What Is The Worst Neighborhood In Houston?

I'd say Greenspoint has the 'potential' to be a major player in the next 10 years. Their Greater Greenspoint Alliance seems to be regrouping, they are closest development to the airport (Bush), and on all the major freeway into town AND the beltway. I also hear the metro is supposed to be coming there in the next century ... I've always liked the outer/inner feel of the place.

Oh yeah, and if they tear down build a new mall, they even have space to grow out there.

yup, i agree word for word....i just hope they don't let that potential go to waste :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lights up orange at night

I had this when I lived on the east (far east) side - in the new development (at the time) across the street from northshore h.s. Equistar would burn off every now and then and light up my living room and game room. I used to ride my bike next to that plant almost every day going down to where the lake meets the gulf. the exercise probably took days off my life...

as for greenspoint, while i agree that it could be really nice, i don't think it will be. if you look at "demographics" the mall and surrounding area seems to be a large buffer between the great northwest and the not so great northside, with an industrial zone keeping the apartment space spilling up to the airport and new development around it.

i dunno... there is a lot of houston that could be better put together, but it won't happen in most places.

sincerely,

someone in one of those places.

as for greenspoint, while i agree that it could be really nice, i don't think it will be. if you look at "demographics" the mall and surrounding area seems to be a large buffer between the great northwest and the not so great northside, with an industrial zone keeping the apartment space spilling up to the airport and new development around it.

i dunno... there is a lot of houston that could be better put together, but it won't happen in most places.

Very true, indeed.

People must or do realize that "reputation" is all it takes to drive people, developers, etc. away. It's too much of a liability. I could add more but its tiring. Greenspoint sparkled for that short time and it fizzled away quick. If you saw from beginning, decline to end you and others would know. Majority of people I knew in that area when it was new around 1980-82 fled and did not look back.

I still avoid it like the plague. I'm done :(:D

I lived near Greenspoint and if you look at the area it has/had the potential to really be something...as long as the airport is around the area won't drastically suffer...the overbuilding of apartments will always haunt them

but with improved access to 1960 via Imperial Valley coming soon the area could take off modestly if they develop it right...

• 1 month later...

I work off of Aldine Bender, its a real shame, there are some really nice houses on large lots most are still kept up nicely. But the closer you get to 59 the worse off you are. Once again there are low income apartments housing mostly african and latino based people. The worst apartment complex is known as "hav-a-rock" based on the given name Haverstock. I dont think there is 1 hard working person in the whole place. An armed gaurd is at the main gate 24 hrs, if you dont live there or have business with someone that does you can not enter. I see ambulances with people on stretchers a couple times a month, the convenience store and strip center next to the complex are riddled with drug dealers, hookers, and junkies. The strip center has a hard time keeping decent customers due to the criminal activities that surround them. If you cross over 59 you run in to a more latino portion on Old Humble road, yet again in the roach motel apartments. Cheap housing, hot tempers, drugs, gangs, all run together. Its a real shame that our neighborhoods are turning into war zones.

I dont think there is anything we can do to make these places safe without spreading the problem somewhere else. Its like putting a band aid on a shot gun wound... Theres always more blood.

• 2 months later...

My list by street names/area:

1. Crosstimbers near I-45 - hookers and drug dealing out in the open at all hours of the day.

2. Telephone road south of 610 - gang members riding around in cars all hours of the day, "massage" joints on each corner, and streetwalkers/crack dealers.

3. US HWY 59 South from Westpark to Bissonett - lots of drug activity, many various gangs, tons of slum apartments, prostitution out of control, tons of trashy motels by the freeway

These stand out in my mind. Other areas I have been to around Scott St./Yellowstone Rd. are rough but as others have said the homeowners are good people but jackasses and thugs ruin it for everyone. They should just go vigilante Charles Bronson style and clean house.

• 3 months later...
We call them strippers. They're everywhere.

Got that right!

After thinking about the topic title, it seems we have several "worst" hoods in Houston. So to answer the question there is not just one worst nabe. There should be a poll to see what people would suggest to change that. No one will agree as usual. :D

• 6 months later...
Where would I find high quality streetwalkers in the Houston area? >:)

Usually in Montrose, it's like a surprise each time, you never know what gender you really are going to take home! :lol:

Other than that, Montrose is hit of miss, but streetwalkers are only a night time thing, and for the most part harmless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acres_Homes,_Houston,_Texas

Located in the northwest portion of the city, the area is loosely bound by Pinemont Road to the south, North Shepherd Drive to the East, Gulf Bank to the north, and the city limits to the west.

It is where a serial killer recently murdered multiple women.

Don't forget the Desoto area on Antoine from Tidwell to Little York in NW Houston.

Usually in Montrose, it's like a surprise each time, you never know what gender you really are going to take home! :lol:

Other than that, Montrose is hit of miss, but streetwalkers are only a night time thing, and for the most part harmless.

I used to work with a guy whose neighbor was shot in the chest in his townhome's garage by a streetwalker in the Montrose area. It was a robbery and the victim apparently didn't really want to hand over the car keys.

Also, I've noticed from one of the crime mapping websites in the past that Montrose seems to have a disproportionate number of reported rapes. It doesn't do particularly well in several other categories, either. I'm not really all that keen on its crime record. I'd rather stick with Washington Avenue if I were at all into the urban yuppie scene.

Located in the northwest portion of the city, the area is loosely bound by Pinemont Road to the south, North Shepherd Drive to the East, Gulf Bank to the north, and the city limits to the west.

It is where a serial killer recently murdered multiple women.

Awesome, I thought that area looked sketchy when I was riding my bike around there. I like biking and running through bad parts of town, it is great motivation to keep going even if I am tired and want to stop.

Amazing, I've lived in three of the worst areas mentioned and have walked others at night numerous times (including the notorious Fondren SW) and somehow I am still alive. Do you think you may be over exaggerating JUST a because of the sheer concentration of Candians and supposed "illegals."

I teach in that area and it was hard to recruit teachers to those feeder schools. Several years ago, the district had to give a $2000 combat pay for any teacher who was willing to work at those campuses. The area has a high concentration of low-rent apartments. It leads to more crime per square feet.

The areas mentioned are bad news, but I do take offense to them being compared to a warzone and if I were a member of the military, I'd gladly smash your face in with the butt of my rifle for comparing Fondren SW to a war zone comparable to that of Iraq or Bsonia. Ask any servicemember what they'd rather be doing; shooing Tre and 'nem away from the pool or wondering if they are going to get sniped or blown out of their vehicle in some sandy outpost and they'd gladly say the former. It's very telling though that predominantly minority neighborhoods are compared to active warzones. Are they the enemy?

I teach in that area and it was hard to recruit teachers to those feeder schools. Several years ago, the district had to give a $2000 combat pay for any teacher who was willing to work at those campuses. The area has a high concentration of low-rent apartments. It leads to more crime per square feet.

lol. combat pay..

Oh, and "crime per square foot".. Who's keeping those stats?

Amazing, I've lived in three of the worst areas mentioned and have walked others at night numerous times (including the notorious Fondren SW) and somehow I am still alive. Do you think you may be over exaggerating JUST a because of the sheer concentration of Canadians and supposed "illegals."

God, if you're not black, then you might have just won the most bigoted post of the year award. Canadians? Seriously?

lol. combat pay..

Oh, and "crime per square foot".. Who's keeping those stats?

God, if you're not black, then you might have just won the most bigoted post of the year award. Canadians? Seriously?

I am black, but I must keep to the barely contained bigoted tone of this thread.

Here is an interesting website:

http://www.ericcarlson.net/crimestats/murder2007.html

It shows the city map location of all the murders in 2007.

It seems most of the murders happen in downtown, SW Sharpstown/Westwood area, E Bellfort area

That's only because the inner loop neighborhoods are too poor to afford bullets.

This economy is really hitting home. I saw rival gangs throwing pine cones at each other in my neighborhood last week. :P

• 2 months later...

I've lived in Fondren Southwest and also worked around the Gulfton/Furnace area back in the late 90s. Not sure about it now, but these two areas were pretty bad. I was mugged at Fondren Southwest area. I lived in a complex right off of Bob White Blvd.

The best place that i have lived was West Memorial area near BP Amoco . I also stayed at a friend's place in River Oaks for some time, though River Oaks was boring.

• 5 months later...

I'm considering buying a house in the Northwest part of Houston (Mangum Manor/Oak Forest area), specifically between Mangum and Antoine. Is this a "safe" area? Does 43rd St flood? What about crime? traffic? Trains? I appreciate any information.

-AV

Archived