I Need A Builder/Architect For A New Contemporary Style Home

Confused??

Have any of you worked with Carlos Jimenez. Do you know what he charges for his work. Would he be a good pick for a modern home?

Hi guys-

Just wanted to fill you in regarding my progress. I met with Kirk Gant, Camilo Parra, Mark Obelholzer, William Stern/David Bucek/Daniel Hall, Karen Lantz. I have also communicated with Val Glitsch, Chung Nguyen (mc2), Russell Hruska, Jeff Sipes (W E Gilbert), Joe Meppelink (Framework-ad), Patrick Berrios Design. I have previously met with MDGIlofts.

One thing for sure, I like all of them in their own way. Very professional, informative, and intelligent. We are narrowing our list down in the next week after we complete our interviewing process.

Our criteria remains: (1) Style (2) Experience (3) Enthusiam (4) Cost

Fill you in when we make our decision

• 1 month later...
You'll enjoy working with Berrios. In addition to being a great architect, he is one of the coolest people you'll ever meet and makes the process fun.

Mr. Wilson

Mr. Berrios is not an architect. I think you need to check out the credentials of the people you hire for your project. Calling yourself and architect its agains the Law in the state of Texas.

You can check with the with the Texas Society of Architects to see who is and who is not and Architect and also with AIA if they are members with that Association and finaly you can call the State Board of Architecture to find out also.

Have a good day.

Mr. Wilson

Mr. Berrios is not an architect. I think you need to check out the credentials of the people you hire for your project. Calling yourself and architect its agains the Law in the state of Texas.

You can check with the with the Texas Society of Architects to see who is and who is not and Architect and also with AIA if they are members with that Association and finaly you can call the State Board of Architecture to find out also.

Have a good day.

Mr. Berrios is in fact an architect and is AIA member as well.

Mr. Berrios is in fact an architect and is AIA member as well.

Looking at Mr. Berrios' website, not once anywhere on the site does he state that he is either an architect or an AIA member. Given that architects are usually very proud of their designation as an architect, as opposed to merely a designer, I am compelled to believe that Mr. Berrios is merely a designer.

As bruno states, Mr. Berrios is not listed on the Texas Society of Architects as a registered architect either. Designers CAN draw residential structures. However, an architect must complete a rigorous university curriculum, an internship and pass a test to become a registered architect. A designer does not.

Side note to Niche. As I understand it, A&M has a 4 year degree in Environmental Design that does not cover all of the requirements to become a registered architect. They do not have a baccalaureate architecture degree, which usually requires 5 years. One would be required to attend the Masters program for 2 additional years to sit for certification. I have never heard an explanation as to why this is so.

Mr. Wilson

If what you saying is true did Mr. Patrick Berrios of Patrick Berrios Design located in Houston Texas told you that he was a registered Architect with the State of Texas and also a member of AIA before he started your project?

Thank You

Bruno

Mr. Berrios is not an architect, he didn't even go to college. I know this for a fact. It is against the law for an unlicensed person to call themselves an "Architect" and that is why his company is called a "design" firm. It takes a lot of time and enegry for those who go through college and become a registered Architect, please do not lie on this forum about those firms who one day decided to open up shop and call themselves whatever they want. I agree with Mr. Bruno people should go to the Texas sate board of Architects website to get a list of real Architects. There is even a board for certified designers and he is also not certified there either. Thank you.

Mr. Berrios is not an architect, he didn't even go to college. I know this for a fact. It is against the law for an unlicensed person to call themselves an "Architect" and that is why his company is called a "design" firm. It takes a lot of time and enegry for those who go through college and become a registered Architect, please do not lie on this forum about those firms who one day decided to open up shop and call themselves whatever they want. I agree with Mr. Bruno people should go to the Texas sate board of Architects website to get a list of real Architects. There is even a board for certified designers and he is also not certified there either. Thank you.

here is the link the the National Council of Building Designer Certification

National Council of Building Designer Certification

http://www.ncbdc.com/

check and see if you can find his name, its not there.

Are you saying I'm lying?

As far as I know, Patrick Berrios is an Architect. This might be an assumption on my part, but he has participated in quite a few AIA events including this past sand castle competition this summer.

Regardless, he is extremely talented. I would take talent over a designation any day.

Are you saying I'm lying?

As far as I know, Patrick Berrios is an Architect. This might be an assumption on my part, but he has participated in quite a few AIA events including this past sand castle competition this summer.

Regardless, he is extremely talented. I would take talent over a designation any day.

Please also ask Patrick where he attend college, you will find that he didn't even get any kind of education past a high school diploma. This may not be important to you, but if I'm going to hire someone to do something like design a structure, they better have some kind of education in it as well as be held accountable in some form by having a license or some sort of certification. If you would take "talent" over a "designation" then I'd sure hate to see who your doctor, lawyer,or so called architect is because that means they never even got an education in the field.

And this is what's so scary about all these new houses poping up everywhere. Most of them don't even use real architects to design them. Terrible!

The million dollar houses going up and its got so many problems design wise. I feel sorry for the buyers.

Here is a case in point, would you buy a 3.7 million dollar home from a guy who can't even draw a proper rendering of what your house is going to look like? Crazy...

Note to "architect" an elevation drawing isn't in perspective!

hr1583604-9.jpg

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...mp;backButton=Y

Sorry guys, I was mistaken. Patrick is not actually an architect. I made an assumption and was wrong.

The big problem is that people assume that this drafstman's are Register Architects. Mr. Berrios is not a Architect or a Certified Building Designer he is just a drafstman that people think he is an Architect. If Mr. Berrios would tell his clients that he is a draftsman he would not get many projects.

I assume that Mr. Berrios does not reveal that he is a drafstman and lets people belive he is an Architect prime sample of the is Mr. Wilson.

We need to be more aware of who we hire you dont want a draftsman working on your million dollar home.

You need to check his credentials and ask if he is Registered or Certified.

Thank You

Bruno

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would throw out Micheal Keller. I have worked with him and he is creative, enthusiastic and works hard. He designed a really cool midrise that I want to try and get built. Plus he worked on my townhomes at Rusk and St Charlesd that I hope to start in the next week or two.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like Berrios designs drop the ball on this project. Check this out

http://www.ci.sugar-land.tx.us/city_hall/c...06zba/2a/2a.htm

Check this out another one can tell the difference!!

Check Daigle web page under links http://www.robertdaiglebuilders.com/

He has berrios design as "Architect" I guess he is also blind to see that Mr. Berrios is a draftsman.

Some ones needs to write Mr. Daigle and ask him if he could supply Mr. Berrios Architect Registration Number.

Its time some for some one report this fake Architect to state board thats 2 people he has fool to believe he is a register Architect I wonder how many people he has fool all this time.

You can report it here http://www.tbae.state.tx.us/

• 2 weeks later...

Thats too bad. I was hoping to pick his brain as I'm also looking for an architect to design a contemporary style home. Can anyone recommend someone? Anyone heard of MC2?

I've been wondering myself. But it doesn't seem like he comes here anymore. Just came in, asked a question, then left.

Thats too bad. I was hoping to pick his brain as I'm also looking for an architect to design a contemporary style home. Can anyone recommend someone? Anyone heard of MC2?

Talk to Russell Hruska who owns Intexure Architects. 713-273-6805. His office is located at 1815 Southmore and he built it as a contemporary live/work space. He is also designing and building several homes on the adjoining land. He is a very good contemporary architect.

You should also talk to Robert Morris. 713-825-5292. Robert is a design/build guy who also teaches "Green" Architecture at UH. He has plenty of references and homes that he can show you. If you want green and contemporary, he is the way to go.

Thanks for that. I will contact both.

Talk to Russell Hruska who owns Intexure Architects. 713-273-6805. His office is located at 1815 Southmore and he built it as a contemporary live/work space. He is also designing and building several homes on the adjoining land. He is a very good contemporary architect.

You should also talk to Robert Morris. 713-825-5292. Robert is a design/build guy who also teaches "Green" Architecture at UH. He has plenty of references and homes that he can show you. If you want green and contemporary, he is the way to go.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to I Need A Builder/Architect For A New Contemporary Style Home

Archived