Should you ever have to pay for vandalism?

Vandalism question  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should you pay a fine for having graffiti on your walls?

• Yes
    • No

I find this to truly be an injustice. Making the victims PAY for someone else's crime is just Ludicrous. If you get the taggers who get caught be the ones that have to PAY for someone else to professionally paint the building that the offense occurred on, I guarantee the rate of that crime will drop by HALF with 6 months.

I'm torn on this ordinance. I dislike the City's fining the non-responsible party to the crime but not removing graffiti within 10 days is pretty inexusable, unless you're an absentee owner.

many of the city's properties have graffitti on them....we'll see if they magically get cleaned up.

many of the city's properties have graffitti on them....we'll see if they magically get cleaned up.

I heard that, i like to see the city practice what it preaches.

• 1 month later...

Who determines what is and what is not graffiti? If someone paints a mural on his building, does he need to defend it against the graffiti police?

Rather than paying a fine, I'd be tempted to respond to the city by saying "I paid someone to paint that. It's art, dammit!"

Who determines what is and what is not graffiti? If someone paints a mural on his building, does he need to defend it against the graffiti police?

Rather than paying a fine, I'd be tempted to respond to the city by saying "I paid someone to paint that. It's art, dammit!"

a houston artist phillip perez, i think was arrested earlier this week on this charge. he was the teacher of an art class.

Archived