Katy Going To Become The Next Spring Branch?

ekarl17

Is there anything that the residents of that area could do......to stop "forming" the NEW Spring Branch............HOA.........MAlllll.............hospitals................expen

sive communities.......or what??

Hold a gun to Ben Bernanke's head and make him raise interest rates precipitously. That'll kill off development of those neighborhoods with 45-foot-wide lots. It'll also seriously hurt the poor...but if Katy-North is that important to you, then I guess that that'd be justified.

Seriously though, HOAs are only as powerful as the residents allow, Greenspoint Mall doesn't seem to have helped much, hospitals are in all neighborhoods, wealthy and poor, and expensive communities are unlikely to be formed there at this point. I'm sure that you can tell that I'm just teeming with optimism...

Read the last post that I wrote. It's never going to be like Spring Branch, because other than the demographics, the two areas are nothing alike. Spring Branch is more of a city neighborhood, while north Katy is just cookie cutter homes built way out on remote farm land. It'll definitely be completely ghetto in 10 years, but it won't be like Spring Branch. I don't know why you single out that neighborhood. It's actually a nice place to live. I'd feel safer in Spring Branch right now than I would in north Katy right now, let's put it that way.

Read the last post that I wrote. It's never going to be like Spring Branch, because other than the demographics, the two areas are nothing alike. Spring Branch is more of a city neighborhood, while north Katy is just cookie cutter homes built way out on remote farm land. It'll definitely be completely ghetto in 10 years, but it won't be like Spring Branch. I don't know why you single out that neighborhood. It's actually a nice place to live. I'd feel safer in Spring Branch right now than I would in north Katy right now, let's put it that way.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! :lol: You Wish ! :blush: I'll put response time for Police in North Katy against Spring Branch anytime. Let's let the "Crime Statistics" prove which place is safer. I love the fact that you say North Katy will be "Ghetto" in 10 years but not "Spring Branch Ghetto." What does that mean ? I would be willing to bet the amount of "burgular bars" in Spring Branch is about a 5 to 1 ratio as compared to Katy. :ph34r::lol:

http://www.houstoncrimestats.org/index.php...14&radius=2

This map really isn't fair because I have yet to find one with the 77449 zip code, but I will post it as soon as I find it.

I also found these comparisons, and when you figure in the actual population, Katy is approx. 4 times larger in it's zip code than Spring Valley(Branch), 12,000 in 77449 as opposed to 3400 in 77055. So times the amount of crime per incident by 4 in the Spring branch area.

http://www.bestplaces.net/zip-code/default...city=Houston_TX

http://www.bestplaces.net/zip-code/default...mp;city=Katy_TX

Edited by TJones

Just because Spring Branch has become predominantly hispanic doesn't mean it has a lot of crime. It's actually rather peaceful. I'd be more worried about the types of people who would want to live in North Katy which has no geography, no planning, just a bunch of ugly houses squeezed together on small lots and shady apartment complexes. I was completely serious when I said I'd rather live in Spring Branch. In fact, my grandmother, who recently passed away, lived in Spring Branch for like 40-something years until the day she died. The only thing that ever happened to her in that entire time frame was her truck getting stolen, and that was in 1991.

Even if the crime statistics show Katy to be safer than S.B., I'd still live in S.B. because it has a comfortable feel to it, whereas if I lived in North Katy, I'd need to be on heavy doses of medication every day so that I wouldn't completely lose my mind.

I said North Katy would be ghetto in 10 years, but still not like Spring Branch, because Spring Branch is not ghetto. Just because it's mostly hispanics doesn't make it ghetto. My original differentiation between the two areas was that they looked very dissimilar, with one being a more urban residential development and the other being a disjoined mass of low income suburban sprawl. I'm just saying that visually and aesthetically they are different.

Edited by PureAuteur

My post has NO designation as to what RACE is committing the crime, just the amount of them, and Spring Branch is CLEARLY the winner as to who has MORE crimes being committed.

btw PureA, notice that I am using Spring Valley, which is the NICEST part of Spring Branch, and the crime is still worse than "ghetto katy".

Edited by TJones

Just because Spring Branch has become predominantly hispanic doesn't mean it has a lot of crime. It's actually rather peaceful. I'd be more worried about the types of people who would want to live in North Katy which has no geography, no planning, just a bunch of ugly houses squeezed together on small lots and shady apartment complexes.

what does no geography mean to you?

I've been following this post with great interest as I live in the 77449 zip near Fry and Clay (but still in Katy ISD). We've lived here 7 years and feel completely safe here. I grew up in Houston (Walnut Bend) until I was 10 and then lived in SOUTH Katy (Nottingham Country) until college. When I graduated from A&M and moved back to Houston, we lived all over the west side of Houston. When we finally decided to buy a house, we didn't want to have to work 24/7 to keep a higher mortgage so we found a great house in north Katythat we could afford and still enjoy life. We intended it to be a starter house, but are still here and will be for a few more years. I take my son out walking all the time in my neighborhood and feel completely safe. Yes, it is more diverse than the south side BUT is far from the "Ghetto" some posters describe. Not that it matters to me but it seems to in this topic, so I will say I'm caucasian and so is about 70% of the residents of my street. Our lot is not huge, but much bigger than those described. Our street has many big trees as our home is 20+ years old. The neighbors are friendly and for the most part the homes are very well maintained. If I thought I was in grave danger, I would move now. We will move to a bigger home someday and it probably will be south of 1-10 as husband loves the Nottingham Country area, but we love the home we have now and north Katy has been great to us. It is far from ghetto or scary or dangerous here. Just my 2 cents since I've lived on BOTH sides and can give a fair assessment as I live my life here everyday.

WHy do people consider that area Katy.? Anything North of Clay Rd and East of Fry is Bear Creek.

Very good question...!!! Maybe because the USPS considers that area Katy...???

I live exactly in that area: North side of Clay Rd., East of Fry Rd and West of Green House Rd.

Edited by Zapata

Soifan, as you see though, PureA is off his rocker. Numbers show the truth, whether he wants to be blind to it or not. Parts of Spring Branch are very very nice, and the price for the homes prove it, but it has for the most part, turned into slumsville, with a trickling of nice spots here and there. That's not to say that Katy doesn't have it's bad spots either. It will take much longer than 10 years to become what most of Spring Branch has become though. I try to avoid driving down Longpoint like the plague.

Our lot is not huge, but much bigger than those described. Our street has many big trees as our home is 20+ years old.

Yep, the older neighborhoods in your area are generally better. Its the new stuff that's going to deteriorate pretty quickly. Too many small lots.

I meant that it was just flat, treeless farmland when I said no geography.

The word you might be looking for is "topography".

I have to say I was pretty surprised to see a new strip center off of Barker-Cypress just south of Morton Rd.... "Mega Supermercado and Taqueria" in very large, obnoxious letters with assorted other Spanish words. I am sure the folks in Barkers Ridge, Deerfield Village and Amesbury Place are wetting themselves. :lol:

Edited by Parrothead

Good for that business owner. Give that area some personality. How am I off my rocker? I never said Spring Branch was safer than Katy. I just said that regardless of the actual statistics, I'd FEEL safer in Spring Branch, mainly because I'm very familiar with it, and my dad was raised there and my church is there. I also like the character and grit that the neighborhood possesses. I'm not trying to bash north Katy, but I just feel empty when I'm driving around through there. There's no visual stimulation. I'd much rather drive down Long Point than drive down Fry Rd.

The word you might be looking for is "topography".

I have to say I was pretty surprised to see a new strip center off of Barker-Cypress just south of Morton Rd.... "Mega Supermercado and Taqueria" in very large, obnoxious letters with assorted other Spanish words. I am sure the folks in Barkers Ridge, Deerfield Village and Amesbury Place are wetting themselves. :lol:

Funny you should mention Deerfield. My wife and I absolutely love that neighborhood. There is only one teeny tiny problem..................planes falling out of the sky. I kept telling my wife that was the only thing that was keeping us from buying in there, and she called me crazy, saying, "What's the odds?" I kid you not, two days later a plane dropped onto the golf course across the street, and she said,"Ok, we ain't buying in there!" :D

Funny you should mention Deerfield. My wife and I absolutely love that neighborhood. There is only one teeny tiny problem..................planes falling out of the sky. I kept telling my wife that was the only thing that was keeping us from buying in there, and she called me crazy, saying, "What's the odds?" I kid you not, two days later a plane dropped onto the golf course across the street, and she said,"Ok, we ain't buying in there!" :D

Does a typical homeowner's insurance policy cover for that kind of thing?

Does a typical homeowner's insurance policy cover for that kind of thing?

I'll ask me mum in the morn. It may fall under act of GOD ! Now, if the plane were to smash into your house, burst into flames and burn the house down, it might be covered.

• The title was changed to Katy Going To Become The Next Spring Branch?