Need Restaurant Advice

OK. I have lived in Houston almost 18 years, and I can kick myself for not trying out more restaurants than I have. I mean, I find some great places, and tend to stick to them. I do experiment with the Mexican and Tex-Mex scene, and know the restaurant scene in Kemah and Clear Lake very well. But given that my company coming over to visit me this Thanksgiving is my relatives from Mexico City, I really dont think they want to try out more Mexican food in Houston.

So I need help. I know they like Chinese/Asian food, and Italian. So I would like some advice on some known good quality restaurants that are not expensive, given I will probably be paying for about 13 people altogether, two times at least.

The other thing, I want to keep things in cool and interesting areas like the Rice Village and the Montrose. Since they are staying in Uptown, they will probably allready experience some restaurants on thier own in Uptown while they do thier own thanksgiving shopping. So I would like to exclude Uptown, and instead look at Montrose and The Rice Village. I found several Italian places in the Village, but would like some input on the quality of the food there.

So there it is, Chinese/Asian food, and Italian, in either the Rice Village or the montrose. Can anyone give some opinions based on actual experiences?

Thanks.

For Asian food in the village, Nit Noi used to be pretty good. I haven't been there in a while though. It's located on Bolsover. D'amico's on Morningside is also pretty good. Here's their Website

For Italian in Montrose you can't beat Devino's on Alabama. The food is top rate and they serve half portions that are inexpensive. Their wine list is top notch and one of the most reasonably priced in Houston. The only problem is you're not going to get 13 people in there unless you go in the middle of the week. If you don't mind getting outside of Montrose a bit, go to Patronella's on Jackson Hill. Hope this helps.

introduce the family to vietnamese. call ahead to mai's or van loc in midtown so they are ready for you. i've had the owner at mai's order for us (party of 12). i asked that he choose items mai's was known for. everything was brought to our table by a parade of waiters. dinner and drinks were under $300. we had appetizers, six entrees and alcohol. i prefer the food at van loc; however, i'm not sure the service would be so attentive.

mo mong on westheimer (again, call ahead) is mostly vietnamese but less traditional, there are several noodle dishes and a few chinese/american stand-bys. it's a modern setting with uber cool music and great infused martinis.

also, kim son has an extensive menu of vietnamese and chinese dishes, great service and used to large parties.

avoid the chinese buffets, please.