Austin Rail Construction

scarface

I've been hearing and reading that along with Austin's plans for new towers, they're currently undergoing construction for light rail which is supposed to span 30 miles long, with several train stations. The completion date is anticipated for 2008. In addition to that, they will have BRT lines installed as well.

While i'm happy for Austin's progress, i still shake my head in despair that all of this looks like it will come reality before Houston even decides on a set plan for any additional light rail routes. It looks like Austin is about to overtake us in terms of mass transportation options to be second behind Dallas. Anybody else heard of this or is this pure rumor?

well i don't have a source that i 've been able to find on the internet, so i am warning you, it could be rumor. This is buzz that i've heard from construction workers i know and skyscrapercity ( I know what you all are gonna say)!

well i don't have a source that i 've been able to find on the internet, so i am warning you, it could be rumor. This is buzz that i've heard from construction workers i know and skyscrapercity ( I know what you all are gonna say)!

Yeah so I won't say it. <_<

It does sound like a rumor. Come on completion date in '08 we would of heard about it long ago

if we're talking about the same austin i spent 10 years in, there is NO WAY they will have rail in 2 years. Ben White? 183? i'll be SHOCKED if they even OK rail by 2008.

The rail lines would endanger the crickets or lizards or something...

The rail lines would endanger the crickets or lizards or something...

Right? I mean, if any no-name individual starts harping on environmental concerns, its like an automatic death blow to whatever is proposed. Austin's equivalent of Richmond business owners would use it as a crutch to take the focus off of their own selfish motives and put it on to some nonsensical kind of altruistic goal.

Sorry folks, it's not a rumor. CapMetro is going to have diesel LRT line in place from Leander to Downtown Austin with the service starting in 2008.

It will cost next to nothing (in transit terms), mainly because CapMetro owned the abandoned freight railroad that will be used.

Here's the plan's site:

http://allsystemsgo.capmetro.org/default.asp

Aaaah... existing track...

I think I'm going to move to austin... or invest in more real estate there... they're plan seems pretty good... but it is still up for a Nov. 2 vote, so the crickets and lizzards will have their say.

Houston... man... c'mon, people....

Sorry folks, it's not a rumor. CapMetro is going to have diesel LRT line in place from Leander to Downtown Austin with the service starting in 2008.

It will cost next to nothing (in transit terms), mainly because CapMetro owned the abandoned freight railroad that will be used.

Here's the plan's site:

http://allsystemsgo.capmetro.org/default.asp

It will not be LRT, but commuter rail, powered by diesel electric engines. LRT was defeated by the voters. What Austin is doing is similar to the train running between Dallas and Ft. Worth, or the commuter lines being studied for the 290 and Ft. Bend corridors.

I've been hearing and reading that along with Austin's plans for new towers, they're currently undergoing construction for light rail which is supposed to span 30 miles long, with several train stations. The completion date is anticipated for 2008. In addition to that, they will have BRT lines installed as well.

While i'm happy for Austin's progress, i still shake my head in despair that all of this looks like it will come reality before Houston even decides on a set plan for any additional light rail routes. It looks like Austin is about to overtake us in terms of mass transportation options to be second behind Dallas. Anybody else heard of this or is this pure rumor?

They need to do something about transit since their freeway infrastructure is SO far behind where it should be.

This CrapMetro plan seems to bypass some areas that need transit. I guess we'll see. It really looks like it will facilitate further northern sprawl -- not sure that's what they were going for. It's a totally different animal than Houston's trolley car. Of course, that's no reason to feel better about the state of our rail system.

actually, the tracks werent really abandoned. A couple of short line operations(its changed hands a few times) has been using them for almost 15 years now. I know the line from marble falls-burnet-UP junction is well used, there are some quarries it connects up in the hill country including the big granite place where the capitol got its materials from(the lines original purpose). From Where it meets the UP to downtown im not sure if its still used though(well freight, tourism rail its still used). There doesnt seem to be much rail connected industry that would warrant rail service at least from a map, im 100% unfamiliar with that part of town

Also dont forget the hill country flyer tourist trains that originate from cedar park and go from there to burnet and also south to downtown. I wonder what those guys are going to do when the new line is build?

Archived