Memorial City Mall History

sttombiz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some recent history...a 2003 floorplan shows the mall just after the major remodel, where Target, ice rink, etc. have come. There are big differences. Mervyns and Lord & Taylor still exist, a water feature is in the original "crossroads", Old Navy and Panera Bread are instead Borders and Cheesecake Factory, respectively. The fireplace is a Panera Bread. And the cinema is not finished. Remember, Town & Country is still alive at this point!

http://web.archive.org/web/20030820071745/...lease_plans.pdf

- Some confusing aerial photography suggests that the mall never did a major expansion. It looks like Foley's was razed for Dillard's, and that was it.

- Was the original Foley's one story or two?

- When did the food court open?

- An upstairs area near Sears was once a Loews 6, and at another time it was an amusement park area. When were they these things, and what is it now? Please note that in looking in an aerial that shows the sides, it does NOT connect to the current cinema. So what is there now? A possible suggestion is that the escalators once led up to it is in the space reserved for that new sports grill. Do they occupy it now?

- I'm preparing a replacement to the Wikipedia article for the mall, which you can see here. Please edit and tell me what I did wrong/need to add.

- Some confusing aerial photography suggests that the mall never did a major expansion. It looks like Foley's was razed for Dillard's, and that was it.

- An upstairs area near Sears was once a Loews 6, and at another time it was an amusement park area. When were they these things, and what is it now? Please note that in looking in an aerial that shows the sides, it does NOT connect to the current cinema. So what is there now? A possible suggestion is that the escalators once led up to it is in the space reserved for that new sports grill. Do they occupy it now?

- I'm preparing a replacement to the Wikipedia article for the mall, which you can see here. Please edit and tell me what I did wrong/need to add.

I'll try:

1. Foley's was one story...it was not where Macy's is today. It was on the east side of the mall...but the mall stretches out further east now than it did then, i believe.

2. The newly remodled food court opened in the last 4-5 years or so...before then it was just an expanse of space to the west if you entered from the south/central entrance. Before that...I'd really have to go back in memory...I don't remember a food court...I remember a York Steak House that was in the same general vicinity, though, within the mall.

3. There have been 3 movie theaters in MCM. The first was centrally located...my grandfather ran the projection there when that used to be a union job. It was near where Forever 21 is now. It was a Lowe's. It was an upstairs facility but I believe it only had 3 screens. It closed down and for a while there was no theater there in the mall...but about 89 or so they opened up the second Lowe's theater which was near Sears. It was all on the first floor, however. It had 6 screens, I think. And then it closed down and we didn't have a theater there again until the new Cinemark opened up about 2 years back.

I'll try:

1. Foley's was one story...it was not where Macy's is today. It was on the east side of the mall...but the mall stretches out further east now than it did then, i believe.

2. The newly remodled food court opened in the last 4-5 years or so...before then it was just an expanse of space to the west if you entered from the south/central entrance. Before that...I'd really have to go back in memory...I don't remember a food court...I remember a York Steak House that was in the same general vicinity, though, within the mall.

3. There have been 3 movie theaters in MCM. The first was centrally located...my grandfather ran the projection there when that used to be a union job. It was near where Forever 21 is now. It was a Lowe's. It was an upstairs facility but I believe it only had 3 screens. It closed down and for a while there was no theater there in the mall...but about 89 or so they opened up the second Lowe's theater which was near Sears. It was all on the first floor, however. It had 6 screens, I think. And then it closed down and we didn't have a theater there again until the new Cinemark opened up about 2 years back.

Madmax - We are the same age (also born in 74) and have many of the same memories. I've been going to this mall as long as I can remember and will try to help out.

Point #1 - He is correct. It was on the east side, but the mall is MUCH longer now. It used to end about where the Starbucks rotunda is. It was a straight shot with the Foley's (one story) ending the mall there. As you were walking towards Foley's, I do remember a Palais Royal (or something similar) on the left hand side. I'm not sure how long it was there, but I know it was there in my high school years until they started rehabing the mall. (We did a school choir fundraiser there by helping w/ inventory one year. )

Point #2 - I don't personally remember the steakhouse, but have heard about it. I do remember the food court from the 80's and 90's. It was in the same area - just much smaller than today. If you take away that part that juts out by McDonald's and goes to more eateries, the bathrooms, and carousel, etc, and make it a straight wall down to the exit by Berryhill/ arcade, that was the food court back then. The whole side where Taco Bell and all those restaurants are and the part of the other side with storefronts near Chickfila were there then too. I also remember one of those recording studios that were everywhere in the 80's. You know the kind where you wore headphones and the gave you sheet music and they recorded you singing a famous song and gave you the tape. This one had a TV moitor where you could watch the people recording in the food court. It was located near the present day Marble Slab counter I think.

Point#3 -Our memories match up well except I was thinking the second theater (late 80's-2000ish) was a few more screens -maybe 8-10. My only memory of the first theater is a large curving staircase covered in red velvety like carpeting. My dad saw the Excorist there and the popcorm machine caught on fire during the movie and everyone had to be evacuated. He took this as a sign to never watch movies like that again -lol. (He said half-joking.)

Okay, I'm not remembering a Loews 6 upstairs at all. I don't think that is correct. There was the original balcony theater w/ red plush carpeting and a grand staircase near the current Forever 21. I'm not sure when that closed as my memories of that are few (see previous post). Then they opened the multiscreen theatre on the ground floor down in the Sears wing -across from the access to today's theater. As you were walking in the mall towards Sears, it was on the right hand side just before a hallway that lead to the parking lot (I believe this hall is still there w/ a restaurant - maybe Beck's Prime?) and then past the hall was Sears. I can't remember what is in that space now, but there were doors from that side hallway and the main corridor to access the theater. I think this theater closed in the late 90's.

As far as the upstairs amusement park, I've read alot about this over the years and it perplexes me as I have no memory of it at all. It might just be the timing is off for me to remember it as I think some dates put it around 93-94 and I was away at college then. I do remember hearing of a play place upstairs that existed when I was really little near the old original theatre (current Forever 21 area), but have no memory of accessing such a place later on in that location. I do remember a place I think that was called Exhilarama that actually had rides and I believe was 2 stories in the mid 90's. It started where the little arcade in the food court is today and went way back for a long ways (probably into what is currently some of Penney's space). There was a staircase to a 2nd floor w/ more stuff if memory serves me correctly. I only went there once or twice w/ my nephew when he was little. I remember a 2nd floor there, but all these things I read about a 2nd floor play area near Sears confuses me. CAn anyone help me w/ this? I've always wondered about this inconsistent memory.

Okay, I'm not remembering a Loews 6 upstairs at all. I don't think that is correct. There was the original balcony theater w/ red plush carpeting and a grand staircase near the current Forever 21. I'm not sure when that closed as my memories of that are few (see previous post). Then they opened the multiscreen theatre on the ground floor down in the Sears wing -across from the access to today's theater. As you were walking in the mall towards Sears, it was on the right hand side just before a hallway that lead to the parking lot (I believe this hall is still there w/ a restaurant - maybe Beck's Prime?) and then past the hall was Sears. I can't remember what is in that space now, but there were doors from that side hallway and the main corridor to access the theater. I think this theater closed in the late 90's.

As far as the upstairs amusement park, I've read alot about this over the years and it perplexes me as I have no memory of it at all. It might just be the timing is off for me to remember it as I think some dates put it around 93-94 and I was away at college then. I do remember hearing of a play place upstairs that existed when I was really little near the old original theatre (current Forever 21 area), but have no memory of accessing such a place later on in that location. I do remember a place I think that was called Exhilarama that actually had rides and I believe was 2 stories in the mid 90's. It started where the little arcade in the food court is today and went way back for a long ways (probably into what is currently some of Penney's space). There was a staircase to a 2nd floor w/ more stuff if memory serves me correctly. I only went there once or twice w/ my nephew when he was little. I remember a 2nd floor there, but all these things I read about a 2nd floor play area near Sears confuses me. Can anyone help me w/ this? I've always wondered about this inconsistent memory.

The second floor actually wasn't near Sears...it was above the old mall offices...there was a staircase to it (it was called Kids' Kingdom) from the site where Forever 21 is now...and a staircase to it from the old food court. It was particularly geared towards younger children. You are right...given you were born in 1974, it would have been when you were away at college. They had another spot at the exact same time down where the ice rink is today (general vicinity) called Outer Limits. It had roller skating and batting cages. So one summer I came home from college and worked the batting cages...and the next I worked cash control for both from the mall offices.

Exhilarama came later...and the people who worked for MetroNational were fired up about it. I think they envisioned it would last far longer than it did...and that it would be much more impactful than it was. Now it's just a Tilt....and doesn't have very much to offer at all.

I actually wrote advertising copy for the mall directed to high school kids when I was in high school. :) Remember the book covers that you'd have to use to cover textbooks at school? I got to know the management of Memorial City pretty well..particularly the marketing folks...and they asked me to design something. I wrote a top ten list and had someone help with other stuff...it ended up placing 2nd in a national competition, up against stuff designed by professionals! :) I sound like I'm patting myself on the back, but it's too long ago for it to really matter or for me to take any credit for it!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Nobody really answered the original question. I do remember a mini mall, but can't recall if it was Memorial City or Town and Country. I ran around MC back when it was Sears and Montgomery Ward with a theater on the east end before it was expanded. There was a good record store and a hobby shop with a huge model plane hanging from the ceiling. Could the mini mall have been at T&C by the ice skating rink?

The mini-mall was at Memorial City on the east side, where theater used to be, circa: 1969-72. There was a hobby shop, record store and poster shop. No one seems to remember this though.

Got lotsa records and posters at the mini-mall.

• 2 weeks later...
So, did I get this correct: the mall opened in 1964 with Sears, Wards came in 1965, Lord & Taylor 1979, and Foley's 1967?

I would say that Wards came around 1972. We moved to that area in 1966 and there was parking in the spot that Wards later occupied. Lord and Taylor came in 1977 and Foley's in 1973.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Here's an old pic of the Katy Freeway frontage of MCM. I have determined that this photo was snapped between September 18 and October 26, 1974.

"Gone With The Wind" was re-released in Houston on September 18, 1974, and on the MCM marquee there is an art show through October 26.

Enlarge the photo and take special note of the U.S.A.F. fighter aircraft parked in the East lot, between the mall and the Goodyear tire store. Wassup with that?

post-8254-12609142129646_thumb.jpg

Here's an old pic of the Katy Freeway frontage of MCM. I have determined that this photo was snapped between September 18 and October 26, 1974.

"Gone With The Wind" was re-released in Houston on September 18, 1974, and on the MCM marquee there is an art show through October 26.

Enlarge the photo and take special note of the U.S.A.F. fighter aircraft parked in the East lot, between the mall and the Goodyear tire store. Wassup with that?

I can't seem to be able to enlarge the photo. When I click on it, the screen just goes to black.

I know that Gone With The Wind was also playing at Memorial City in the fall of 1971.

I can't seem to be able to enlarge the photo. When I click on it, the screen just goes to black.

I know that Gone With The Wind was also playing at Memorial City in the fall of 1971.

Same here with that photo . . . hmmmm, I dunno how to "fix" that.

If anyone here would like a better, cleaner, larger copy of that pic, send me an e-mail to bell-auto <at> comcast.net and I'll reply back with the file.

Really interesting to me is the fighter aircraft near the Goodyear store, sure would like to find out more about why it was on display @ MCM back in the fall of '74.

I'll bet it was a b!tch to get it trucked in there, LOL!

I've "googled" about that fighter 'til my fingers were just about worn out, with no success.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here with that photo . . . hmmmm, I dunno how to "fix" that.

If anyone here would like a better, cleaner, larger copy of that pic, send me an e-mail to bell-auto <at> comcast.net and I'll reply back with the file.

Really interesting to me is the fighter aircraft near the Goodyear store, sure would like to find out more about why it was on display @ MCM back in the fall of '74.

I'll bet it was a b!tch to get it trucked in there, LOL!

I've "googled" about that fighter 'til my fingers were just about worn out, with no success.

Lloyd you may need to find another photo hosting site such as Photobucket, to get the picture to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally miss the old mall; the new version looks like every other mall. I know that Wards always looked like a garage sale, but they had a really neat jewelry store just outside the internal mall entrance and my mom dragged me to that fabric store (I think it was called the Golden Needle) with weird antiques all the time. I also recall going to the movie theater with the balcony; and I think I might have seen that horrid movie 'The Legend of Billie Jean'. I still miss the old Foleys there.

The other thing is Sears.... I recall they used to have an all window front entrance and candy counter/icee machine by the Gessner entrance. I was sad when they covered up the outside and put up the new-ish logo. No matter what they do it is going to look like a yard sale in there :P

My main recollection is the mall always smelt mildewy because of the fountains and the Walgreens felt cramped. So far I am not really impressed with the recent renovation.

I totally miss the old mall; the new version looks like every other mall. I know that Wards always looked like a garage sale, but they had a really neat jewelry store just outside the internal mall entrance and my mom dragged me to that fabric store (I think it was called the Golden Needle) with weird antiques all the time. I also recall going to the movie theater with the balcony; and I think I might have seen that horrid movie 'The Legend of Billie Jean'. I still miss the old Foleys there.

The other thing is Sears.... I recall they used to have an all window front entrance and candy counter/icee machine by the Gessner entrance. I was sad when they covered up the outside and put up the new-ish logo. No matter what they do it is going to look like a yard sale in there :P

My main recollection is the mall always smelt mildewy because of the fountains and the Walgreens felt cramped. So far I am not really impressed with the recent renovation.

Ha ha, funny you should mention Legend of Billie Jean. I actually scanned through the movie (on YouTube), jumping around until I found the part of where they show a picture of the then-thriving Sunrise Mall. It wasn't very a clear shot, but it was thriving...a pity, considering the only store that's lasted since the 1980s was a GNC.

• 3 years later...

Would anyone happen to have any photos of Kids' Kingdom or even Fame City? It's hard to find anything on this place except for some old commercials. I could have sworn they had like a kiddie roller coaster. It wasn't that tall at all... probably went to an average adults head (height wise). I've been trying to find more info on this place since my cousin just yesterday wanted to go back to this place but I was pretty sure it was closed long ago. All I can find now is something called FunPlex near 59? I'm assuming that was like a second location or something.

Yeah, it does kinda different now. Who decided to paint it that awful yellow color? http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wacko.gif

Seems the cloudy day and/ or possible photo filter have distorted the color of Memorial City mall. I pass it frequently. Don't recall that deep yellow. I'm thinking its a cream w/ slight yellow tint.

Triton, have you used the search feature within this forum? Might help with that amusement park photo search.

I'm glad to see this thread is still active, tho' I'm not sure whether the original participants may still be paying attention.

I'm old enough that I can remember when there was just a Sears store and no mall!  It's interesting how this mall has evolved over the years, with fits and starts, so to speak.  While I don't care for MetroNational's (the owners) design decisions, I'm glad they have continued to invest in the mall and the area around it.  For me, the mall was pretty boring in all of its previous incarnations ... which was kinda surprising considering its right next to what has (through its history) always been a very high-income neighborhood.

An earlier poster posted that the Beinhorn family owned land to the east of the mall that was used for riding horses.  I really enjoyed that post, because my big sister used to ride there with her friends.  They always referred to the place as "Forty Acres".  It think it extended more-or-less from where the Guadalajara restaurant is now to the Cobalt Tower.  In the 60's, it wasn't unheard of for families in that area to keep horses on their lots, which as i recall were always ridden by young women.  My perception is that that practice started disappearing rapidly after a young woman was hit by a car on Memorial while riding her horse there.

Another poster referred to the opening of the first movie theatre there.  I had just entered Memorial HS when that happened and was in the band.  We played at (what I thought) was the opening of the theatre, which featured the "premiere" of the movie "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows", with the star, Rosalind Russell in attendance.  Wikipedia gives 1968 as the date that movie was released.  

Would anyone happen to have any photos of Kids' Kingdom or even Fame City? It's hard to find anything on this place except for some old commercials. I could have sworn they had like a kiddie roller coaster. It wasn't that tall at all... probably went to an average adults head (height wise). I've been trying to find more info on this place since my cousin just yesterday wanted to go back to this place but I was pretty sure it was closed long ago. All I can find now is something called FunPlex near 59? I'm assuming that was like a second location or something.

Fame City was eventually changed to Fun Plex and it's located right off of Beechnut and Eldridge.  They tore down Adventure Bay a couple years ago though.  Here's a video that someone took of it a while back 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fVFiZk9wFc

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Alright so a video has been posted to YouTube that shows a trip to a mall to play some Hard Drivin'

I'm trying to figure out what mall was featured in the video, although I have very little to go off of.

The full video is here.

The mall and surrounding area show up here.

http://youtu.be/VvMMCsm0Qt4?t=4m8s

About the only thing I can pull is a quick glimpse of a Sears and it's Garden Center. This combined with the right turn to get into the mall facing the Exxon make it seem like it was possible Memorial Mall although I'm not sure.

Archived