wow, what a difference the sabine to bagby section makes. i wonder how the improvements will survive flooding.

this addition is excellent. the freeways are a bit much to take, but the attempt to recapture the bayou despite the freeways is as good as it can be (imo). one exception might be to do something with the support pillars and maybe music, at least in some areas during certain time of the day or night.

overall, it was great to see so many people and families out. i hope that it will be utilized regularly, day and night (not just by the homeless).

i did see one homeless guy with his 40 ounce, sitting in the sprinklers near the aquarium. it was hot, so...more power to him.

did anyone else go? what were your impressions?

wow, what a difference the sabine to bagby section makes. i wonder how the improvements will survive flooding.

this addition is excellent. the freeways are a bit much to take, but the attempt to recapture the bayou despite the freeways is as good as it can be (imo). one exception might be to do something with the support pillars and maybe music, at least in some areas during certain time of the day or night.

overall, it was great to see so many people and families out. i hope that it will be utilized regularly, day and night (not just by the homeless).

i did see one homeless guy with his 40 ounce, sitting in the sprinklers near the aquarium. it was hot, so...more power to him.

did anyone else go? what were your impressions?

I was there and I thought it was great to see so many people out there. Hopefully, the word will spread and more people will use the park after hearing about this event. People just need to realize the park is completely different than it was. People need to realize the Bayou can be beautiful and can be a destination.

On the weekends when my wife and I take our dog to walk down there, there are always a lot of people who are running, strolling, or biking. With the constant influx of people into the city, comes more of an emphasis of the quality of our surroundings. Hopefully, this momentum will continue and the rest of the Bayou will get fixed.

I agree something eventually needs to be done with the pillars. Trash just collects around the pillars and junks up the bayou. I would like to see them painted or soemthing to beatify them. I did really like the way they did the lighting. It did soften the impact of the freeways.

I will do my part and my wife and I are going to join the Buffalo Bayou Partnership and do what we can to see the plan come to fruition.

I was there. I probably use the paths about 2-3 times a week to either run or bike on. I was happy to see a lot of people down there and hope they enjoyed it. I think its gorgeous what they have done down there and is a great addition to the parks system.

That being said, I thought the actual event was pretty unorganized. Its almost as if they didn't think anyone was going to come and it was actually very crowded. I head a lot of "where is the food" and saw the 30 deep beer line. Also don't know why they closed off the path by the Sabine St. bridge, everyone would walk down there and it dead ended and so it got really clogged up over there. I love the bayou work, but just think they could have done a little more to organize the event.

I did like the crescent moon that was on the Texaco Heritage Plaza building. Looked pretty cool.

I went, and it was great to see all the people out. The blue lighting was really cool. I kept expecting to hear the song "Blue Bayou".

The walkways and stairways that lead from the main sidewalks down to the water are really impressive. I too, though, wonder what impact flooding will have.

There are several large areas along the way for people to congregate and watch a concert or, like last night, a movie. I didn't know what to make of the "floating movies" that they were showing last night. They were definitely strange- one was an Andy Warhol film.

This new Sabine to Bagby promenade added to the existing Sesquecentennial Park behind the Wortham makes for a very scenic walk along the bayou. As you are walking east towards Downtown through all the blue lighting, you turn a curve and the Aquarium becomes visible behind a lot of lush landscaping and more lighting. It makes for a neat effect.

As far as concession lines last night, I didn't see any. I walked right up and bought a beer, very reasonably priced I might add- $4 for a 16oz. Bud Light in a plastic bottle.

It was definitely a plus last night that the weather was mild and the humidity was down.

I was down there for most of the event. There was a huge crowd, and I think they didnt expect that many. but I thik the organisers have learned and will be better prepared next time when they open the next segment. As for the walk coming to an end near bayou place, i don't think that was part of the event, that segment is the Sesquentenial Park and wasn't really focused on(they should of though). As for the Sabine street bridge being cut off, I think that was because fireworks were set off from there (saw them around 7 or 8) then it was reopened when I passed by around 1130pm(well after the fireworks).

i went. it was disorganized. it was totally packed and folks were stepping over people

sitting on the lawn to get around. there weren't areas without people to walk up and down

the hill. those who got there early got fenced in by the rest.

i was impressed by the amount of toddlers running around (mostly down) the steep hill and

very impressed by the fireworks. there were a large amount of pets there. my favorite was

a jack russel terrier going berserk at the fireworks and nearly pulling his owner down hill

into the bayou. :lol:

overall it was ok. i left after the fireworks though, i couldn't handle the sheer amount of people

(i was on the side without the live music stage). was nice to see the large amount of folks

there behaving and genuinely pleased with the show. there was much applauding and people

did not get pushy with all of the chaos.

my cohort was mostly impressed by the ladies and their lack of clothing. i would say that the

ones worth seeing, were the ones that coincidentally, had not dressed that way. :o

actually, now that i think of it there was a good cross section of folks there. families, couples,

small kids, older folks. i saw some whitebread families and some groups of teenagers hanging

out and enjoying the park near the bridge. one girl had a tattoo in old english over her cleavage

that said "daisy chain". i overheard one mom tell her kids, "this is a bridge so we can go over

the water." they were about 12 and one said, "yeah mom, thanks". one fella was walking

around playing an accordion, another two fellas had a harmonica and an acoustic guitar and

were playing as the went around the trails. so, except for the crowded hill, i enjoyed seeing

the different types of houstonians who came to enjoy the park. :)

It was a nice event. Lots of people behaving well except for the litter-bugs. They could have had more temporary garbage cans. I noticed some of the blue lights wern't turned on-especially behind Hobby garage. Maybe they turned them on later?

I was standing on the pedestrian bridge and an older couple stopped because the bridge was kind of bouncy with so many people on it. They freaked and scurried away.

Anyway, great night; great music and fireworks and weird but interesting Warhol flick.

B)

It was pretty fun.

All my friends that I 'dragged screaming' to it had lots of fun and later admitted that they were pleasently surprised with the transformation and had a good time.

I would post all my pics from the event, but i'm sure all of you have the same pics already.

It was pretty fun.

All my friends that I 'dragged screaming' to it had lots of fun and later admitted that they were pleasently surprised with the transformation and had a good time.

I would post all my pics from the event, but i'm sure all of you have the same pics already.

i wasn't able to bring my camera. post 'em!

Was there with wife and a buddy of mine visiting from out of town. I thought it was pretty impressive. I want to go back during the day to see how green and lush it looks. I hope people regularly use it to encourage more to come.

What's the word on the section between the Wortham area and Allen's landing/Sunset Coffee? I thought they were working on that area also, but maybe not so much landscaping and only trails. I sure would like to see cafes and shops pop up in that area, mainly because there are allready some interesting old buildings there (if people can get passed the fact that half of those buildings are jails and bail bond houses!)

Archived