In the need of some advice...

ricco67

Up until about a month ago I was a cable man. But TWC has seriously dropped the ball with their HD-DVR. It locks up, records the wrong stuff, automatically erases some things randomly, & isn't smart about delayed programming.

Like I said, I'm a cable kinda guy - always have been. But here lately the wife & I have been debating over satellite. I see the only cons to satellite being poor reception in really bad weather (which cable has done the same here in Houston), and not having the cable modem feature (which has also been dropping out at random times daily).

The major pro to HD-DVR with TWC is that you don't pay anything for the HD-DVR box. With satellite, you'll have to pay for equipment up front and run the risk of it becoming antiquated. So if money is no object, I'm going to recomment the dish. I would check that other thread we were all in about a month ago debating TWC verus DirectTV to get more details on satellite.

Edited by Jeebus

Jeebus,

THIS is the part where I think I might be able to help.

The main reason why I wish to keep TIVO instead of the cable supplied DVR are for the main reasons that you just described. It's just not as reliable as TIVO is.

It's set to record everything I watch on a regular basis (in case I have something come up, like an astros game that I go to or whatever) and when I get home, I just catch up to it.

On those slow TV nights, I can just go what it had recorded for me what it THINKS I might like and be damned if it's not right on the money! I keep various movies on there that I like to watch on a slow day (or if they're showing too many "Mythbusters" reruns).

The excellent part is if there is a change in the schedule (i.e. presidential interruption), it'll take that into account.

I have an older version that just records 25 hrs worth of video and needs a phone line with a lifetime subscription. (meaning, I don't have to pay TIVO a single thing for the life of the machine)

I was going to go ahead and upgrade the Hard Drive to record up to 150 hours of Video when the TV thing came up.

The newer versions of TIVO can be remotely programmed online if you find something interesting you wish to watch but can't make it home and the TV schedule (from what I understand) is constantly being updated since it can be hooked up through your broadband network.

My only reservation is that TIVO no longer offers the lifetime subscription on it's newer models, so I have to get on Ebay to see if I can find one and then upgrade that bad boy.

Regular TIVO prices are about 10 bucks a month, which is about the same as the "rental" on a TWC DVR when you include all the tax and whatnot.

Technology is changing. I would attempt to sell your TiVo now and get as much money for it as you can before its completely outdated. Everyday you don't sell it, that many more people are buying an HDTV that would have no use for a 4:3 TiVo.

I would rather have the new one that can be programmed online, and record in HD. What television service are you going to go with? Cable or Satellite?

Jeebees, this is the last on this inane thread, but I will say this, you are the king of semantics!

Call my HDTV a computer monitor if you wantk, but to the rest of the world, its in fact an HDTV.

BTW, if you have an HDTV, you might be better of with TWC as they don't compress their HD signals as much as satellite. Of course jeebeez can't see the difference with his low rez EDTV, but you other guys that have real HDTVs/Computer monitors, can see the difference. Time Warner DVR has worked well for me. Watching HD movies from HBO is incredible. Before you invest in TiVo just give TWC DVR a shot, there is no year long subscription and there is no penalty for terminatin early so I would recommend getting it for at least a month.

And note to jeebeez about your friends that said they can't see the difference btw your EDTV and their HDTV, they were just trying to be nice to you, as everyone here can see what a totally nutter you are.

For all you guys who think EDTV and HDTV would look the same, go to any electronic store and compare them side to side, you can clearly see the difference.

Call my HDTV a computer monitor if you wantk, but to the rest of the world, its in fact an HDTV.

Bestbuy would seem to think different. Taken from the exact link you provided earlier in thread:

Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD HD Monitor

Model: LVM-42w2

Embrace the stunning and vivid clarity of high-definition programming and gaming with this LCD monitor that doubles as a computer monitor and a high-definition TV (requires connection to HD cable box, satellite or multimedia PC).

And.. I like this line the best, as its in bold print to warn potential buyers:

Product Information:

Note: HD-ready TV monitor only; external tuner required for HD and conventional TV viewing

Wow, the exact site you bought your monitor from even agrees with me. I guess you're just smarter than copy writers at Bestbuy too huh? Remember, at TV has to have a TV tuner in it. Does your "HDTV" have a TV tuner in it? I think not. Therefore, logic dictates that you don't infact have a tv, but rather a monitor.

You've more than proven yourself ignorant by calling EDTV analog, and by inferring that a TV can be a TV even if it doesn't have a TV tuner. You've yet to counter anything I've posted with a reference to factual information. You are smart to make that your last post, as you're only embarrassing yourself & exposing your lack of knowledge with every new reply you post.

Your ego is bruised, just give up. :)

Edited by Jeebus

Bestbuy would seem to think different. Taken from the exact link you provided earlier in thread:

And.. I like this line the best, as its in bold print to warn potential buyers:

Wow, the exact site you bought your monitor from even agrees with me. I guess you're just smarter than copy writers at Bestbuy too huh? Remember, at TV has to have a TV tuner in it. Does your "HDTV" have a TV tuner in it? I think not. Therefore, logic dictates that you don't infact have a tv, but rather a monitor.

You've more than proven yourself ignorant by calling EDTV analog, and by inferring that a TV can be a TV even if it doesn't have a TV tuner. You've yet to counter anything I've posted with a reference to factual information. You are smart to make that your last post, as you're only embarrassing yourself & exposing your lack of knowledge with every new reply you post.

Your ego is bruised, just give up. :)

i'm confused what you mean, do you think my hdtv doesn't have a built in tv tuner? thats how i get hd channels with an antenna!

edited to note that i see you were talking about his specific model. but i don't want you to give the impression that all hdtv's don't have built in tuners in fact the opposite is true, most of them do.

Edited by westguy76

back to the original question, unless you want me to whip mine out and you want to measure TV's because i don't think anyone wants to go there,

i have had a SDtivo with my direct-tv for almost three years now, and i just bought a widescreen hdtv a month and a half ago. i could not live without tivo now. i am sure some of you know how i feel if you have it. i do not want to pony up the 400 bones and extra money monthly to lease a new hd-tivo box. although that would be sweet i am not ready for that commitment.

i would tell you ricco, if you buy a tv with a built in hd tuner, most of them have it. And i would reccomend the sony hd-tv's by the way. a lot of people are not aware you can get stunning hd content witha standard analouge antenna or even rabbit ears. go to antennaweb.org and check it out.

this hd content as well as the great quality dvd watching is plenty to keep me content right now with my hd-tv.

recently i have seen the world cup in HD, the NBA finals, the nhl finals, and numerous prime time shows.

i hope i have answered some of your questions

well, you guys helped me determine that perhaps it would be best to just get one of the newer TIVO's that can record in HDTV, then and just deal with the monthly service.

I've also learned (and was something I was seriously debating) that the TWC DVR is unreliable, and from what I can tell, mildly schitzophrentic.

So I guess the setup I'll buy is a 37-42" HDTV with a TIVO that will record in HDTV, unfortunately, looking at the site, it doesn't offer one that will record in HDTV, so I will just have to buy an upgraded TIVO and hopefully they will come out with one in a year or so.

So I guess the setup I'll buy is a 37-42" HDTV with a TIVO that will record in HDTV, unfortunately, looking at the site, it doesn't offer one that will record in HDTV, so I will just have to buy an upgraded TIVO and hopefully they will come out with one in a year or so.

I remember this being mentioned in the other thread (no HD-DVR for TiVo yet), but I do recall someone mentioning that DirectTV offers their own HD-DVR. You might want to look into that.

i'm confused what you mean, do you think my hdtv doesn't have a built in tv tuner? thats how i get hd channels with an antenna!

edited to note that i see you were talking about his specific model. but i don't want you to give the impression that all hdtv's don't have built in tuners in fact the opposite is true, most of them do.

Yes, Texas911 has been confused this entire thread about whether he really has a tv or just a monitor. You're also correct that most models are infact TV's with TV Tuners for terrestrial broadcasts as well. My only advice is that you get a TV and not a monitor so that you'll always have the option of over-the-air broadcasts from the big networks, if you ever decide to cancel your cable or satellite subscription. In Texas911's case, he will ALWAYS have to have a subscription service to watch a broadcast on his "tv".

i would reccomend the sony hd-tv's by the way.

The only thing I didn't like about Sony last winter when I bought mine (a Samsung) was the price. They were on average 20% more at the time. I felt like I was paying for the Sony name more than the product. I ultimately went with Samsung because of the features, number of simultaneous video inputs, the look & design, and the price.

At the time, Panasonics were the top rated plasmas. I don't know about know however.

Well, again I don't know what my future options for getting TV will be and the TIVO will be more flexible.

I don't really want to commit to a Video delivery system just so I can get the best DVR. Probably for now, I'll just get a series 2 TIVO and as soon as they come out with an HDTV TIVO, I'll just get that one.

So I'm to assume that if I just get a 4:3 TIVO will be okay to play on a widescreen?

I also realize that you're able to get the HDTV signal over the air, but I'm not sure what kind of reception I can get with it. If I get a decent reception, I can just flip off TWC that they will not dip into my pocket further!

For the record: I have a 25 hr lifetime TIVO that I can easily sell, but looks like I'll have to shell out some bucks for the series2 with lifetime as well. So I figure JUST to upgrade my system with TV, TIVO, and a new DVD (the old one is crap), will run me about $5000.

Oy Vey.

So I'm to assume that if I just get a 4:3 TIVO will be okay to play on a widescreen?

Yes, your HDTV will have a menu you feature that will let you select from 16:9, 4:3, panarama (a special 4:3 to 16:9 stretch that preserves the quality of the frame in the center by gradually stretching more of the picture as it leads away to the edges. This gives the best faux-widescreen picture), & zoom. You'll be able to watch all your shows in your choice of 4:3 standard or 16:9 widescreen.

My only advice is that if you watch everything in 4:3, make sure your tv comes with tools to prevent and repair burn-in. Otherwise you'll have those black matte bars forever after just a few months. If you set your screen to 16:9 panarama, and watch your 4:3 that way, then you should have no worries.

I also realize that you're able to get the HDTV signal over the air, but I'm not sure what kind of reception I can get with it. If I get a decent reception, I can just flip off TWC that they will not dip into my pocket further!

This is an engenious solution! The only channels you won't be able to get in HD this way will be Discovery, ESPN, TNT. Fox Sports Southwest - Astro Game Rebroadcasts, & premium movie channels.

I can tell you now what you'll be missing on each of the three basic channels:

Discovery HD - Nature Shows & American Chopper (this is all they seem to play in a continuous loop)

ESPN - Not needed unless you wanted to catch a particular sporting event in HD. All the major events are covered by the networks in HD now anyway (Footbal, Baseball, Basketball, Olympics, Golf, Tennis, etc..)

TNT - These are some sneaky bastards. None of TNT's HD content is actually HD. All they've done is stretch their 4:3 content, and then put a 16:9 "You're watching TNT-HD" banner on the screen!

Well, the thing is that while I do like watching the history channel and such, I only have basic cable, I dont' watch enough TV (believe it or not) to justify also watching HBO, Showtime and such. But I don't want to pay extra JUST to watch HDTV content (what is it? another 10 a month, plus taxes and such?) and I don't think it's worth that much.

so I'll keep the basic cable, but I'll watch HDTV over the air. <flips off TWC>

In Texas911's case, he will ALWAYS have to have a subscription service to watch a broadcast on his "tv".

Well since I haven't used over the air tuning in 15 years, I don't think that will be a problem. As the majority of HDTV buyers probably will have subscription services because why pony up huge amounts of money for 3 HD Channels?

Jeebus, man you should run for office. As nothing sticks to you.

BTW, I've had zero problems with my TWC DVR, nothing like what jeebus has posted. Don't take his word as gospel, like he does.

Anyone who touts EDTV is simply doing you a disservice.

Well since I haven't used over the air tuning in 15 years, I don't think that will be a problem. As the majority of HDTV buyers probably will have subscription services because why pony up huge amounts of money for 3 HD Channels?
I guess all the other board members who talked about using over-the-antennas in the other thread are morons then for buying into such a rip-off.
BTW, I've had zero problems with my TWC DVR, nothing like what jeebus has posted. Don't take his word as gospel, like he does.
Well, then you're lucky. I know I'm not the only one though because when I've called to complain they have apologized stating that they don't know why the HD-DVR's are locking up, but that its not an isolated incident. I've witnessed the same HD-DVR lock up on a 60" Toshiba DLP 1080i HDTV, so you can't use the arguement that it must be that I have an EDTV either.

Perhaps if you had any of the movie channels and then tried to use the guide to navigate through them, you would experience what the rest of TWC HD-DVR, premium movie channel customers have experienced.

Anyone who touts EDTV is simply doing you a disservice.
Anyone who blindly states that EDTV is analog, that EDTV can't display HD programming, that TV's are TV's whether they come with the needed internal parts to qualify as a TV, that HDMI is "required" to view HD programming, or someone who continually attempts to throw insults instead of factual information about a subject is obviously uneducated in the subject.

I thought you weren't gonna post anymore? All your doing is making the bruise bigger. Seriously, I can do this until the end of time. The only way you'll ever "own" me, is by actually doing a little research, and then posting some links to factual, proven information. Until then, your ego is mine to pummel. :)

so I'll keep the basic cable, but I'll watch HDTV over the air. <flips off TWC>

Sounds like a prety good plan to me. You'll save some money, and you'll be able to sit back and wait for the technology to come to you.

Just make sure you don't buy a monitor, in lieu of an actual tv! :P

Edited by Jeebus

that EDTV can't display HD programming,
Dude you are so blind, literally. EDTV can't show 1080i IN 1080i, it down converts it to 480p which isn't HD! Can you accept that as fact? Heck even a standard tv can "show" HD programing but it won't be HD quality. Why can't you understand this simple simple fact? 480P is not HD. What you're viewing on your EDTV is not an HD quality picture, it throws away more than half of the information to downgrade it to EDTV standards!
that HDMI is "required" to view HD programming

Yes, on a real HDTV that can display a full resolution of 1080 you'll need HDMI with the copy protection enabled. Of course your EDTV doesn't care about 1080 copy protection because its downgrading the picture into 480! The movie companies don't care about lowly 480p! Which is your EDTV.

I don't know how much simpler I can try and convey this simple fact. Don't try go give wrong advice.

BTW, TWC DVR, even if you have problems with it, just turn it in and they'll replace it for you. At $7/month that's a pretty good deal. How much is it to buy a Tivo setup?

Again, who is going to spend thousands of dollars on a fancy new HDTV and not get subcription service to take full advantage of it? Might as well get a regular TV or EDTV.

You must feel really sorry for being duped into buying EDTV that you have to try and convice everyone that they don't need HDTV!

I'm laughing at you the whole time. But want to give real advice to people who are asking.

Dude you are so blind, literally. EDTV can't show 1080i IN 1080i, it down converts it to 480p which isn't HD! Can you accept that as fact? Heck even a standard tv can "show" HD programing but it won't be HD quality. Why can't you understand this simple simple fact? 480P is not HD. What you're viewing on your EDTV is not an HD quality picture, it throws away more than half of the information to downgrade it to EDTV standards!
Ummmmm.... Yes. I said this already. Check post number 11 for the links I posted that describe this process. Then go to post 20 where I actually type it out in bold print for you.

I'm confused. Are you actually trying to use the facts I provided earlier, against me, to prove your point that I debunked with these same very facts? How is this logically possible? :huh:

Yes, on a real HDTV that can display a full resolution of 1080 you'll need HDMI with the copy protection enabled. Of course your EDTV doesn't care about 1080 copy protection because its downgrading the picture into 480! The movie companies don't care about lowly 480p! Which is your EDTV.
Yes, I agree. What's the arguement here? My point is that you don't need HDMI to view 1080i. If this were not true, then I couldn't view any of the available 1080i broadcast HD channels on my EDTV. I've never tried to argue at what resolution I'm watching them in. I figured it was pretty ovbious seeing as I'm self-proclaiming that I own a 480p EDTV.
I don't know how much simpler I can try and convey this simple fact. Don't try go give wrong advice.
Again, I'm waiting for you to actually dispell any of my advice - or anything I've typed here - with any sort of subjective factual information.
BTW, TWC DVR, even if you have problems with it, just turn it in and they'll replace it for you.
Good luck with that. I'm sure you'll be one of the many that believe the TWC cable repairman when he replaces your HD-DVR box - telling you that it was locking up due to corrupt software. What you don't know is that it's not the DVR, but the programming coming out of TWC.
Again, who is going to spend thousands of dollars on a fancy new HDTV and not get subcription service to take full advantage of it? Might as well get a regular TV or EDTV.
I can think of a few million who live where there is no cable service available & don't wish to have satellite. Then there are the few million that don't rely on a subscription television service to make it through the day. Then there are the very same HAIF members that talked about it in another thread. There is even Ricco (scroll up a few posts.. While you were so busy trying to insult me, we were having a real conversation - like what grown-ups do).
I'm laughing at you the whole time. But want to give real advice to people who are asking.
So give out some real advice. In between all your incoherent ramblings I found time to give some. All you've done is try to convince myself and this board that there's no need to buy a TV when a computer monitor will do everything you ever need because it has an HDMI port & is 1080p. Who is that gonna help? Really.. who?

Oh, and I'm glad you're laughing. If you were seriously trying to debate this issue with me it would just be pathetic. :)

Edited by Jeebus

Whatever you win. The gospel according to jeebus.

I just reread the entire thread and it seems you have a problem with people pointing out that EDTV isn't a wise choice to buy. This must be real important to you. Buyer's remorse?

I go on enjoying my 42inch computer monitor that displays the full 1080 HDTV signal, you enjoy your low rez EDTV.

Whatever you win. The gospel according to jeebus.

I just reread the entire thread and it seems you have a problem with people pointing out that EDTV isn't a wise choice to buy.

I don't have a problem with anyone who can reasonably point out the cons to EDTV. The only person besides me who has said anything about EDTV was you, and you butchered the facts. You opened yourself for a debate you could not win by spewing untruthful things about the subject. If you had simply stated the pros & cons to 1080p vs 480p, then nothing would have happened. Instead you made it a point to try and prove me "wrong" over something that I had factually stated, and provided evidence for.
Buyer's remorse?
I don't know, you tell me. You're the one who bought a 42" computer monitor! :P

Now, lets open the floor back up to anyone who has real questions or wants to discuss the subject like an adult.

Edited by Jeebus

I have multiple HDTV's and by far, my favorite is my 30" Dell LCD. LCD's provide for much brighter and crisper pictures than projection, rear projection or even plasma. The blacks aren't as true, but the picture, overall, is much better.

I highly suggest LCD, and Dell makes a great one for a decent price.

As for TiVO's. I have an DirecTV HD TiVO and I love it. I can record two HD programs while watching another that is already recorded. I don't think I'd ever buy an NON integrated DVR. Standalones make no sense to me.

If you have cable, get a DVR which has an integrated cable tuner in it so you dont sacrifice any quality or services (such as on demand or interactive services).

DirecTV is about to change their DVR and HD formats, so my HDTiVO will be defunct soon, but they said they'd replace it at a discount for me (thank! I just spent $500 6 months ago on it!).

Integrated DVR/Receivers with LCDs is the way to go.

This was just as funny as the Dallas mall forum! I will put in my 2 cents worth though.

I've been very happy with my LG LCD HDTV! LOTS of features for a reasonable price, TV Guide included. I"ve also recently been utilizing the feature where you can insert memory cards into the TV to view pics. Comes in handy when lots of people are at a party and you can look at pics in your living room instead of showing them on a computer.

Also, those that say there is no difference between the new HD-DVD formats vs. the old standards is mistaken. There is just no way that a standard DVD player can "increase" the resolution to near HD standards.

I've always had bad experiences with intergrated devices and have chosen to stay away from them for years and will probably continue to do so.

The DirecTV TIVO may be great, but it's only if you get Direct TV and I don't know if I want to go that route, therefore, I'd like a seperate componant that's independent of cable and dish services.

While this may not seem all that logical, it's just a way for me to allow myself to control when I spend what. I don't want TWC to get TOO much of my money, and the same thing goes with Direct TV if I decide to go that route. Also, If I switch services for whatever reason, I don't want to give up the equipment to do so.

Just for the record, is DirectTV & TiVo still marketing together, or has DirecTV pushed away so they can market their own DVR?

Musicman - Does your tv have multiple ports for all types of memory cards? Thats a cool feature I wish I had for impromtu party moments.

I understand you wanting flexibility, but figure out which company you want to go with, pick one, and go with them. Then go with integrated for superior quality and services.

Most people don't switch between providers often. It is pointless. Pick one and go.

As of this year, DirecTV and TiVO have parted ways. DirecTV will be marketing it's own device in the next few months (September was the last I heard). We shall see.