Freeway Greenery

HOUCAJUN

Good news, I saw this driving down 288 the other day. Hopefully they'll add greenery to I10 when the expansion is complete. I think its very important to beautify and landscape our freeways and highways because this is the first impression visitors have of our city.

TxDOT has an ongoing project to beautify the freeways in Houston. Plantings have already been completed on some sections of 610, 45, 59, and several major interchanges. This has actually been going on for a few years but recently it seems they've picked up the pace. In addition to the landscaping work, elements such as painting the guardrails, retaining walls, and support columns of bridges, and decorative columns for overhead signs are included. Good examples of already completed projects are the West Loop south of 59, 59 through Sugar Land, and 59 under Hazard, Woodhead, Dunlavy, and Mandell. The Gulf Freeway/Sam Houston interchange is one of the earlier projects that's had time to mature and now looks really great.

TxDOT has an ongoing project to beautify the freeways in Houston. Plantings have already been completed on some sections of 610, 45, 59, and several major interchanges. This has actually been going on for a few years but recently it seems they've picked up the pace. In addition to the landscaping work, elements such as painting the guardrails, retaining walls, and support columns of bridges, and decorative columns for overhead signs are included. Good examples of already completed projects are the West Loop south of 59, 59 through Sugar Land, and 59 under Hazard, Woodhead, Dunlavy, and Mandell. The Gulf Freeway/Sam Houston interchange is one of the earlier projects that's had time to mature and now looks really great.

I was wondering about all those little baby trees being held up by sticks along 45...

The Sugarland section of 59 is going to also be covered with ivies! I drove on the feeder a week ago, and the ivy was starting to grow in!

Same with 59 in the Museum Dist. Once the ivy grows in, along with the crepe myrtles, and Oaks, it will be a very nice freeway!

IMO, some fancy fiber optics on those bridges would be UBER!

As for 288, I like 288. It is free of Billboards, and the grassy median is a nice change from the usual masses of concrete on the other freeways. Even with expansion, some of the median can probably be reserved, and some plantings on it would really enhance the freeway. Inside the loop, when the thing is in a semi trench, they could simply place some excellent plantings on the sides (maybe kinda like in Canada, where they have flowers and stuff) OR, they could seed the thing with wildflowers in the spring, to go with the oaks, and whatever they would plant there!

Fix these things up nicely, and HOu can have some excellent highways!

They need to add some kind of Greenery to Westheimer!

Your wish will be coming true on a section of Westheimer. TxDOT is currently reconfiguring the center medians on Westheimer between Hwy. 6 and Post Oak. Within the Westchase District, spaces are being opened up on the medians for the Westchase District to add landscaping. Most of the medians will still be concrete, but at least in Westchase, some of them will have some greenery.

Your wish will be coming true on a section of Westheimer. TxDOT is currently reconfiguring the center medians on Westheimer between Hwy. 6 and Post Oak. Within the Westchase District, spaces are being opened up on the medians for the Westchase District to add landscaping. Most of the medians will still be concrete, but at least in Westchase, some of them will have some greenery.

will they do this on westheimer between chimney rock and gessner?

Ugliest roadways in Houston:

1. I-45 North and South

2. 1960

3. Highway 6

4. Westheimer west of 610

5. Richmond west of 610

I-45 is just about the most hideous roadway on earth! It's complete visual annihilation. Bean bags, used cars, bad furniture, ugly billboards, shiny flags, etc. The only solution would be to condemn the properties along the corridor, tear everything down and plant trees.

1960, Highway 6, Westheimer, and Richmond all have the same problem. They suffer from strip center madness. Sprawl's finest hour! It's like you're in one of those cartoons where the same scene repeats over and over and over again.

But, Houston has some beautiful roadways:

1. Main Street and Fannin from University to Bissonnet

2. Main Street downtown

3. Heights Blvd

4. US 59 from Kirby to Montrose

5. Every Cotswald street downtown

6. Memorial from downtown through Memorial

7. Allen Parway to Kirby (until Westheimer)

will they do this on westheimer between chimney rock and gessner?

No. That was not in the schematics I saw for the project before construction started. Outside fo the Westchase District the medians will be plain old ugly concrete and nothing more.

Is the Westchase District funding the median greenery? I live on Woodland Park Dr. and they usually put up signs letting us know when they're enhancing the neighborhood - but no sign this time on Westheimer...

Glen

Yes I think it is being put in by the district, but I don't think it's going to be installed right away. That's probably why there are no signs.

Where on Woodland Park do you live? I lived on Woodland Park until August.

Ugliest roadways in Houston:

1. I-45 North and South

I-45 is just about the most hideous roadway on earth!

Pretty much agree with your observations, including the positive ones.

A small stretch of I-45 (from downtown to the North Main exit) is already attractive, and (if the recent plantings take hold) it will be more so in a year or two.

Gramercy Park was a great place when I moved in back in January 2000. It was still owned by Martin Fein, the original developer of the complex. After looking at several complexes developed by Fein when I was planning a move earlier this year, I am convinced they are one of the best apartment builders in the city. Under Fein, management at Gramercy Park was great and there weren't that many kids. However, when the property was sold to Equity Residential things started to go downhill a little. Maintenance requests took longer to be fulfilled, landscaping was allowed to die off and not be replaced, and amenities like the free bicycles, door-to-door trash pickup, and social events went away. At the same time, the economic downturn hit and it seemed the standards for new renters declined. That's when all of the kids EVERYWHERE started appearing. Unfortunately the complex has a large number of three bedroom units and those appeal mostly to families. Fortunately my building remained mostly children free and quiet. The apartments themselves are very nice and well built. I loved my apartment and the floorplan. The apartments are also well sound-proofed so I never had a noise issue with any of the neighbors. The main reason I left was my desire to move inside 610 and be closer to friends, church, and my social life. And even though the manager and staff Equity put in Gramercy Park weren't the greatest, I ended up in another Equity property and have been very pleased with the staff at it.

Archived