RDA: CITE Magazine

I haven't seen this discussed here but I wonder what's up with this rag. Seems kind of like a vanity journal more than anything to me...

Interested to here other perspectives.

It is a fine publication. You may find some here who may call it a "rag"-but I'm guessing few and far between.

It is a fine publication. You may find some here who may call it a "rag"-but I'm guessing few and far between.

I never read it until I got this book from Amazon:

Houston - Cite

It was a great read and had some awesome photos too boot. I subsrcibed to Cite thereafter and have always enjoyed some of the articles. I won't say I read it cover to cover, but it is a great mag to take on a flight or to read when you are bored.

I'd be curious as to why it would be considered a "vanity journal". It is one of very few truly local publications with any substance, and editorially it isn't afraid to honestly criticize local architecture and development. To me, Houston is lucky to have Cite.

I'd be curious as to why it would be considered a "vanity journal". It is one of very few truly local publications with any substance, and editorially it isn't afraid to honestly criticize local architecture and development. To me, Houston is lucky to have Cite.

I agree. Paper City is a Vanity Journal. To the 'inth degree. I used to look through it just to see if I recognized any of the people I went to school with. I not longer do that as I do not care anymore.

When I think Houston and vanity magazine.. I think 002, certainly not CITE.

I only recently started subscribing, but I've been reading them for a few years, and I've always found the articles to be good reads and well worth it.

I would also second that "Ephemeral City : Cite Looks at Houston" is a great book and that those that contribute to the book and the magazine know Houston pretty well.

Edited by Highway6

To clarify, a "vanity" publication is produced primarily to satisfy its producers.

As opposed to, say being subjecting to the market: attempting to increase circulation figures and therefore ad revenue.

002 and Paper City are a million times more likely to be financially self-supporting than Cite. Perhaps they're junk, but they're not vanity projects.

Cite is endowded by the RDA and appears to exist merely to provide give an arena for its editorial board to flog their several hobby horses.

To clarify, a "vanity" publication is produced primarily to satisfy its producers.

As opposed to, say being subjecting to the market: attempting to increase circulation figures and therefore ad revenue.

002 and Paper City are a million times more likely to be financially self-supporting than Cite. Perhaps they're junk, but they're not vanity projects.

Cite is endowded by the RDA and appears to exist merely to provide give an arena for its editorial board to flog their several hobby horses.

Yes, CITE is endowed by RDA and has an agenda-one which many on HAIF appear to embrace.

So "3 post" cookie...kinda wondering where you are coming from...maybe you are a poser? lurker? or just another Paper City girl looking for respect.

Clearly you have hit the wrong forum to advance your "agenda". May I suggest you move on so as to spare yourself additional embarrassment?

Yes, CITE is endowed by RDA and has an agenda-one which many on HAIF appear to embrace.

So "3 post" cookie...kinda wondering where you are coming from...maybe you are a poser? lurker? or just another Paper City girl looking for respect.

Clearly you have hit the wrong forum to advance your "agenda". May I suggest you move on so as to spare yourself additional embarrassment?

Why should I be embarrassed? I have a legitimate question, which has been misunderstood.

Anyways, maybe you could stay on topic? There's an off-topic area on this forum, you know. Perhaps you could go there and engage in your personal attacks?

Why should I be embarrassed? I have a legitimate question, which has been misunderstood.

Anyways, maybe you could stay on topic? There's an off-topic area on this forum, you know. Perhaps you could go there and engage in your personal attacks?

You will learn quickly that threads on HAIF morph into other topics very easily (I have a tendency to be a culprit).

Taking the topic elsewhere. What is your favorite kind of cookie. I am 100% for the Chocolate Chip Variety. If your name is Cookie then I am sure you have an opinion. You sond like an Otmeal Rasin kinda person. Am I right. ;)

Edited by Trophy Property

You may be correct in the actual definition of a "vanity publication". However, to suggest that this definition somehow diminishes the value of CITE is off target. CITE is the official publication of the RDA, a local group of architects and those appreciative of architecture and Houston. 002 and PaperCity, on the other hand, exist solely to generate ad revenue for the publisher. They have no content of substance. They have more salespeople than writers. Having been written up in 002, I can vouch for the fact that, not only will they print whatever you tell them without checking its veracity, in an attempt to sell you an ad, but worse, will inflate even the claims that you make.

It would seem to me that a magazine who's sole purpose is to generate ad revenue for the publisher, without regard to content, is exactly what the term "vanity publication" is defining.

Moderators of HAIF. . .I have to ask a very serious question. How long are the personal attacks by this guy and others going to be tolerated?

Edited by 713 To 214

Guest danax
Moderators of HAIF. . .I have to ask a very serious question. How long are the personal attacks by this guy and others going to be tolerated?

I suppose Nmain's "attack" was prompted by cookie being a first-time poster and the topic being an "attack" on a magazine.

In other words, I kind of wondered where cookie was really coming from too, but the topic question certainly was legitimate.

I think it goes without saying that anyone who's spent much time here knows that we are a courteous group who welcome all thoughtful comments and seem to be blessed with little in the way of "attacks", except for the occasional Dallas sparring.

Welcome to HAIF, cookie.

Very true. Houston should be proud of Cite. Even a city as architecture-aware as Chicago doesn't have its own architecture magazine.

I have a legitimate question, which has been misunderstood.

I addressed your question in post #2. As you can see from the thread, virtualy no one agrees with you. No one has misunderstood you. Perhaps you wern't clear enough in your initial attack on CITE.

Very true. Houston should be proud of Cite. Even a city as architecture-aware as Chicago doesn't have its own architecture magazine.

Editor,

Did Chicago ever have a mag like CITE? I thought sometime in the past they did...perhaps too many removed brain-cells ago...

B)

I addressed your question in post #2. As you can see from the thread, virtualy no one agrees with you. No one has misunderstood you. Perhaps you wern't clear enough in your initial attack on CITE.

I don't understand why it matters that "virtualy[sic] no one agrees with" me. Is disagreement to be avoided? (besides in the pages of Cite, that is).

I posted this thread hoping to see what value people saw in Cite. As a soon to be former subscriber, I was curious why people keep reading it.

And, actually, other posters misunderstood what one means by "vanity publication." Anyways, stop trolling me, please.

To the others: is it OK for a periodical to baldly push an agenda (a consistent one, at that, for years on end). Shouldn't it open itseld to dissenting viewpoints?

To the others: is it OK for a periodical to baldly push an agenda (a consistent one, at that, for years on end). Shouldn't it open itseld to dissenting viewpoints?

Yes, it is. Numerous publications, such as The New Republic, National Review, Weekly Standard, and Mother Earth News have decided slants. All are well written. Whether one agrees with the premise of the articles however, is a different matter.

EDIT: Dissenting opinions are usually welcomed in the Letters to the Editor section.

Edited by RedScare

Although I honestly can't figure out where you're coming from (given that I've also seen articles in Cite about parking garage architecture and school bus mercados), I do sympathize with you. As a dissenting voice, you should still be treated with respect.

I've been in your place before and nearly quit HAIFing because of nmainguy's antics. I don't remember if it was TJ or 1stWordOnTheMoon, but one of them told me to get a spine...or something to that effect. And they were right. As annoying as nmainguy can get, especially when he throws snippets of your words back at you completely out of context or snaps the ultimatum that if you don't change your opinion, you will become irrelevent...just try to take him with a grain of salt.

I sincerely hope you stick around (and clarify your position a bit) and am sorry that you've had a bad first experience. Conflict is what makes HAIF interesting. Respectfulness is what makes it bearable. Fortunately, the perponderance of our membership seems to be pretty good at both.

Welcome to HAIF.

Edited by TheNiche

I don't understand why it matters that "virtualy[sic] no one agrees with" me. Is disagreement to be avoided? (besides in the pages of Cite, that is).

I posted this thread hoping to see what value people saw in Cite. As a soon to be former subscriber, I was curious why people keep reading it.

And, actually, other posters misunderstood what one means by "vanity publication." Anyways, stop trolling me, please.

It is perfectly fine to disagree and perfectly fine for CITE to push their own agenda.

It is perfectly fine to write CITE and/or their corporate sponsers to complain.

It is perfectly fine for you to make your first post in this forum a slam on CITE.

As for niche, it is perfectly fine for me-and anyone else-to throw his words back at him when he posts cruelties such as "If they're dying of a gunshot wound, let them...that's a very good deterrent to coming here illegally."

So yeah, expect to get called on when anyone posts that kind of crap.

Edited by nmainguy

What agenda is it that you think Cite is pushing?

Regardless of what it is, I don't see anything wrong with a publication pushing an agenda or being biased. That is the essense of freedom of the press. It is frustrating if you disagree with the agenda, but they have no obligation to be open to dissenting viewpoints. Being primarily privately funded, rather than by advertising, gives Cite an advantage in that it can push its agenda. The Chronicle, on the other hand, usually either avoids criticism altogther or just cheerleads to keep from showing any bias. I would much prefer an intelligently expressed agenda to non-biased pabulum.

So "3 post" cookie...kinda wondering where you are coming from...maybe you are a poser? lurker?

I wouldn't cop an attitude on new posters. Quantity isn't the same as quality. Plus, we have a lot of new members that it would be good to hear from. Members shouldn't be intimidated from posing their opinions.

I wouldn't cop an attitude on new posters. Quantity isn't the same as quality. Plus, we have a lot of new members that it would be good to hear from. Members shouldn't be intimidated from posing their opinions.

I agree and have been suitibly humbled. Thank you Sub.

B)

which consistent agenda are they baldling pushing for years on end?

which consistent agenda are they baldling pushing for years on end?

Like how METRO's light rail propositions are awesome, and urban living is desired...? Some agree, some disagree.

Cite is a pretty good magazine, in my opinion. I enjoyed Ephemeral City, learned a lot about Houston. But some materials are opinionated and subjective, which I think is fine.

Not related really, but when I was in school, my professor totaly disliked what a person wrote on Cite magazine, who was also a professor at my school. I thought it's funny....

Edited by Spencer Street