What Is The Worst Neighborhood In Houston?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm considering buying a house in the Northwest part of Houston (Mangum Manor/Oak Forest area), specifically between Mangum and Antoine. Is this a "safe" area? Does 43rd St flood? What about crime? traffic? Trains? I appreciate any information.

-AV

Caution: Mangum/Antoine area is not good. That is, as far is crime is concerned.

Truthfully, this city has become so widespread & is constantly packing in so many new people it will only get worse. Sad revelation but true.

There is hardly any where in greater Houston that is considered "the good part of town". Rule of thumb to always consider though is never, ever move to any neighborhood that has one large or numerous low rent apts. Thats where troubles lie, they simply bode no good. Nuff said. Avoid living near cheap apts especially if you have children, your kids will be in the same schools with those that live in these apts. Trouble.... -_-

Avoid living near cheap apts especially if you have children, your kids will be in the same schools with those that live in these apts. Trouble.... -_-

I went to school in a border town where most houses were rented as cheaply as Houston's crappy inner-city apartments. Does that make me trouble?

I am moving into Houston this July from Canada to study at University of Houston and what I read in this thread is quite worrying for me.

I have a wife and a baby to be born this May. Living on university funding, I cannot afford a $1200 townhouse. The max I can spend is $600 on a 1-bedroom unit and it seems that will not get me beyond apartments. The advice in this thread again and again has been to AVOID apartment buildings.

I am not quite sure which neighbourhood to check out and where to get safe but relatively cheap accomodation.

It seems every neighbourhood, starting from Gulfton in the Southwest to the Fifth Ward in the East is dangerous. The apartmentratings.com and HPD crime stats websites are not inspiring confidence either.

Any suggestions? Should I look in to the Clear Lake area? Is it safer?

• The title was changed to What Is The Worst Neighborhood In Houston?

Archived