Walmart At FM 1093 And Grand Parkway

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just an FYI, the new Walmart logo has changed. They have dropped the star between Wal and Mart. It is now Walmart *

(asterisk representing a sunburst sort of design). For a look at all of the Walmart logos since 1962, see the link below..

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew...rst_for_wal.php

Hmm. We'll see if this make any difference

You can't compare the starting salary to a store that is inside the loop to a store that is in the burbs twenty miles away. How much does the Kohls next door pay or the HEB down the road pay compared to the Wal-Mart on the Grand Parkway. You have to also take into account the 10% discount all Wal-mart employees get, the stock purchase programs, 401k, the health care benefits, the training opportunities, stock purchase program, and other benefits Wal-Mart offers.

Once again don't make accusations unless you have your facts straight! The reason for them not having enough employees hired and trained yet is due to Ike and not the wages. They lost a week or two of hiring and traing due to the storm.

Interesting you mention all the benifits attached with WalMart. I have read many articles regarding Walmart's hiring practices (and my brother-in-law is an assistant manager at a WalMart) and they are notorious for hiring very vew full time employess. The majority of their work force are part time employees so they do not have to pay for benifits such as health insurance and 401K matching programs.

Has anyone heard anything about Buffalo Wild Wings going in at the shopping center. I thought it was a done deal.

BWW has a sign out right next to the pad site containing Zales. I think it went up recently b/c I just noticed it this morning.

Ok, here is what I've heard, for what it's worth...

The area manager that is heading this Walmart is treating it as his own pet project. It is going to be unlike any walmart you have seen (think chandeliers). Apparently, he toured the Kohls and HEB and decided to make millions of $ worth of renovations, before even opening the door. Hiring may also be a problem, but the delays have been due to the renovations and Ike. I believe this will be somewhat like a prototype store, as they are attempting to match the area and the demographics they are serving. They are willing to dump extra money and time into this location, because if it works, it will be the model for new Walmarts to come. Walmart is trying to revamp their image. Look at Hwy 90 and 6, it has been remodeled. And, the new logo is a huge indication of a changing image. Companies don't just change a logo for the fun of it.

Anyway, it might not be too bad, and for those of us who have been waiting for something closer, it should be awesome!

For those hardcore Walmart Shoppers....

Chamber of Commerce

Ribbon Cutting & Grand Opening at Wal-Mart #3827

Date: 11/12/2008

Time: 8:00 AM TO 9:30 AM

Event Description:

Ribbon Cutting and Grand Opening for Wal-Mart #3827.

Directions:

Located at the intersection of the Grand Parkway/Highway 99 and FM 1093.

From WalMart's website..

"RICHMOND, Texas, Nov. 7, 2008 – The newest Walmart Supercenter in Richmond will celebrate a grand opening this week, giving local shoppers a glimpse of the company’s next generation of store design and customer experience. The Supercenter, located at 5660 Grand Parkway West near the Westpark Tollway, will open to customers following a grand-opening ceremony at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. The new store features wider aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers than ever before."

For the rest of the story...

http://walmartstores.com/FactsNews/NewsRoom/8766.aspx

I drove by the other day and peeked inside. It pretty much looks like an H-E-B but with more merchandise (clothes etc).

Today was the first day theywere open to the public so I walked through this morning. It was mainly filled with vendors and Walmart exects. It is a little nicer inside than the walmarts we have and is layed out a little differently. It reminded me of the layout of a Walmart that is near Disney in Orlando. Nothing that really stuck out and said "wow" this is different and "upscale".

Just went there (inside this time) and it is a walmart but they have "hardwood" floors in the clothing section. The signage is updated to reflect the new logo. Also the way the site is laid out is totally different than from almost all other Wal marts I have seen.

It's not bad...if they wanted to update all their stores the same way they could pretty much do so at minimal cost.

Edit: by site, i meant the layout as it relates to the freeway and the side access road. it does not front directly onto the highway.

I, too, went in there after work. There were a couple of observations that I made:

1. Signage is different and there is more of it. All of the aisles have these small signs hanging over the products telling you which products are on that aisle.

2. The store is bright and clean (it is new, I know). The floors were stained concrete and wood (or laminate). Most wal-marts have that white tile type flooring.

3. The aisles were wider. And there were not any of those displays on palletes sitting in the middle of them.

4. The homegoods section felt like a Target. It was very nice.

5. The layout was very different - you just have to go to get the feel of it.

6. The pharamcy was on the grocery side of the store (usually on the "other" side in older stores). Also, it had a drive-through pharmacy which was interesting because the actual pharmacy was towards the middle of the store (not against an exterior wall). I guess the send the meds to you through a tube from the middle of the store. It also looked like the drivethrough had some sort of screens - maybe so you could see the person that you were talking to?

7. There was not an automotive service department. It looks like they have some bays in the back that might be used for that in the future but right now you can't get your oil changes, batteries, tires, etc. there.

Overall I like it. I just hope the aisles stay de-cluttered like they are now and that they keep the store shining.

I too went by there last night just to check it out. Not bad as WM's go IMO...The isles are nice and wide so you don't bump into rumps sticking out as you go down the middle of the isle...the electronics dept. is set up much the same as Best Buy and Circuit City...the grocery area is set up much like HEB...look's like WM is trying to get away from the warehouse concept and utilize the concepts that made the previously mentioned successful...good move on their part...heck, even the shoe and clothing departmenst look nicer than the usual "stack em to the rafters" in the first and second gen stores....I say they get a thumbs up for this and would like to see it come to the Katy Mills location....

I stopped by after work also. Appreciated the wider, uncluttered aisles. Also liked the way some areas are better defined. For example, the bath items (towels, etc) were in an area clearly defined by two taller adjoining walls and the shelves in this area were lower. I think my single favorite thing were the gleaming black upright freezer cases in the grocery dept. Those aisles seemed to glow. The colorful frozen items certainly pop against the black.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any word on if Best Buy is coming in or not, and what happened to that proposed movie theater?

Edit: Well, I guess I'm late. Maybe I'm just forgetting, but Best Buy is coming in. Hopefully the movie theater is still bit. Preferably, an Edwards Theater, as Katy already has Cinemark and AMC.

Pad_Sights.jpg

• The title was changed to Walmart At FM 1093 And Grand Parkway

Archived