Walmart At FM 1093 And Grand Parkway

I know that Wal-mart bought the property between Bellaire and 1093 on the west side. Construction of a new Super Wal-mart was supposed to break ground in January this year. I know they had permit issues due to their bright parking lights and lost. Anyone hear any news on if they are still building?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The area for the Wal-mart (the two sections from Bellaire to 1093) on the west of Grand Parkway are open land.........it would actually be a great location for them with all the traffic from the WestPark and up/down Grandparkway.........

We just hope they have to use directional soft lights............

I am also hoping that Wal-mart would have to keep a topnotch store.........it would be very convenient.

• 4 months later...

Here is the latest...........

A Super-Walmart will start construction Jan. 2007........The issue they had with the brightness of the parking lot lights has been resolved.............(I already see a bulldozer working in the area)

As Wal-Mart has commited, here are other business' that are getting on board.......

Movie Complex 8-10 theater.......(Commited)

Whataburger........(Commited)

Papadeaux's...........(in possible talks or just a wish rumor)

These will all be on the west side of Grand Parkway between Bellaire and 1093.........

With Wal-Mart as the leader, I expect a lot of business' to show interest in this area.........

Here is the latest...........

A Super-Walmart will start construction Jan. 2007........The issue they had with the brightness of the parking lot lights has been resolved.............(I already see a bulldozer working in the area)

As Wal-Mart has commited, here are other business' that are getting on board.......

Movie Complex 8-10 theater.......(Commited)

Whataburger........(Commited)

Papadeaux's...........(in possible talks or just a wish rumor)

These will all be on the west side of Grand Parkway between Bellaire and 1093.........

With Wal-Mart as the leader, I expect a lot of business' to show interest in this area.........

walmart has nothing at all to do with other businesses being interested in this area it is the affluent neighborhoods and cheaper land and the population growth of the immediate area and county. Guaranteed success out there.

walmart has nothing at all to do with other businesses being interested in this area it is the affluent neighborhoods and cheaper land and the population growth of the immediate area and county. Guaranteed success out there.

Never heard of shadow retail? Other businesses locate around a Wal-Mart because it acts like a very powerful anchor. It gets a whole lot of traffic, and everybody wants a piece of it.

Yeah, why are they going to have another theater out here? AMC at Katy Mills has 24 screens, Cinemark on I-10 @ 99 has 20, and the Alamo Drafthouse on Mason Road has 8 or 10 (can't remember). Do we actually need more? Maybe this area will compete more with that H-E-B Center in front of Seven Meadows. Too bad this isn't in Katy I.S.D., but in the rural district south of it (Lamar C.I.S.D.)

Yeah, why are they going to have another theater out here? AMC at Katy Mills has 24 screens, Cinemark on I-10 @ 99 has 20, and the Alamo Drafthouse on Mason Road has 8 or 10 (can't remember). Do we actually need more? Maybe this area will compete more with that H-E-B Center in front of Seven Meadows. Too bad this isn't in Katy I.S.D., but in the rural district south of it (Lamar C.I.S.D.)

Lamar CISD won't be so rural anymore in a decade :)

I think he is talking about the intersection below:

125qqm1.jpg

The Map is from Google Earth

I just cant believe that the Katy area has 3 super Wal-Marts now... WOW

I am going to show a little update on the area around this Walmart:

KatyWalmart1.jpg

KatyWalmart2.jpg

New Development Less Than A Mile Away:

KatyWalmart3.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They have the Westpark Tollway curving up and connection with I-10 (at Pederson Road). I didn't know it was going to be that long of a roadway. Also, they have Kingsland and Katy-Gaston Road going west of the Westpark Tollway (when it is going north), too. Those are some big plans.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually live in the neighborhood right off of canal by bellaire. A lot of the people do not want this. Its been proven that Walmarts will drop the property value and raise the crime rate. Great just great. Sorry to be so mad we do not want it. :angry2:

I actually live in the neighborhood right off of canal by bellaire. A lot of the people do not want this. Its been proven that Walmarts will drop the property value and raise the crime rate. Great just great. Sorry to be so mad we do not want it. :angry2:

Coincidence,

I commented about how not everyone likes Walmarts popping up and I got shot down like an airplane! :wacko:

See Sugarland topic.

South Grand Parkway drivers:

For those of us that drive south on Grand Parkway to 90A or Hwy 59 and back everyday, the addition of the Kroger's at Mason (Waterside Estates) and the Wal-mart and Lowe's at Bellarie will be a blessing. I am so tired of fighting the traffic at HEB and Home Depot on Fry.

Hopefully, having more options will even out the traffic up and down Grand Parkway.

Also, the newer Walmarts are well maintained..........it can't look any worse then the HEB color scheme......LOL......

South Grand Parkway drivers:

For those of us that drive south on Grand Parkway to 90A or Hwy 59 and back everyday, the addition of the Kroger's at Mason (Waterside Estates) and the Wal-mart and Lowe's at Bellarie will be a blessing. I am so tired of fighting the traffic at HEB and Home Depot on Fry.

Hopefully, having more options will even out the traffic up and down Grand Parkway.

Also, the newer Walmarts are well maintained..........it can't look any worse then the HEB color scheme......LOL......

I don't really go down that way, but are they upgrading the Grand Parkway to a freeway? They really need to before traffic starts building up even more.

I've lived in this subdivision off Canal and Waterlily for 14 years. People here don't want commercial development? WalMart will lower our property value? We've been the armpit off the Grand Parkway for too long. We've self inflicted our lower property values. Change is inevitable. Personally I'm elated that it's a large anchor like WalMart going in and not some one story, strip mall with Jim Bob's liquor and XXX Video, frequent turnover and lack of maintenance. I've no fear this is the best thing that could have happened to us. People need to educate themselves on the matter, not relying on misinformation or heresay, before casting blame on progress.

I've lived in this subdivision off Canal and Waterlily for 14 years. People here don't want commercial development? WalMart will lower our property value? We've been the armpit off the Grand Parkway for too long. We've self inflicted our lower property values. Change is inevitable. Personally I'm elated that it's a large anchor like WalMart going in and not some one story, strip mall with Jim Bob's liquor and XXX Video, frequent turnover and lack of maintenance. I've no fear this is the best thing that could have happened to us. People need to educate themselves on the matter, not relying on misinformation or heresay, before casting blame on progress.

Khou 11 did a story last night. Seems opinions are split down the middle like always. One resident said she loved the idea of just walking across the street to it and another man was outraged and says they were duped by realtors. Walmart rep says everyone complains at 1st but eventually cave in and come shop. He assured that new red lights are to be installed, boulevards widened, etc. Sounds like a sham to me. All those high property taxes for what? I would be starting a rally against it but sounds as if the 1st shovel has been planted. Time to head for the country! -_-

Khou 11 did a story last night. Seems opinions are split down the middle like always. One resident said she loved the idea of just walking across the street to it and another man was outraged and says they were duped by realtors. Walmart rep says everyone complains at 1st but eventually cave in and come shop. He assured that new red lights are to be installed, boulevards widened, etc. Sounds like a sham to me. All those high property taxes for what? I would be starting a rally against it but sounds as if the 1st shovel has been planted. Time to head for the country! -_-

It was Channel 13 and they were brought here under false pretenses (by the outraged man). There is a ton of history here that everyone is up in arms about and has nothing to do with WalMart or commercial development. That's what we should be rallying against. I won't bore you with those details but our high turnover in property ownership is HOA related. (The outraged man is our HOA VP.)

Realtors and Home Builders are nothing more than sales sluts that will tell you the grass will be pink; as long as you sign on the dotted line and they make the sale. They have been cautioned many times to stop misleading the public with talk of parks and other recreation areas to be placed on ROWs and easements. They can and will say anything. Just ask them to put it in writing and see what happens.

As a "public" attendee, I've personally attended every one of our MUD meetings since the concept of "WalMart" was put on the table--hence my theory on people educating themselves before casting stones. No sham whatsoever. As for high property taxes, they're not. We even get a certain percentage of annual WalMart revenue to be used to pay off bonds, improve the district, or just use as the district sees fit. Yes, it's all in writing. I'm telling you, it's a win, win situation. A sound wall and green wall, along with huge detention areas will also be erected and separating us. No eye sores here. Construction phases are always unappealing and noisy. The finished product is why people "give in" and shop.

As this IS the country, you can imagine lengthy debates between County and developer over who is responsible for maintaing or improving this or that. At last, we will have our street lights, curbs and curb appeal. Again, this is all in writing and has been agreed upon. I can also understand how in some areas under other conditions, this isn't always the case with WalMart, Kroger, Shopping Centers etc. But in this particular case, it is.

Unfortunately I was unable to catch the news on the issues and Im not trying to be a nesayer or rude, especially since obviously I dont know all the facts regarding the Walmart.

1) One of my current coworkers previously worked in the real estate business. She has never a Walmart go up in a specific area where it did not lower the property value (not property taxes).

and

2) Now this is just an opinion, but when you look out of your window in the morning, where you used to see open fields, do you want to be looking at a wall. I know I wouldnt want to.

Also from what I hear about the show, there was a lady on there that was unhappy because she feels that the area will no longer be safe for her kids to bike ride in the neighborhood, so they supposedly will be moving. Now I cant say that I can blame that on the HOA. I may have my information incorrect but if so I apologize for casting stones, Im just going by the information that I have been shown and told.

Archived