Katy Going To Become The Next Spring Branch?

ekarl17

Do you guys think the north part of katy (above I-10) is going to become some day the next Spring Branch?

Well, I totally think so because there are many Hispanics on the northside of the katy freeway! and Morton Ranch, and Mayde Creek High Schools are getting kinda ghetto, they both have a 40 % population of Hispanis in their alumni, and besides, there many Hispanic meat markets aroudn North Fry Road like "La Alameda Carniceria" = The Alemeda Meatmarket, and also " La Durango Carniceria". What do you guys think about it?? :mellow:

Lord I hope so, I just put in a bid to purchase in Williamsburg Settlement. I am praying that the new mall is still going in, and that someone will pick up the ball on the waterpark project. Of course which part of Spring Branch is relative.

Edited by TJones

I think it already seems to lean pretty heavily ethnic with cookie cutter type development pretty widespread. The areas South of Clay especially.

South of Clay. Are you kidding me? Take a drive north of Clay on Fry Road or Barker Cypress. There are even more cookie cutter subdivisions.

Lord I hope so, I just put in a bid to purchase in Williamsburg Settlement. I am praying that the new mall is still going in, and that someone will pick up the ball on the waterpark project. Of course which part of Spring Branch is relative.

That's a nice neighborhood. It is the Nottingham of North Katy.

Nottingham on North Katy?? what?

so........what i'm trying to do..........i mean if you guys are architects or something related to that..........please encourage home builders to build master planned communities in North Katy.........to actually stop making a Katy-Spring Branch Area!

Morton Creek Ranch is going to go up soon behind Forbidden Gardens. It is pretty big. Williamsburg was supposed to be the Cinco Ranch of North Katy, but it had bad timing. They only ended up having five neighborhoods.

Around Williamsburg Parish, they have a neighborhood called Lakecrest by Lennar, has four other builders, that is real larger. Then Stonecrest by Gehan has about two other builders.

Whend is Morton Creek Ranch going be build?...........Where's Stonecrest located at? and what happend to the Williamsburg Development.........is it ever going to come back??

Well I was looking at the GP proposed alignment and saw Morton Creek Ranch has a neighborhood. It was real large, and larger than anything around it. A little bigger than Stonegate in Cypress.

Stonecrest is west of the Grand Parkway (GP). You make a left on Colonial Parkway (Park Row, Dairy Ashford, etc.), and it will be about half a mile until you reach it. It has two sides, one on each side of Colonial Parkway. The left hand side will be right behind the Memorial Hermann Medical Center under construction.

Williamsburg will never be back. Postwood Homes (that cheap homebuilder that doesn't finish homes), came in and built some of Williamsburg Parish. They actually doubled the size of it. That neighborhood is now complete.

Lastly, Trophy Homes is building a neighborhood right behind Williamsburg Parish. They will probably connect the streets with each neighborhood.

Pretty much if you see homes by David Powers, Trendmaker etc you are in good shape.

If you see hoods with Royce, KB home, or Choice, you are going to get some rubbish moving in.

And those are the exact homebuilders north Katy is seeing. When you go down the feeder of IH-10 Westbound, you see David Powers and Trendmaker and all of those expensive homebuilder signs pointing south. But then you see Royce and Morrison Homes pointing North.

Guest danax
Do you guys think the north part of katy (above I-10) is going to become some day the next Spring Branch?

Well, I totally think so because there are many Hispanics on the northside of the katy freeway! and Morton Ranch, and Mayde Creek High Schools are getting kinda ghetto, they both have a 40 % population of Hispanis in their alumni, and besides, there many Hispanic meat markets aroudn North Fry Road like "La Alameda Carniceria" = The Alemeda Meatmarket, and also " La Durango Carniceria". What do you guys think about it?? :mellow:

"Diversity" can be a great thing, meaning mixed sub-cultures all behaving in harmony. Unfortunately, in lower-middle income areas, what usually happens is that one group moves in and another moves out. This kills diversity and, if that were to happen where you're talking about, then perhaps it would look like Spring Branch and you would have good reason to fear a decline in how the neighborhood looks, school performance etc. But, as mentioned, this is Texas 2006 and maybe that won't happen. :rolleyes:

If those are cheap homes built with green lumber past their prime and maybe the slabs are starting to crack, then it would be natural to expect a decline. It would be helpful, no matter what happens, to have intact HOAs in those neighborhoods. As unpopular as HOAs can be to some, check some of the older neighborhoods around town without HOAs and see which are more "ghetto". Even deed restrictions are almost a joke because the city will only enforce the ones having to do with property use and setback issues and even those things can take ridiculously long to get any results. People need to learn to behave according to high standards. Let the guard down and it's tough to get it back.

the new "next galleria" developement north of i-10 on 99 is going to be great so that could help the demographic a bit. since interfin is also supposed to build residential communities next to the development.

spring branch offers nothing in sorts like that, and north of i-10 will also be the texas childrens hospital. the area is not as bad as spring branch, but if still more apartments and shabby construction continues it could engulf the area into a parallel of spring branch.

I think the area is going down hill. I moved about a year ago. There were other factors, but that was a big one.

Guest Plastic

WHy do people consider that area Katy.? Anything North of Clay Rd and East of Fry is Bear Creek.

Edited by Plastic

no i was thinking it'd wind up more like Pasadena...

honestly tho- at some point with all the gentrification of neighborhoods that are close to town the displaced groups have to move somewhere...

back in the day, white flight allowed lower economic groups to settle in areas close to town.

as the mid- higher economic groups re settle back in those neighborhoods it would only be reasonable to believe that places like Katy will at some point see an influx of lower economic groups populating those areas...

GhostDog, you are right. The area north of I-10 is going to have lower-middle income demographics simply because of geography and the way Houston is designed. Houston is built on two systems: first you have the concentric rings system (610, Beltway 8, 1960, Grand Parkway), and second, you have the sector wedge system, which is the freeways/major thoroughfares that extend outward in every direction. Demographics always stay similar along wedge sectors, and as the north Katy area becomes more connected to Houston, the hispanic community will continue to expand in that wedge north of I-10 and south of 290. In this way, north Katy should end up very similar in culture to Spring Branch in 10 years unless something major happens that affects the way everyone lives or the way Houston is designed.

While the demographics should be similar, the comparisons stop there. North Katy is nothing like Spring Branch. Spring Branch still has a strong community feel to it, at least the parts of Spring Branch proper that are around the Long Point and Pech Rd. intersection. The houses in Spring Branch might be small, but they are built well, as evident from their 40 year durability. Also, the lots are big and the neighborhood has some charm and character. North Katy has community vibe that joins everything together. The houses are cookie cutter on small lots (with the exception of anything built pre mid-90s), not very well built, and kind of depressing looking, much like other neighborhoods outside the Beltway with no trees, small yards, and cookie cutter homes tightly squeezed together. Those types of neighborhoods have more potential to become shady and attract crime and hermit type people, so, considering Spring Branch's crime isn't that bad, I'd be more worried about living in North Katy. Sorry that my forecast is so gloomy, but that's the way it is.

WHy do people consider that area Katy.? Anything North of Clay Rd and East of Fry is Bear Creek.

What area?

And there are plenty of trees. Give it forty years like Spring Branch, and this place will be forested.

Edited by Trae

I have been watching the entire area N of IH-10 and S of 290 (especially S of FM-529) go downhill for the last five years or so. The smaller, cookie cutter neighborhoods scattered throughout the area just cannot sustain people who care about their property. I grew up in SW Houston and this area is starting to remind me of Alief 15 years ago when it started to turn nasty. The one exception is that there are not as many apartments but it is still in the midst of a rapid decline IMO. Just ask the administrators of Katy and Cy-Fair ISDs who are trying to figure out what to do with all the gangs and drugs that are penetraing their schools. Not new, just more prevalent.

If Hispanics becoming a large presence both socially and economically is the criteria, then basically the entire Houston metropolitan area is becoming "like Spring Branch".

And, yes, surprise, surprise, their are "cookie cutter" developments spawning the length of Fry Road as well as Mason, Clay and FM 529. Big shock. Whether we want to be honest or not, cookie cutter residential development has been widespread throughout this country since the 1800s. Even our ballyhooed urban paradises are wrought with similarly designed rowhouse, townhouses and the like lining the streets. The difference here is that the new cookie cutter development is 20 miles from downtown as opposed to 2 miles.

Regardless, what the Houston housing market is doing is allowing a large percentage of people to live in a wider array of neighborhoods that they probably wouldn't be able to live if they were in some other markets--like Miami, Los Angeles or Washington, D.C. Depending on your views, this is likely to have both positives and negatives. You'll have a good number of working class people living upper middle income lifestyles, being assets and living a closer version of "the dream" than maybe they would have otherwise. But then you'll of course have that element that's set in their ways and prone to doing things that make things more difficult for the community at large.

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out in 20 years.