I Need A Builder/Architect For A New Contemporary Style Home

Confused??

Hi there -

I bought a property in West U, corner lot, 90 x 80, and am looking to find a builder architect. I was hoping to get help in finding a builder/architect who would build a contemporary style home about 3000 sq feet, new york loft style, open areas, large windows, beautiful finishes, and roof-top terrace.

I would appreciate any and all of your help! I looked through the GHBA website and others. It has been difficult to find builders who build contemporary homes and are reasonably priced.

Thanks!

Hi there -

I bought a property in West U, corner lot, 90 x 80, and am looking to find a builder architect. I was hoping to get help in finding a builder/architect who would build a contemporary style home about 3000 sq feet, new york loft style, open areas, large windows, beautiful finishes, and roof-top terrace.

I would appreciate any and all of your help! I looked through the GHBA website and others. It has been difficult to find builders who build contemporary homes and are reasonably priced.

Thanks!

New York loft style, beautiful finishes, and a roof top terrace in West U "reasonaby priced"?

:huh:

What do you consider reasonably priced?

flipper

New York loft style, beautiful finishes, and a roof top terrace in West U "reasonaby priced"?

:huh:

What do you consider reasonably priced?

flipper

My first time to do this: What should I consider reasonably priced? Do you know a builder that can do this? How much would it cost me? I bought the land. I was hoping the arcitectural design/planning/building/inspections - everything to be about $15 to $150/ sq foot

My first time to do this: What should I consider reasonably priced? Do you know a builder that can do this? How much would it cost me? I bought the land. I was hoping the arcitectural design/planning/building/inspections - everything to be about $15 to $150/ sq foot

I meant $125 to $150

Hi there -

Thanks!

Considering the location of the lot, I suspect you're going to run across lots and lots of contractors that are going to pad the bill 'cause you're in the big money part of town.

Call Kirk Gant at BGK Architects. 713-237-8002. He LOVES contemporary design. He'll probably show you the one he is drawing for himself. He can also handle design/build, since he owns his own firm, and is building his home. He also knows numerous quality builders, if that is not an option. He is a very good friend of mine. I can vouch for the ethics and non-padding of bills. I just got off the phone with him. I did not want to recommend him if the $125-150 range would not work. Depending on your taste in materials, that range is not out of line.

Hope this helps.

Call Kirk Gant at BGK Architects. 713-237-8002. He LOVES contemporary design. He'll probably show you the one he is drawing for himself. He can also handle design/build, since he owns his own firm, and is building his home. He also knows numerous quality builders, if that is not an option. He is a very good friend of mine. I can vouch for the ethics and non-padding of bills. I just got off the phone with him. I did not want to recommend him if the $125-150 range would not work. Depending on your taste in materials, that range is not out of line.

Hope this helps.

Thank you- Does he have a website?

I meant $125 to $150

I might know a good one through somebody else, but I don't remember his name. A friend of mine met the guy at Carlos Jimenez's funeral. He's building a home for himself right now at Colquitt and Ferndale Streets, just west of Kirby. It is a minimalist-style teal green one-bedroom cube. Big home, though, and excellent use of light and shadow. It has a rooftop terrace. The driveway is comprised of lateral concrete beams with grass growing between them.

If you go out there to check it out, be sure to walk all the way around it. The front door isn't visible from the street and the back door is hidden as well. If you like it, just leave him a note around the home somewhere that he'll find it. I'll see if I can't find out his name, in the mean time.

From my understanding, he's been able to keep his costs below $120/sf.

Oh that house! I was wondering about that house, its been under construction for like 5 years! When's he finishing it?

One bedroom? He's self financing because no bank is going to loan you money for a one bedroom house.

Oh that house! I was wondering about that house, its been under construction for like 5 years! When's he finishing it?

One bedroom? He's self financing because no bank is going to loan you money for a one bedroom house.

He's built 15 or 16 homes around town already, pre-sales at first, and then speculatively. He's now got a good track record and a relationship with his lender.

He's built 15 or 16 homes around town already, pre-sales at first, and then speculatively. He's now got a good track record and a relationship with his lender.

Why am I suspicious of this quote? Could it be that someone who does not even know the person's name likely does not know his financial situation? :blink:

Why am I suspicious of this quote? Could it be that someone who does not even know the person's name likely does not know his financial situation? :blink:

You're right to be suspicious. After all, I am just reporting hearsay.

But my friend had already asked these questions of the architect/builder and that's what he was told. I will follow up and get back to you when I know more.

You're right to be suspicious. After all, I am just reporting hearsay.

But my friend had already asked these questions of the architect/builder and that's what he was told. I will follow up and get back to you when I know more.

Niche-

Thank you for the info! I would greatly appreciate your friends name, contact info, and also the architect/builder's name and contact info. $120/ sq foot is more like it. Please PM me with details or I can give you my contact info.

Patrick Berrios Designs.

Speak to Patrick. His main business is large upscale homes (most of which tend to be Mediterranean because of the current trend) but he is a god at contemporary design.

He is great to work with, very nice, extremely talented and very professional. He will knock your socks off.

gwilson- thanks. Did contact their office and am looking forward to meeting him. I was hoping to see some contemprary work experience.

rps- replied to W.E. Gilbert. I like their green approach. I'm wondering about their experience with contemporary residential design.

Also replied to enter arcitecture. I'm also wondeering about her experience with new residential design.

gwilson- thanks. Did contact their office and am looking forward to meeting him. I was hoping to see some contemprary work experience.

rps- replied to W.E. Gilbert. I like their green approach. I'm wondering about their experience with contemporary residential design.

Also replied to enter arcitecture. I'm also wondeering about her experience with new residential design.

Both have experience in that arena.

Russell Hruska owns a firm called Intexure Architects. Great guy and UofH grad. He and Chip Mealy, of Mealy Builders, built a home on the corner of Academy and Coleridge (I believe) that was on the AIA Home Tour a couple of years ago. Russell has a great eye for contemporary design and you can see that is the office/home he is building in the 1800 block of Southmore near Almeda in the Museum District. Chip is building the office/home for Russell, too. They work very well together. The windows, natural light, and openess of the space is incredible. I am a Realtor and Russell has helped several of my clients and all have been happy with his work. I also feel he did a lot of work for his pay and is a patient pleasure to work with. I know he has many others who can vouch for him including the owner of the home in West U. His number is 713-236-0071. His website is www.intexure.com

http://www.mc2architects.com

http://www.unicornarch.com

http://crescentdesigngroup.com

All UH guys with a great sense of design. UH is a design school first and foremost.

It certainly is...I even took a couple of architecture courses there, but couldn't stand the focus on design and the lack of down-to-earth professionalism. My understanding is that A&M offers what I was really looking for.

Btw, my "buddy" is giving me the cold shoulder. I haven't even been able to talk with him for a week and am not sure why. I'm going to drop by unexpected and try to get info out of him tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your posts. I'm still in the interviewing process. A few names you have not mentioned that I will also be interviewing are (1) Wittenberg/Obelholzer (2) Rudy Colby Designs (3) Stern and Bucek Architects (4) Camilo Parra

Any thoughts regarding the above?

Thanks!

It certainly is...I even took a couple of architecture courses there, but couldn't stand the focus on design and the lack of down-to-earth professionalism. My understanding is that A&M offers what I was really looking for.

Btw, my "buddy" is giving me the cold shoulder. I haven't even been able to talk with him for a week and am not sure why. I'm going to drop by unexpected and try to get info out of him tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your posts. I'm still in the interviewing process. A few names you have not mentioned that I will also be interviewing are (1) Wittenberg/Obelholzer (2) Rudy Colby Designs (3) Stern and Bucek Architects (4) Camilo Parra

Thanks!

I don't know them personally, but I have enjoyed Wittenberg/Obelholzer and Parra's work. Parra seems to have gotten into the mass townhome development craze. Wittenberg maybe a bit pricey. I think if you find someone down to Earth that you can communicate with and listens to you, you should be happy. The budget you have should be very doable with most, too.

Actually any architect can work with any budget you give them. That's the beauty of hiring a real architect. I also quite like Val Giltsch. Also I've seen a Form Works Design house that looks fantastic. Keep us updated.

Thanks!

Stern and Bucek are probably one of my favorite locals. They are great at new construction as well as renovation projects. They did the Menil renovation. Anyone qualified to work on a Philip Johnson structure is good in my book. Karen Lantz (of Enter) does a great job too. If you've ever seen the TV show Nip/Tuck, I would say that her style reminds me of that show. She has a great sense of modern style, if that is what you are looking for.

Hi guys-

Just wanted to fill you in regarding my progress. I met with Kirk Gant, Camilo Parra, Mark Obelholzer, William Stern/David Bucek/Daniel Hall, Karen Lantz. I have also communicated with Val Glitsch, Chung Nguyen (mc2), Russell Hruska, Jeff Sipes (W E Gilbert), Joe Meppelink (Framework-ad), Patrick Berrios Design. I have previously met with MDGIlofts.

One thing for sure, I like all of them in their own way. Very professional, informative, and intelligent. We are narrowing our list down in the next week after we complete our interviewing process.

Our criteria remains: (1) Style (2) Experience (3) Enthusiam (4) Cost

Fill you in when we make our decision

Archived