Best Chinese food?

Guest Marty

Several years ago my friend's would go to a place called China Border on the North Freeway south of Greenspoint every day for at least 4 mouths. "Overkill :P " I ate there twice but i cannot remember if i liked it or not.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Several years ago my friend's would go to a place called China Border on the North Freeway south of Greenspoint every day for at least 4 mouths. "Overkill :P " I ate there twice but i cannot remember if i liked it or not.

Naw, that place is like a Jack in the box kind of restaraunt. The other ones in Galveston & over here by Westchase- plain old stuff. I think what everyone is trying to mention the ones that really stand out. If I go to China Border its because I am starving and no option near by. :( They have good won-ton though! Mnmmm. :)

• 4 months later...
So, what's the word on 888 in Clear Lake?

My aunt says that it is very good as Chinese places go, but then her basis for comparison is the Clear Lake / League City area, so the next best place is Sezchuan Garden #2.

By coincidence, if things go according to schedule, that's where I'm going to have lunch tomorrow. Will report back (if things went). ...but as of this moment, a borrowed friend's truck's battery died, I went and got a replacement, but on returning, I seem to have broke the latch that opens the hood, so I'm basically screwed for transportation and marooned away from home (and business attire) in east Houston. I have less than eight hours to rectify the situation and get it together before lunch plans--among other things--are cancelled.

I've been trying to find a decent chinese joint near this area. The only other one that I heard about that I haven't had a chance to visit is the one by the Moulon rouge on Monroe.
You must be talking about Lam's. My family used to eat there somewhat frequently when I was a kid. For my first several visits, I was afraid to try any of that "weird-looking food", but eventually I figured out that it was pretty good stuff.

Haven't been there in years. Drove past it some time back, and while the place never did have much curb appeal, the years have not been kind. I don't think it'll be featured in Zagat anytime soon.

ricco67, did you ever pay them a visit?

Do we know exactly where this will be? The only thing that I can see that has big enough sqare footage on El Camino at Bay Area is the former Barney's Billiards - and there is no activity going on in there at all.

yep barney's is the place from what i was told.

she said oct/nov last time i spoke with her.

It's been open since at least that time last year. Lunch there today was excellent for the value, surpassing the quality of the original albeit with a seemingly more Americanized presentation. Although the menu was familiar, the experience was more like a Pei Wei than what I'd expect at the Gulfgate 888.

Again, for the dollar for dollar value, it can't be beat.

It's been open since at least that time last year. Lunch there today was excellent for the value, surpassing the quality of the original albeit with a seemingly more Americanized presentation. Although the menu was familiar, the experience was more like a Pei Wei than what I'd expect at the Gulfgate 888.

Again, for the dollar for dollar value, it can't be beat.

this is a new one in clear lake proper

I second Shanghai River...very very good!!

My favorite of all time is North China on Kingsride and my second fave would have to be Mencius Hunan in Kingwood.

Best dim sum is Imperial Palace!

I LOVE SHANGHAI RIVER!!! Sandy the owner is the nicest woman. My family has been going there FOREVER. We've even had Christmas eve dinner there with a huge platter of Chinese Peking Duck. So good. I like the hot, steamed wash cloths and the candied walnuts.

Someone else mentioned Cafe Chino-also good.

Another really good, clean and not very expensive place is Panda Garden on Weslayan and they also have another location which I haven't been to. Their food is awesome.

I LOVE SHANGHAI RIVER!!! Sandy the owner is the nicest woman. My family has been going there FOREVER. We've even had Christmas eve dinner there with a huge platter of Chinese Peking Duck. So good. I like the hot, steamed wash cloths and the candied walnuts.

Another really good, clean and not very expensive place is Panda Garden on Weslayan and they also have another location which I haven't been to. Their food is awesome.

There you are ArchPRGirl!

We thought you went to China to bring us back some fresh Peking Duck!?

Benvenuto/welcome back to the Knights of the round table. :)

There you are ArchPRGirl!

We thought you went to China to bring us back some fresh Peking Duck!?

Benvenuto/welcome back to the Knights of the round table. :)

Haha! Thanks. Not China, Spain for paella. But I also created a new schedule for myself which is great. I don't have to sit in the office as much and I get more done (since I'm not on HAIF lol). I miss arguing with some of these guys:) What have I missed?

Haha! Thanks. Not China, Spain for paella. But I also created a new schedule for myself which is great. I don't have to sit in the office as much and I get more done (since I'm not on HAIF lol). I miss arguing with some of these guys:) What have I missed?

Just the same old Jerry Springer guests that's all! Chairs being thrown around and people in choke holds to get their point across. Very high drama. Nominated for 10 Emmy's and 14 Golden Globes for most dramatic forum ever! We have the usual... scientists, therapists, palm readers, comedians, actors, politicians, juggler's and especially intellectuals. Didn't think a monitor could hold so much arrogance & inflated ego's did you?

Hope you have your boxing gloves handy.

Get ready to rumble!!!!!! :)

Do we know exactly where this will be? The only thing that I can see that has big enough sqare footage on El Camino at Bay Area is the former Barney's Billiards - and there is no activity going on in there at all.

i just saw bin (or however you spell it), the owner and he said that they are having a problem with the city and now they are not sure that the ex-barney's building will be able to be modified to meet their necessary specs. they may need to build from scratch. BTW, it seems prices have gone up overnight. seems most went up a dollar or so. i saw that their most expensive dish went from 14.95 to 18.95 but i'd say that is still a great price. i had sizzling tofu off of the chinese menu and it was the same price. it was just packed this evening with asians.

Shanghai River is the first place I ever had Peking Duck. I thought, where has this been all my life? LOL! My roommate at the time and I would get that with some fried rice to cure our hangovers. Ah, those were the days!!

• 1 year later...

Can anyone recommend good Chinese Delivery in Montrose?

When i lived in Uptown, there was a place off Long Point, I think, that was great... Wish I could remember their name. All their dinners came with shrimp fried rice instead of regular fried rice. Their dinners came with fried shrimp, cheese puffs, eggrolls... and their prices were still much more reasonable than the few places I've tried in montrose.

The only name i can remember of those I've tried is Montrose Chinese Restaurant... food was so-so, price was high, and it didnt come with the extras I was used to.

Good recommendations anyone ???

Archived