Walmart At FM 1093 And Grand Parkway

Walmart suddenly placing yet another store in Katy when they already operate nearly a 1/2 dozen other locations

I am not really a Walmart shopper, but I do like facts to be straight. First off, this Walmart is located in Richmond, not Katy. Between Fry and Hwy 90 there is no retail, so I am sure the people who live in this area will appreciate not having to drive 15 minutes just to pick up a loaf of bread. Secondly, there is only one Walmart in south Katy, and that is on I-10, which isn't very convenient if you live closer to 1093. Between all of the new development in Katy, Fulshear and along 99 in Richmond, this new Walmart won't have a lack of customers. I actually go to Walmart for a particular brand of cleaner that my nearby HEB, Target and Krogers don't carry. This new store will make my trip for this one item much more convenient. And yes, there are two Walmarts in north Katy, but the newest one is so far north, it's darn near in Cypress.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Cla, but my facts are straight. 4 Walmarts and 2 Sam's Clubs are located west of Hwy 6 and every one of them impact the Katy Area. This includes the new Walmart being discussed here. It does not include the other 26 locations that are located on the western side of Houston.

Sorry Cla, but my facts are straight. 4 Walmarts and 2 Sam's Clubs are located west of Hwy 6 and every one of them impact the Katy Area. This includes the new Walmart being discussed here. It does not include the other 26 locations that are located on the western side of Houston.

You specifically said in "Katy" and in "our small town".

KatyResident, please explain the demographics of Walmart suddenly placing yet another store in Katy when they already operate nearly a 1/2 dozen other locations, including a Sams in our small town? Just how many Walmarts will it take before Target leaves town, or Kohls, or......

Just a few documented facts below regarding Walmart that certainly support my arguement.

I started to write a point by point rebuttal to your post until I realized how spectacularly boring that was going to be for everyone else to read. If we want to move this thread to a separate forum and discuss whether Walmart is bad or not, I'll be there.

I really don't think that you've supported your argument at all. Your argument was Walmart killed small towns by bringing big business into them. The points that you have raised bear no relevance to that, these are generic points stating that Walmart is bad. I could post a similar series of points aimed at Microsoft, Starbucks, or any other company that has built a dominant market share in their area of business.

I will comment that the points you've listed are not objective at all and appear to have been pulled from sites such as wakeupwalmart which are notorious for taking a slanted perspective. Take the Adidas point for example - your source fails to note that Adidas has also sued Payless, Sears, Target, and Nordstrom for copyright infringement regarding the use of stripes on their private label shoes. How come they get a free pass from your source's anger? You might also note that yesterday Adidas announced that it will transfer some production from China because Chinese salaries are getting too high. Why is this considered appropriate under this rationale?

As I said, I'd be more than happy to reply to your post point by point in the appropriate forum because we have moved completely off the topic of this thread at this point.

I am not really a Walmart shopper, but I do like facts to be straight. First off, this Walmart is located in Richmond, not Katy. Between Fry and Hwy 90 there is no retail, so I am sure the people who live in this area will appreciate not having to drive 15 minutes just to pick up a loaf of bread. Secondly, there is only one Walmart in south Katy, and that is on I-10, which isn't very convenient if you live closer to 1093. Between all of the new development in Katy, Fulshear and along 99 in Richmond, this new Walmart won't have a lack of customers. I actually go to Walmart for a particular brand of cleaner that my nearby HEB, Target and Krogers don't carry. This new store will make my trip for this one item much more convenient. And yes, there are two Walmarts in north Katy, but the newest one is so far north, it's darn near in Cypress.

Technically true this wal-mart is located in Richmond BUT it's right on the border of Richmond and Katy Area. Katy is no more then 2 miles away with affluent residents in Seven Meadows and Grand Lakes.The location and demographics affects both border surroundings. If people don't want to drive 15 minutes for a loaf of bread why don't they buy homes closer to established retail stores or better location? I find it humorous that people buy homes in the middle of nowhere b/c home site are cheap then complain that nothing is around them. I sure walmart analyze the buying habits of these buyers and is the reason why Wal-mart has the buyer demographics to build in this remote areas. People wanting bargain instead of quality attracts Wal-Mart.

KatyResident, please explain the demographics of Walmart suddenly placing yet another store in Katy when they already operate nearly a 1/2 dozen other locations, including a Sams in our small town? Just how many Walmarts will it take before Target leaves town, or Kohls, or......

It's not in Katy. The closest Walmart to me is the one near Katy Mills, and that isn't very close or convinient. In this area, there are plenty of people who won't shop at Wal-Mart, giving their business to Target or Khol's.

Enough already with the complaining. Fact: A Walmart is opening up soon at FM 1093 and Grand Parkway. "Yeah" for those who shop there and "There's nothing you can do about it" for those who don't like the chain. Just don't shop there... you don't have to list a million reasons why you are boycotting the chain. I personally like Super Target better but I'm not going to quote stats on here about how evil Walmart is and bore everyone.

So... enough with the complaining. Shop or don't shop at Walmart... no one cares. If you feel so strongly about the land development in Katy, you can always buy and develope the land yourself. I'm done... thanks.

Enough already with the complaining. Fact: A Walmart is opening up soon at FM 1093 and Grand Parkway. "Yeah" for those who shop there and "There's nothing you can do about it" for those who don't like the chain. Just don't shop there... you don't have to list a million reasons why you are boycotting the chain. I personally like Super Target better but I'm not going to quote stats on here about how evil Walmart is and bore everyone.

So... enough with the complaining. Shop or don't shop at Walmart... no one cares. If you feel so strongly about the land development in Katy, you can always buy and develope the land yourself. I'm done... thanks.

Kudos! Complaining will not make it go away. There's nothing anyone can do to stop the new Wal-mart...it's pretty much already here. What, do a few of you people actually think that your complaining will lead to the following conversation in Bentonville, Arkansas?

"You know that new location that has taken a while to complete in Richmond? Well there's a small, but growing grassroots faction of people in Katy who don't want another location there...even though we're not actually building this store in Katy. I think they're up to about 100 members, but I think we better just pull out. It's not worth the PR nightmare of having to deal with these people complaining on HAIF. I hear there's a regional grocer by the name of Fiesta that's looking for another location in the area."

Try doing something with more of an impact and that's actually constructive...like not shopping there. There's more power (mediocre at best) in the number of non-shoppers, not complainers.

I heard that is was because the building failed it's inspection. Was not up to code. THat's why walmart is listing it as "remodeling".

Hate to have been the contactor that messed that one up. Heard they had to tear a lot of stuff out and re-do it.

Not a personal attack but I would question your source on that. Are you sure that was not just this person's speculation because they saw some stuff being redone?

I have a pretty reliable source involved with this project and its is a fact there was a lot of work torn out and redone, but inspections were supposedly not the reason. It was the owner wanting to make these changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked with manager at the Hwy 6 and 90 store today. He said Wal-mart will take posession Sept 27th and he expects about a three week stocking period so will open somethim late October. Per him and I quote "it is like no other Wal-mart you've ever seen" That's what he said.

Talked with manager at the Hwy 6 and 90 store today. He said Wal-mart will take posession Sept 27th and he expects about a three week stocking period so will open somethim late October. Per him and I quote "it is like no other Wal-mart you've ever seen" That's what he said.

That's all he said? This may be interesting..

Well I know Wal-mart doesn't get many compliments, however I did want to give them kudos for the effort they have made landscaping this new store. If you get a chance, take a tour especially around the back side of the store that faces Canal. They put up 8' wooden fences to completely hide the back of the store and then softened that by planting pines, magnolias, grasses, bushes, flowers, and sod. In addition, they installed an irrigation system to keep everything lush. Granted, the folks that live on Canal are still looking at the back of a Wal-Mart, but compare the effort they made with the Kohls right down the street. The back of the Kohls store is nothing but exposed concrete and loading docks. No trees, no plants, no nothing (and they get a pass).

In addition, 3 or 4 large oaks have been installed in front of the Wal-Mart, each being at least 10-12 years old. I'm talking BIG for transplanted specimens. I'm not sure that Wal-Mart was directly responsible for this, but the trees are planted right next to the lot that they have for sale in front of the store.

Couple of other things I noticed is that the "new style" Wal-Mart sign no longer has the "star" between "Wal" and "Mart". Also, GNC has put their sign up on one of the buildings in the shopping center and Zales is now building out their store.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know how much the Wal*Mart at Fry and I-10 starts people at, and it's lower than the advertised starting wages for new hires at the CostCo being built inside the loop.

I hereby accuse Wal*Mart of...not offering wages competitive enough to attract sufficient #s of qualified hires for their new store at 1093 and Grand Parkway.

You can't compare the starting salary to a store that is inside the loop to a store that is in the burbs twenty miles away. How much does the Kohls next door pay or the HEB down the road pay compared to the Wal-Mart on the Grand Parkway. You have to also take into account the 10% discount all Wal-mart employees get, the stock purchase programs, 401k, the health care benefits, the training opportunities, stock purchase program, and other benefits Wal-Mart offers.

Once again don't make accusations unless you have your facts straight! The reason for them not having enough employees hired and trained yet is due to Ike and not the wages. They lost a week or two of hiring and traing due to the storm.

You can't compare the starting salary to a store that is inside the loop to a store that is in the burbs twenty miles away. How much does the Kohls next door pay or the HEB down the road pay compared to the Wal-Mart on the Grand Parkway. You have to also take into account the 10% discount all Wal-mart employees get, the stock purchase programs, 401k, the health care benefits, the training opportunities, stock purchase program, and other benefits Wal-Mart offers.

Once again don't make accusations unless you have your facts straight! The reason for them not having enough employees hired and trained yet is due to Ike and not the wages. They lost a week or two of hiring and traing due to the storm.

OK. HEB pays "more" than your average big box store because it is a privately owned company. They do not have to adhere to a board of directors or stock holders etc... Granted Wal-Mart pays their employees $1 extra per hour on Sundays, but still it is not enough. Now the reason that this Wal-Mart is having difficulty finding people is due to the following: They do not pay enough for people to want to work there. Now hear me out, Out here in the Burbs its mostly people with families who have a higher paying job in town or around Houston. Wal-Mart is going to have to pay a bit more to gather people within the "demographics" that it is in. Now, someone who is desperately looking for a job, that lives in a not so nice neighborhood out in Houston, IS NOT going to want to drive 20 miles each way for a job that might pay idk $8.00 an hour. It is simply not enough. This is a problem that most retailers face this side of town because they simply need to pay more to find some of the local people who are willing to work. The whole IKE argument is invalid because there are people that are left without jobs but won't take a job at Wal-Mart (at this particular Wal-Mart) because it is so far away and they do not pay enough.

Archived