute in on Louisiana and out on Smith, I get many more lights than I used to. People are also backing up into the cross streets slowing cross traffic. And... don't get me started on those lane hogging buses.

And... don't get me started on those lane hogging buses.

BUSSES! OH HOW I HATE THE BUSSES! :angry: THEY CLOG TRAFFIC AND MAKE IT DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A RIGHT TURN.

(I know the busses serve a purpose and we need them and I know my opinion is not rational in the long run sense of the term, but Gawd, they are annoying!)

True, but I do wish the police would better enforce the speed limit between Shepherd and downtown. It's not a freeway and many people treat it like it is. There are pedestrians and local traffic, unlike I-10. The speed limit is only 50 and many people drive through there at 60+ in the mornings.

Actually, it is a freeway between Shepherd and downtown. A road doesn't have to be labeled an Interstate Highway to be a freeway... A freeway is just a road that has no at-grade intersections, therefore it's safer at high speeds than the alternative. (See this entry on Wikipedia, for example).

So it shouldn't surprise you that people drive on it like it's a freeway. Though I'm not claiming it's ok to drive 60+ on it.

(Granted, there are pedestrians. But only on sidewalks -- there aren't any legal crosswalks.)

BUSSES! OH HOW I HATE THE BUSSES! :angry: THEY CLOG TRAFFIC AND MAKE IT DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A RIGHT TURN.

(I know the busses serve a purpose and we need them and I know my opinion is not rational in the long run sense of the term, but Gawd, they are annoying!)

Just do what I do, watch the break lights.If they flash, go around. If they slow down and there is a bus stop there, go around him. Be sure to do a courtesy honk as you turn in front of him so he knows your intentions.

Just do what I do, watch the break lights.If they flash, go around. If they slow down and there is a bus stop there, go around him. Be sure to do a courtesy honk as you turn in front of him so he knows your intentions.

I didn't think any horn signal translates to "courtesy honk" in Houstonian...

I told you not to get me started!!!

Yesterday, a Metro bus stopped at the 4-way stop intersection of Fairview & Taft, put on her flashers and went inside to pee. There were many cars behind the bus and more cars at all other three points. Isn't this AGAINST the law? I had to get in the wrong lane to get through the intersection. What a freeking idiot.

It's not the November reprogram that messed up Memorial. This happened in the last two weeks. Texas Ave used to be synchronized, and now it isn't. Living at the Rice, that's my most frequented street, and it's a pain in the ass now. ILLEGAL PARKING SHOULD BE A FELONY, damn it.

It's not the November reprogram that messed up Memorial. This happened in the last two weeks. Texas Ave used to be synchronized, and now it isn't. Living at the Rice, that's my most frequented street, and it's a pain in the ass now. ILLEGAL PARKING SHOULD BE A FELONY, damn it.

That's funny. I work on Texas Ave.

It's because Voss is closed at I10. Everyone is cutting through on Wirt/Chimeny Rock. It's causing a lot of problems. I had to change my route. Looks like at least another month or two of work left at that intersection.

The sign at the intersection says it will be open sometime next week. It looks like the paving for that section is complete, so it should happen.

It's not the November reprogram that messed up Memorial. This happened in the last two weeks. Texas Ave used to be synchronized, and now it isn't.

In a coordinated traffic system, individual controllers are known to "wander off the reservation" from time to time.

Archived