Opinions on suburbs between Inner Loop and Beltway 8

sabasushi

Hiya, folks.....my husband and I just moved to Houston from Colorado (yes, I know....we are crazy, or at least our Colorado friends and relatives think so :-) ). We're currently renting an apartment in Braeswood Place so we can get to know Houston better and wait for our Colorado home to get sold (anyone wanna buy a nice house in Westminster, Colorado? ;-) )

Anyway, as I said, we're getting to know Houston, and figuring out where we might like to buy our next home. We're just a "DINK" (i.e., a couple with no kids -- the human offspring kind, anyway) so we're looking at either buying a townhouse in the Inner Loop, or a house outside the Inner Loop but still inside the Beltway 8, for $250k or less. I know there are tons of houses for under $250k, but we're still getting to know Houston.

We have a few requirements that are probably a bit weird. For example, we don't care about schools -- the last time I checked, schools don't accept kids that wear fur suits and use litterboxes, anyway. :-) But we do want to be within walking distance of bus lines and grocery stores -- I can't drive due to a vision problem. Another requirement is that we'd like to be near many good restaurants -- we don't want to drive 30 miles jsut to go to a decent restaurant. (I don't consider flea-market-on-wall restaurants like Chili and Applebee's *real* restaurants, ya know?) Also, after living in a relatively tree-less state for 30 years, I'd like to live somewhere with a *LOT* of trees, especially mature trees.

Due to the reasons above, we're looking at areas not too far from the west Inner Loop and Galleria areas, between the Inner Loop and Beltway 8. We're not interested in living "too faw away" like Sugarland and Katy -- they're a bit too "suburby" for my tastes.

However, I do have a concern about crime -- I'm under the impression that some places in the target areas I'm looking at have crime problems like Sharpstown. Am I mistaken? I realize that Houston can have "iffy" areas right next to really nice areas and that it has relatively high property crime, but I'd like to know about areas that are relatively safe -- that is, areas where I can walk in broad daylight without worrying about being mugged or drive-by shootings.

Thanks in advance for any replies I may get.

We have a few requirements that are probably a bit weird. But we do want to be within walking distance of bus lines and grocery stores -- I can't drive due to a vision problem. Another requirement is that we'd like to be near many good restaurants -- we don't want to drive 30 miles jsut to go to a decent restaurant. (I don't consider flea-market-on-wall restaurants like Chili and Applebee's *real* restaurants, ya know?) Also, after living in a relatively tree-less state for 30 years, I'd like to live somewhere with a *LOT* of trees, especially mature trees.

I know to others in this forum I'll come off sounding like a broken record but if you want trees, I'd look at Garden Oaks and Oak Forest bordering the N. Loop-Oaks being the key word here. They are safe neighborhoods but ready bus transit is iffy as it is anywhere outside the loop. As far as restaurants go, there are alot of great ones accessable without the use of a freeway-in the Heights, Downtown, Montrose...

In any event welcome to Houston and to our humble little forum. I'm sure you'll get a useful ear-full from our members.

B)

We have a few requirements that are probably a bit weird. For example, we don't care about schools -- the last time I checked, schools don't accept kids that wear fur suits and use litterboxes, anyway. :-) But we do want to be within walking distance of bus lines and grocery stores -- I can't drive due to a vision problem. Another requirement is that we'd like to be near many good restaurants -- we don't want to drive 30 miles jsut to go to a decent restaurant. (I don't consider flea-market-on-wall restaurants like Chili and Applebee's *real* restaurants, ya know?) Also, after living in a relatively tree-less state for 30 years, I'd like to live somewhere with a *LOT* of trees, especially mature trees.

Hi! You might want to try where I just bought a townhouse: Madison Place. It's at Richmond and Kirby, but it's pretty safe: gated with a manned 24 guard, with mature trees, and within walking distance to a few good restaurants (Cafe Red Onion is pretty good). It's not within walking distance of a grocery store, tho', unless you want to trek to Whole Foods at Alabama and Kirby and much less than what you plan on spending (around 170-180K). Good luck!

Hiya, folks.....my husband and I just moved to Houston from Colorado (yes, I know....we are crazy, or at least our Colorado friends and relatives think so :-) ). We're currently renting an apartment in Braeswood Place so we can get to know Houston better and wait for our Colorado home to get sold (anyone wanna buy a nice house in Westminster, Colorado? ;-) )

Anyway, as I said, we're getting to know Houston, and figuring out where we might like to buy our next home. We're just a "DINK" (i.e., a couple with no kids -- the human offspring kind, anyway) so we're looking at either buying a townhouse in the Inner Loop, or a house outside the Inner Loop but still inside the Beltway 8, for $250k or less. I know there are tons of houses for under $250k, but we're still getting to know Houston.

Due to the reasons above, we're looking at areas not too far from the west Inner Loop and Galleria areas, between the Inner Loop and Beltway 8. We're not interested in living "too faw away" like Sugarland and Katy -- they're a bit too "suburby" for my tastes.

However, I do have a concern about crime -- I'm under the impression that some places in the target areas I'm looking at have crime problems like Sharpstown. Am I mistaken? I realize that Houston can have "iffy" areas right next to really nice areas and that it has relatively high property crime, but I'd like to know about areas that are relatively safe -- that is, areas where I can walk in broad daylight without worrying about being mugged or drive-by shootings.

Thanks in advance for any replies I may get.

Yes, I agree that the Garden Oaks / Oak Forest area would be one to consider. Right now it looks absolutely beautiful and lush with lots of deep green trees, flowering crepe myrtles and other blooming plants. You can shop at Krogers on 43rd, which is within walking distance to many of the houses. I am a real estate agent (just trying to be helpful here) and if you go to http://www.har.com you will find a beautiful new listing in that area. Search for MLS # 4552668. This house is typical (but nicer) of those found in these neighborhoods. Please note I am not a listing agent and have no connection whatsoever to this house!

You have conflicting requirements. Bus service is best in the ghetto where nobody can afford a car, but then again, there's more crime. Probably a good balance would be on the east end somewhere in 77023

If you want something totally tree-tastic, there's only two places to look in your price range. Garden Oaks, and Garden Villas. Both are going to have awful bus service.

Garden Oaks has awful bus service because it is full of snobs that delicate flower and wail every time they try to put up a bus stop. You know it just isn't proper to have the maid loitering around waiting for the bus.

Garden Villas has awful bus service because it is HUGE, so you'll have to trek a long way to get to the bus stop.

Eastwood (in 77023) has some major streets running through it so there should be bus stops pretty nearby, and has some great old live oaks. Of course in other places, it has mexicans with chainsaws, which results in more of a hacienda-in-a-wasteland motif.

Edited by jm1fd

Interesting lists of needs/wants.

Great places to eat are found just about everywhere here in Houston. No matter where you buy you will find some great places to eat.

Crime is everywhere although less in certain areas for sure. I live in 77023 and we have had no problems. Victor Trevino lives a few streets up from our house and we have numerous police officer families in the neighborhood which may account for the low low crime in our area. (Broadmoor/Eastwood).

Broadmoor is adjacent to the Eastwood Bus Transit Center. It should be noted that Eastwood/Broadmoor and the East End as a whole is changing quickly due to location and low prices compared to other inner loop neighborhoods.

Garden Villa's is a great place and my wife and I will be residents there sooner or later! Which means our home in Broadmoor will be listed for sale pretty soon. We just installed approx 175ft of Crown Molding, totally renovated the main bathroom, added a second bathroom, replaced windows with double pane, repairing the Hard Wood floors, all new light fixtures and Hunter Fans with Remotes, Granite sink in the bathroom, granite counters in kitchen, etc... etc... I will post pictures when we finish it all up.

Good luck, find yourself a "GOOD" realtor and welcome to Houston.

Scharpe St Guy

If you want something totally tree-tastic, there's only two places to look in your price range. Garden Oaks, and Garden Villas. Both are going to have awful bus service.

I'll have to vote for Garden Villas with respect to nice trees. Garden Oaks is not in the same league.

what you are asking for is hard to find for $250k

you might need to prioritize the list and give it another shot.

for example, i live in the inwood forest area... it's close, it's cheap, it's tree lined, it has bus service... it's short on restaurants and not short on crime in the immediate surrounding area. if the surrounding criminal area (apartments) were gone, the restaurants would be here and the price would be higher.

the biggest problem you are going to have, imo, is not driving. houston is a driver city. i wish it were otherwise, but it's not. with so much available land, there has been no reason to build things 'close' (americans, but texans in particular, like their space.) the closest grocery store to me is .5 miles (which is close, but the store is a 'ghetto' grocery store with limited selection). the next one is 3 miles.

so, to reiterate, priortize and come back to this board, and you'll probably get even better responses.

oh, and i vote Maplewood.

what you are asking for is hard to find for $250k

you might need to prioritize the list and give it another shot.

for example, i live in the inwood forest area... it's close, it's cheap, it's tree lined, it has bus service... it's short on restaurants and not short on crime in the immediate surrounding area. if the surrounding criminal area (apartments) were gone, the restaurants would be here and the price would be higher.

the biggest problem you are going to have, imo, is not driving. houston is a driver city. i wish it were otherwise, but it's not. with so much available land, there has been no reason to build things 'close' (americans, but texans in particular, like their space.) the closest grocery store to me is .5 miles (which is close, but the store is a 'ghetto' grocery store with limited selection). the next one is 3 miles.

so, to reiterate, priortize and come back to this board, and you'll probably get even better responses.

oh, and i vote Maplewood.

It depends on what your tastes are, but I was not able to find any houses that I was willing to purchase in Maplewood for less than $250k. So many houses we looked at needed so much work and were still priced between $240 - $280.

If you are willing to be right outside the beltway, you can get some smaller homes in Walnut Bend, Lakeside Estates etc, within that price range. There is tons of retail and restuarant choices. Walking will be tough almost anywhere in Houston, but it can be done if you are willing to live on the edge of a neighborhood that has a big retail area right next to the neighborhood. This is the case in much of Westchase.

Try Fall Creek. It is inner beltway(NE), and you can probably find a nice home there for around your budget price of 250k.

Too bad there is not much going on in the inner south belt, on 288. The commute is to kill for, yet, there seems to be nothing going on down there at all, in terms of suburban housing.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone -- you've been very helpful.

It's mostly likely that we might buy a townhouse somewhere in the Inner Loop -- there are still plenty of townhouses for under $250k though some of them are in what I consider "weird" areas (I'll have to post a topic about that sometime). The thing is, we don't really need a backyard -- when you think about it, backyards are pretty useless unless you have kids, dogs, a pool or like to grow things, and are kinda expensive to maintain, in terms of water bills and gardening fees.

But we're bascially exploring our options, and seeing what is out there, outside the Loop.

• 5 weeks later...

We own a townhome in Bellaire (built in 1980, but we updated it a ton). Don't know how long you're willing to wait to buy, but we will be putting ours on the market in the spring (Feb-March ish). It's a 2bed/2.5bath + study and a small deck in the small backyard. I think it would be difficult to walk to the grocery store, unless you want to shop at Whole Foods ($$, IMO), and there is a large bus station just outside the loop (our townhome is just inside the loop). Oh yeah, and we don't have any maintenance fees. That's great, except it means that you are responsible for maintaining your own landscaping...which some people enjoy, and to others it's a turn off.

There are also some new construction townhomes in Bellaire going up at the intersection of Jessamine and Mapleridge. I can't remember the name of the complex though. Construction has not started, but it looks like they will be nice...starting in the $250s.

Sorry I keep editing! :)

Edited by Texas_Smith