Questions About Downtown

Here are some fun facts from www.houstondowntown.com:

Downtown is home to 15 hotels totaling over 5,000 rooms and suites

There is over 1 million square feet of meeting and convention space in Downtown included the George R. Brown Convention Center

Currently there are 3,068 residential units in Downtown accommodating more than 3,800 people

Downtown Houston has the second largest underground tunnel system that is 6.3 miles long, having started out years ago as a tunnel between two downtown movie theaters.

Total businesses 5,150 (2,125 company headquarters)

There is over 43 million square feet of office space in Downtown Houston

Largest employers (by number of employees, 2006)

1 Shell Oil Company - 5,950

2 Harris County - 5,400

3 Chevron* - 4,400

4 City of Houston - 4,000

5 JPMorgan Chase - 4,000

6 ExxonMobil - 3,600

7 Continental Airlines - 2,700

8 El Paso Corp. - 2,065

9 US Government - 1,970

10 US Post Office - 1,950

11 Christus St. Joseph Hospital - 1,900

12 Reliant Energy - 1,600

13 CenterPoint Energy - 1,400

14 Kellogg Brown & Root - 1,240

15 Deloitte & Touche L.L.P. - 1,225

16 Lyondell Petrochemical Co. - 1,100

17 PricewaterhouseCoopers, L.L.P. - 1,000

18 Vinson & Elkins - 920

19 Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. - 905

20 EPCO** - 900

21 Ernest & Young - 900

22 Waste Management, Inc. - 900

23 Devon - 875

24 Amerada Hess Corporation - 800

25 Express Jet Holdings - 800

26 Houston Chronicle - 800

27 University of Houston Downtown - 720

28 Kinder Morgan - 700

29 Baker Botts - 660

30 KPMG Peat Marwick - 660

31 Amegy Bank - 550

32 Hilton Americas(Houston) - 550

33 Andrews Kurth - 525

34 Burlington Resources - 475

35 Bank of America - 460

* Chevron will relocate an additional 700 employees to downtown in the second half of 2006

** Enterprise Products will employ approximately 900 people downtown by October 2006

So here are my questions:

A) How many people work Downtown? (total?)

B) How many people work in each skyscraper?

C) How much Office/Total Space does each building have?

D) How much of that is vacant?

C) What company has the most space in each building?

E) What other companies are in the buildings?

What I have figured:

*Shell has offices in 1 & 2 Shell Plaza.

*Chevron(Chevron/Texaco) is in The New Enron Building, (Texaco)Heritage Plaza, and Fullbright Tower(Chevron Tower).

*JP Morgan Chase is in 3, JP Morgan Chase Tower, the Annex, and the Chase Bank (gulf)Building.

*Exxon Mobile is in their building. (Along with the Petroleum Club in the old Observation Tower)

*Continental is in their building (do they still have offices in America Tower?)

*El Paso in the old Tenneco Building.

*Christus St. Joseph Hospital in their buildings next to 45.

*Reliant Energy in their new (2003) HQ on Main Street.

*CenterPoint Energy in the old Reliant Energy Plaza

*Kellogg Brown & Root In the Kellogg Building next to Continental Center 1 (& Cullen Center)

*Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. in the Fulbright Tower (Chevron Tower)

*Waste Management (HQ) in First City Tower

*Express Jet Holdings I'm guessing would be in with Continental.

*Houston Chronicle in the Chronicle Building

*University of Houston Downtown (self explanitory)

*Amegy Bank I think in 1100 Louisiana, No?

*Hilton Americas (self explanitory)

*Bank of America in the Bank of America Center, right?

-----------------

I'm just interested to know the facts and current happenings in Offices Downtown. Thanks (in advance) to anyone who knows any of my questions/and or a resource.

*Chevron(Chevron/Texaco) is in The New Enron Building, (Texaco)Heritage Plaza, and Fullbright Tower(Chevron Tower).

*Continental is in their building (do they still have offices in America Tower?)

*Express Jet Holdings I'm guessing would be in with Continental.

Continental has space in Continental Center I and II (aka, Cullen Center), but gave up all space in America Tower sometime in '99.

Chevron will become the major tenant in Continental Center I by the end of the year.

ExpressJet Holdings will be moving out of Continental Center I (relocating near IAH) by end of the year to make way for Chevron.

Edited by travelguy_73

Continental has space in Continental Center I and II (aka, Cullen Center), but gave up all space in America Tower sometime in '99.

Chevron will become the major tenant in Continental Center I by the end of the year.

ExpressJet Holdings will be moving out of Continental Center I (relocating near IAH) by end of the year to make way for Chevron.

Thanks! Why is Chevron getting space in Continental Center? Do they occupy the Entire "new" Enron Building?

Amegy Bank is at 1801 Main, across Fannin from the new Cathedral. They have a brach in the Pennzoil Building.

Exxon has a large computer center on roughly six floors of the old First City Tower at 1301 Fannin. This is the white tower seen in the Houston Pavillions renderings.

Houston CBD, as of the first quarter of 2006, had 42,150,628 square feet of office space, with a vacancy rate of 17.79%. This represented an improvement of 120,207 square feet. Of this, 28,823,263 was Class A space.

CBD employment is variously stated from 156,000 to 180,000, up from 127,000 in 1990, but down from roughly 225,000 during the "Boomtown" years of 1980.

Amegy Bank is at 1801 Main, across Fannin from the new Cathedral. They have a brach in the Pennzoil Building.

Exxon has a large computer center on roughly six floors of the old First City Tower at 1301 Fannin. This is the white tower seen in the Houston Pavillions renderings.

Houston CBD, as of the first quarter of 2006, had 42,150,628 square feet of office space, with a vacancy rate of 17.79%. This represented an improvement of 120,207 square feet. Of this, 28,823,263 was Class A space.

CBD employment is variously stated from 156,000 to 180,000, up from 127,000 in 1990, but down from roughly 225,000 during the "Boomtown" years of 1980.

That's very good news. Remember when the DT vacancy rate was over 20% (20.4%, I believe) in 2002?

As a rule of thumb, when your vacancy rate hits under 13%, you're in good shape to take on another tower of decent size (in the 1.2 - 2.0 million square feet range). Of course, the Pavillions will include some office space that will need to be absorbed but in general, the Enron effect seems to finally be over.

downtown et al. in addition to the websites mentioned, central houston provides some useful information. a commuter calculator is even available for those who commute.

Houston Office Market is Hot

Vacancy in the Houston office market has dropped to 17.3 percent, the lowest level in three years, according to Grubb & Ellis.

Greenway and Uptown/Galleria led the pack with first quarter declines of approximately 2 percent.

During the first quarter of 2006,Houston

Thanks! Why is Chevron getting space in Continental Center? Do they occupy the Entire "new" Enron Building?

Yes, ChevronTexaco occupies all of the former "new" Enron Building. I suggest referring to it as the new ChevronTexaco Bulding now and put Enron in the rearview mirror. :rolleyes: I'm glad you mentioned this though, because, in fact, I would contend that the occupancy level is in fact significantly higher downtown. Included in the vacancy totals is the "old" Enron Building... which, even if you wanted to lease space in it, you couldn't. The owner died in a plane crash a few months ago and the whole thing is a mess (managment issues, parking problems, etc..). That is 1.1 million square feet of empty space - that frankly should not be included in total inventory right now.

ChevronTexaco took space in the Continental Center because they were out of space, and with the recent acquisition of Unocal, needed a good chunk of space for their newest employees (who are moving downtown).

It thus seems that two of the hottest office markets in Houston are Downtown and the Energy Corridor. I hear The Woodlands, Bay Area/Clear Lake and Greenspoint are doing pretty well too.

The TMC is in a world of its own.

Uptown/Greenway seems to be struggling a little bit or at least stagnant. Am I wrong?

See Post #8

See Post #8

Greenway took a hit when El Paso moved out of 9 Greenway to their own building downtown the last few years. I believe they occupied nearly 900k SF of space in Greenway before the move. I think there lease is still in place, but they are not occupying the space. A deal was struck a few months ago, but I do not know the specifics.

Another hot area is Westchase. At least in terms of class A. The Occupancy levels are very strong in that market with the big question being BMC who last I heard was trying to unload it's real estate and lease it back on their terms*

Their terms are not exaclty what investors are looking for.

Greenway took a hit when El Paso moved out of 9 Greenway to their own building downtown the last few years. I believe they occupied nearly 900k SF of space in Greenway before the move. I think there lease is still in place, but they are not occupying the space. A deal was struck a few months ago, but I do not know the specifics.

Another hot area is Westchase. At least in terms of class A. The Occupancy levels are very strong in that market with the big question being BMC who last I heard was trying to unload it's real estate and lease it back on their terms*

Their terms are not exaclty what investors are looking for.

Well, they were what TPG/CalSTRS were looking for... :)

Company Adds 1.5 Million Square Feet of Premium Space to Its Houston Portfolio

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 7, 2006--Thomas Properties Group, Inc. (Nasdaq:TPGI - News), through its joint venture with the California State Teachers' Retirement System, TPG/CalSTRS, LLC, has entered into a $295 million definitive agreement with BMC Software, Inc. to acquire its four-building, 1.5-million-square-foot campus and 24 acres of adjacent developable land.

The properties are all strategically located in the Westchase District of Houston and within the same CityWest development as Thomas Properties' adjacent 25-story office tower located at 2500 CityWest Boulevard. Upon the closing of this transaction, expected to occur in June 2006, Thomas Properties Group will own interests in and/or manage a portfolio of approximately 12 million square feet of commercial real estate in the United States, including approximately four million square feet in the Houston market.

I can only note the company my father works for, Smith International. They had offices all over town, Including the earliest I remember going to, Greenway Plaza. They then moved to Louisiana Place, and now have built their own Building/s outside the beltway, I am not sure if It would be counted as "West Chase", but their land is on the southwest corner of the Beltway & Westpark Tollroad. (5950 North Course Dr.)

I found this site looking up Houston Pictures on Google: http://www.citywideofficespace.com/

I figure I'll share some of their information on here, incase anyone else is interested.

Downtown

Continental Center 1:

Price/SF: $17.75

Total SF: 1,108,479

SF/Floor: 20,154

Available Space(SF): 148,073

3 Allen Center:

Price/SF: $17.75

Total SF: 1,191,254

SF/Floor: 23,500

Available Space(SF): 408,771

Wells Fargo Plaza:

Price/SF: $28

Total SF: 1,721,242

SF/Floor: -1

Available Space(SF): 67,198

1400 Smith Street:

Total SF: 1,248,841

SF/Floor: 24,977

(They don't have too much info, probibly what firstngoal has something to do with it)

1 Shell Plaza:

Price/SF: $27.91 - $33.41

Total SF: 1,228,597

SF/Floor: 24,599

First City Tower:

Price/SF: $27.00 - $28.00

Total SF: 1,333,312

SF/Floor: 27,541

Available Space(SF): 71,260

JP Morgan Chase Tower:

Price/SF: $27.42 - $32.92

Total SF: 1,683,000

SF/Floor: 22,500

Available Space(SF): 71,164

(Amazing, I thought they had the most Square Feet, but Wells Fargo Plaza is wider I believe)

1100 Louisiana

Price/SF: $18.00 - $18.50

Total SF: 1,279,477

SF/Floor: 23,000

Available Space(SF): 64,848

Center Point Energy Plaza:

Total SF: 1,084,230

SF/Floor: 23,069

Wedge International Plaza:

Price/SF: $24.00

Total SF: 520,000

SF/Floor: 18,700

Available Space(SF): 11,661

Pennzoil Placa (Doesn't say if its 1, or 2, or both)

Price/SF: $18.00 - $18.50

Total SF: 1,409,713

SF/Floor: 20,500

Available Space(SF): 16,522

Exxon Building:

Total SF: 1,107,864

SF/Floor: 24,084

1 Houston Center:

Price/SF: $23.00

Total SF: 991,425

SF/Floor: 26,613

Available Space(SF): 131,426

Greenway Plaza:

Phoenix Tower:

Price/SF: $24.00

Total SF: 618,578

SF/Floor: 24,000

Available Space(SF): 40,933

5 Greenway Plaza:

Price/SF: $22.00

Total SF: 879,244

SF/Floor: 26,800

Available Space(SF): 56,467

Uptown/Galleria:

Williams Tower:

Price/SF: $27.20 - $28.70

Total SF: 1,545,011

SF/Floor: 24,141

Available Space(SF): 68,703

Marathon Oil Tower:

Price/SF: $22.25 - $24.00

Total SF: 1,032,000

SF/Floor: -1

Available Space(SF): 84,000

San Felipe Tower:

Price/SF: $22.50 - $23.50

Total SF: 959,000

SF/Floor: 21,000

Available Space(SF): 109,850

I didn't know that the "Price/SF" was generally lower Downtown... Except for the Giants (JP, Wells Fargo)

This topic also brings up other questions, such as, Who really owns the Buildings?

• 2 weeks later...

I read over the weekend that Baker Hughes leased 114,000 sf at America Tower in AIG Center on Allen Parkway just barely outside of downtown. Also read last week that Allen Center sold . Definately believe the rental rates are getting ready to spike downtown in A space, but this usually means that other class buildings start raising their rates also. I can usually tell when the market is strengthening at a glance when I start seeing rates quoted by the base rental amount ONLY vs. the gross amount, because the rental rates start looking extraordinarily low...ie: $12. or $14./sf/year. This instead of base rental & operating expenses which would look like this:$12.(Base Rental) & 10. (operating expenses) = $22./sf/year gross rental rate. Also seems like there are fewer blocks of space in Westchase that are 15,000 sf + which might start pushing companies towards different areas of the city.

Edited by mainvoice

• The title was changed to Questions About Downtown