Dubai 2009

Recently I saw a very interesting TV program on building "The Palm". I think it was on "Modern Marvels".

One of the things they didn't consider in building The Palm is that the "island" actually changed the natural currents in the ocean and started to erode the natural shoreline at a high rate. (Sounds like projects there get the same environmental scrutiny as ones in Houston...). I don't think they've crafted an acceptable fix yet, short of just moving the impacted people out to The Palm

Dubai looks all dandy on the outside, but I am sure it is not like that in real life there. They have so many office towers, that make New York and Chicago look like Lubbock. They also have so many flashy buildings that make Las Vegas look like Alvin. If there is a crash, Dubai will become a Middle-Eastern Detroit.

Currently, the Dubai is the place to go to as far as Business and Tourism in the middle east.

Quite frankly, I'm rooting for him.

The King is being proactive in his quest to make his kingdom a good, modern, and secular society.

Oh, and in regards to the erosion issue....

Turns out that erodes the sand on one side and deposits it on the other side. So what they're going to do is to take the sand from one side to another as is necessary.

He's the king. He can make those decisions and say to hell with them thar environmentalists. :)

It's good to be the King.

Interesting behind the scenes look at Dubai......

An Indentured, Invisible Majority

The utopian character of Dubai, it must be emphasized, is no mirage. Even more than Singapore or Texas, the city-state really is an apotheosis of neo-liberal values.

On the one hand, it provides investors with a comfortable, Western-style, property-rights regime, including freehold ownership, that is unique in the region. Included with the package is a broad tolerance of booze, recreational drugs, halter tops, and other foreign vices formally proscribed by Islamic law. (When expats extol Dubai's unique "openness," it is this freedom to carouse -- not to organize unions or publish critical opinions -- that they are usually praising.)

On the other hand, Dubai, together with its emirate neighbors, has achieved the state of the art in the disenfranchisement of labor. Trade unions, strikes, and agitators are illegal, and 99% of the private-sector workforce are easily deportable non-citizens. Indeed, the deep thinkers at the American Enterprise and Cato institutes must salivate when they contemplate the system of classes and entitlements in Dubai.

At the top of the social pyramid, of course, are the al-Maktoums and their cousins who own every lucrative grain of sand in the sheikhdom. Next, the native 15% percent of the population -- whose uniform of privilege is the traditional white dishdash -- constitutes a leisure class whose obedience to the dynasty is subsidized by income transfers, free education, and government jobs. A step below, are the pampered mercenaries: 150,000-or-so British ex-pats, along with other European, Lebanese, and Indian managers and professionals, who take full advantage of their air-conditioned affluence and two-months of overseas leave every summer.

However, South Asian contract laborers, legally bound to a single employer and subject to totalitarian social controls, make up the great mass of the population. Dubai lifestyles are attended by vast numbers of Filipina, Sri Lankan, and Indian maids, while the building boom is carried on the shoulders of an army of poorly paid Pakistanis and Indians working twelve-hour shifts, six and half days a week, in the blast-furnace desert heat.

Dubai, like its neighbors, flouts ILO labor regulations and refuses to adopt the international Migrant Workers Convention. Human Rights Watch in 2003 accused the Emirates of building prosperity on "forced labor." Indeed, as the British Independent recently emphasized in an expos

^ Meanwhile, in the rest of the world...

This thread has nothing to do with buildings going up in the city of Houston, TX.

Not to nit-pick, but the Forum description does not identify that the only new or proposed projects be in Houston, so we are at a stalemate here, as I see your point that Dubai IS indeed in another part of the world. I will make sure that next time I decide to start a thread, that I will consult you as to where it would best suit it's purpose. Fair enough ?

It's in "Going Up!" as in look at all the stuff that's "going up" in Dubai. :P

BTW, there is a rumor the islands are sinking so maybe it should go in "Going Down!"

I have a picture of the dredging boats piling the sand up to make those islands, and the whole time I am looking at it, I am saying to myself, "I don't think they have thought all of this through." Sure enough, I read about how the currents were changed and the original shoreline was eroding at an astounding rate.

I have a picture of the dredging boats piling the sand up to make those islands, and the whole time I am looking at it, I am saying to myself, "I don't think they have thought all of this through." Sure enough, I read about how the currents were changed and the original shoreline was eroding at an astounding rate.

If I remember correctly, I too saw a special either on the History Channel or NG. I seem to remember they planned to cut channels in the outer horse shoe to increase the natural flow of the tides. Not sure if this ever happened.

Greetings all......from Afghanistan,

I have very recently had the great pleasure of spending a couple of nights within the very comfortable confines of DUBAI in route to my new job in Afghanistan respectfully.

PLEASE BELIEVE THE HYPE! For as I ventured into the Dubai International Airport, I can honestly assure you all that it was a welcome experience that I will never ever forget. Simply unbelievable experience......nonwirhstanding.....

Just mix in the immense heat factor along with the throngs of locals as well as tourist from everywhere imaginable.....and you will experience a sense of pure excitement that is almost surreal.

BIG YES! Construction cranes are simply everywhere.......as in 20% of the worlds supply........plsase, please experience the malls......for they are simply amazing........and your American made back pockets will simply love the DUBAI DURHAMS.........3.5% exchange rate to boot.......

GO THERE! TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.........

Metropolitantexan

Greetings all......from Afghanistan,

I have very recently had the great pleasure of spending a couple of nights within the very comfortable confines of DUBAI in route to my new job in Afghanistan respectfully.

PLEASE BELIEVE THE HYPE! For as I ventured into the Dubai International Airport, I can honestly assure you all that it was a welcome experience that I will never ever forget. Simply unbelievable experience......nonwirhstanding.....

Just mix in the immense heat factor along with the throngs of locals as well as tourist from everywhere imaginable.....and you will experience a sense of pure excitement that is almost surreal.

BIG YES! Construction cranes are simply everywhere.......as in 20% of the worlds supply........plsase, please experience the malls......for they are simply amazing........and your American made back pockets will simply love the DUBAI DURHAMS.........3.5% exchange rate to boot.......

GO THERE! TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.........

Metropolitantexan

While I agree that the airport is a life-changing experience... and the Malls (Wafi City, Burjuman Center) are some of best I've ever had the pleasure in shopping... not to mention the Awesome Hotels & resteraunts (Burj al Arab, The Hyatt, Jumeriah Beach, Merridian).

I don't think one should believe all the hype.

The Burjuman makes The Galleria look second-rate, and it's not even the nicest mall in Dubai anymore...

Anyway, I made it here safely, and I'll definitely be taking pictures while I'm here over the next few weeks.

The mind-boggling amount of construction here is continuing apace. My office is near Wafi City and I haven't been able to get out of that general area yet; hopefully I'll be able to make a trip down Sheikh Zayed Road in the coming days to see how much progress has been made on the Burj Dubai or the cluster of towers around the Dubai Marina. I am seeing, however, considerable progress on some developments such as Festival City and Dubai Healthcare City. The third bridge over the Dubai Creek is also well underway and hopefully will be open soon nd take some of traffic off the existing crossings along al-Makhtom Bridge and al-Garhoud Bridge.

Construction on the Dubai Metro Red Line is also beginning. Right now they're just doing excavations, civil works, utility locations and the like; we won't start seeing tracks for a while but if everything goeas well this much-needed train will be up and running sometime in 2009.

Progress on the airport expansion continues. That along with the continual growth of Emirates Airlines' fleet gives me hope that there will be nonstop flights between Houston and Dubai sometime in the near future.

More updates as I'm able to do so...

Recently I saw a very interesting TV program on building "The Palm". I think it was on "Modern Marvels".

One of the things they didn't consider in building The Palm is that the "island" actually changed the natural currents in the ocean and started to erode the natural shoreline at a high rate. (Sounds like projects there get the same environmental scrutiny as ones in Houston...). I don't think they've crafted an acceptable fix yet, short of just moving the impacted people out to The Palm

it seems that geologists and people who study currents and erosion would have warned against building these islands. i think these are HUGE money pits. fascinating, yet short-sighted to say the least.

it seems that geologists and people who study currents and erosion would have warned against building these islands. i think these are HUGE money pits. fascinating, yet short-sighted to say the least.

Well, from what they said on the program, the King wanted them to proceed with the project before they had fully completed the study on currents and such.

It was this rush through the project when they realized that not enough water was going through the outter ring to bring in fresh sea water. This was easily resolved by simply opening up a few extra channels.

The biggest thing was the erosion issue that was mentioned in a previous post and that too had a relatively simple (but costly) resolution.

The engineers of the project figured they could have made a better design if the King simply had been a bit more patient.

The king simply didn't have the patience so he ordered construction of that and a couple of other islands to proceed.

Once again, it's good to be the King.

Archived