Candlelight Oaks

Have any of you heard of that neighborhood Candlelight Oaks located between TC Jester and Antoine on Tidwell?

It looks like its a nice maintained neighborhood. Do any of you know the sale $$$ of houses there?

A quick search on HAR shows houses going from 109k - 228k. I have never been in that neighborhood so I can not comment beyond that.

HAR WEBSITE

It was developed by Goettee, the same one that built Memorial Northwest out on Louetta. The resemblence to the section off of Deep Pines & Louetta in MNW to Deep Creek & Tidwell in Candlelight is a little spooky.

There's a small infusion of new projects in that area, too. A large new apartment complex (don't know if it's actual apartments or townhomes) and a somewhat new shopping complex with a Kroger's. There's still some low income apartments located to the north along Antoine as well as some stores that are starting to go the wrong way.

I post all of that because such things usually have an affect on property values one way or the other. There was similar discussion about homes in Inwood North--nice residential neighborhoods that's well kept, clean and so forth, but the area's property values are kept low due to some not-so-great outside factors, like high-crime low-income apartment complex and a pretty stagnant (if not flat out declining) retail amenities.

Anyway, Candlelight Oaks seems isolated enough--or far enough on the periphery--to be on the fringe of going on the uptick, like Meyerland and Glenbrook Valley, which is a pretty good thing for a property owner.

BTW, I tend to like the homes in Inwood a bit more than those in Candlelight Oaks, but that's mere archictectural subjectivity on my part.

Have any of you heard of that neighborhood Candlelight Oaks located between TC Jester and Antoine on Tidwell?

It looks like its a nice maintained neighborhood. Do any of you know the sale $$$ of houses there?

I toyed with the idea of buying a patio home in there, but eventually decided not to. The reason I decided against was because of the immediate area being decidedly sketchy, and to a lesser extent the drive time from town. It is quite nice in the 'hood where the deed restrictions are, but once you step outside the bounds of the DRs, it goes to hell pretty quick.

Edited by jm1fd

I agree with the others... surrounding area is scarey. Driving down Antoine near Tidwell can be dangerous. I work with a lady that is trying to sell her place close to there. It's been on the market for over a year. They get close to selling, then at the last minute buyers back out.

Well look at midtown...it wasn't a bright jewel when it first started to get developed as a trendy place to live at.

I guess we just have to give it time...

The catalyst for the redevelopment of midtown, was mostly location. What does Candlelight Oaks have in its favor? Not location, that's for sure.

Well look at midtown...it wasn't a bright jewel when it first started to get developed as a trendy place to live at.

I guess we just have to give it time...

Apples and Oranges my friend. Not to say that Candlelight Oaks won't become a hot area, I just think there are many things going against it. I also think there are many closer in neighborhoods that will see a renaisance before Candlelight Oaks. It appears to be a nice place to live, with a surrounding area issue.

I toyed with the idea of buying a patio home in there, but eventually decided not to. The reason I decided against was because of the immediate area being decidedly sketchy, and to a lesser extent the drive time from town. It is quite nice in the 'hood where the deed restrictions are, but once you step outside the bounds of the DRs, it goes to hell pretty quick.

Driving down Antoine near Tidwell is not dangerous - do it very often, because i live in Inwood North (the discussion Hizzy mentions above.)

As for Candelight Oaks, it's kinda caught between Oak Forest and Candelight Plaza and Inwood South.

The apartments that are going in are for Seniors. It's a nice looking place so far.

That area is very close to a lot of the Inwood South apartments.

I've ridden through Candelight Oaks a few times. If it weren't so close to the Inwood South apartment areas, i'd jump in - i'm still considering it...

but driving that area is just as 'dangerous' as any other area in Houston, unless by 'dangerous' you mean "has a lot of black people that don't have a lot of money or a lot of education or a lot of opportunities for either of the two."

I never said it was dangerous, and I never mentioned black people. But it sure did look ghetto as hell.

Driving down Antoine near Tidwell is not dangerous - do it very often, because i live in Inwood North (the discussion Hizzy mentions above.)

As for Candelight Oaks, it's kinda caught between Oak Forest and Candelight Plaza and Inwood South.

The apartments that are going in are for Seniors. It's a nice looking place so far.

That area is very close to a lot of the Inwood South apartments.

I've ridden through Candelight Oaks a few times. If it weren't so close to the Inwood South apartment areas, i'd jump in - i'm still considering it...

but driving that area is just as 'dangerous' as any other area in Houston, unless by 'dangerous' you mean "has a lot of black people that don't have a lot of money or a lot of education or a lot of opportunities for either of the two."

I never said it was dangerous, and I never mentioned black people. But it sure did look ghetto as hell.

JM, that was in response to a post that did mention it being dangerous, not yours.

I agree - it does look "ghetto as hell" just north of Tidwell. Lots of Houston looks ghetto as hell.

Edited by TAK

Candlelight Oaks is zoned to the following Houston ISD schools:

* Katherine "Kate" Smith Elementary School - http://es.houstonisd.org/ksmithes/

* Clifton Middle School - http://ms.houstonisd.org/cliftonms/

* Scarborough High School - http://hs.houstonisd.org/scarboroughhs/

Profiles:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Smith_K_ES.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Clifton_MS.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Scarborough_HS.pdf

JM, that was in response to a post that did mention it being dangerous, not yours.

Well then you shouldn't have quoted me in the post.

I agree - it does look "ghetto as hell" just north of Tidwell. Lots of Houston looks ghetto as hell.

No. Lots of Houston looks ghetto....only a few special places are ghetto as hell.

JM,

I quoted you because I was agreeing with you about the 'sketchiness' of the surrounding area (note i mention the apartments of Inwood South as a negative), but I was disagreeing with "dangerous". I wasn't clear - sorry for the confusion.

• 2 months later...

We recently purchased a home in Candlelight Oaks and LOVE IT!~ Sure you can point out all the perceived negatives like Tidwell and Antoine is "sketchy", sure the matrixed schools are less than optimal, sure the South Inwood Apartments are close but it really depends on what your looking for. I liked the large homes with defined deed restrictions and a neighborhood association interested in making sure that it's a nice place to live and raise kids. We have on any given weekend or summer afternon several groups of children that play in the neighborhood without fear that something will happen.

I work in Galleria area and drive there at all different times of the day and week. I find that my commute is between 7 minutes and 30 minutes. You can guess wich one is Friday at 5:30! We went to dinner the other night in River Oaks and the drive was an easy 10 minutes. We frequent the local Kroger and the other local businesses and restaurants. Our nieghborhood is less than 2 miles from NW Crossing and practically any dining and shopping opportunity you might want/need.

Like most things in Houston, you have to take the good with the bad. We like the neighborhood and think we made a great choice.

• 1 year later...
We recently purchased a home in Candlelight Oaks and LOVE IT!~ Sure you can point out all the perceived negatives like Tidwell and Antoine is "sketchy", sure the matrixed schools are less than optimal, sure the South Inwood Apartments are close but it really depends on what your looking for. I liked the large homes with defined deed restrictions and a neighborhood association interested in making sure that it's a nice place to live and raise kids. We have on any given weekend or summer afternon several groups of children that play in the neighborhood without fear that something will happen.

I work in Galleria area and drive there at all different times of the day and week. I find that my commute is between 7 minutes and 30 minutes. You can guess wich one is Friday at 5:30! We went to dinner the other night in River Oaks and the drive was an easy 10 minutes. We frequent the local Kroger and the other local businesses and restaurants. Our nieghborhood is less than 2 miles from NW Crossing and practically any dining and shopping opportunity you might want/need.

Like most things in Houston, you have to take the good with the bad. We like the neighborhood and think we made a great choice.

This is one of the neighborhoods I am looking at. The houses are a little older, but priced way below anything comparable.

Oak Forest, to me, seems like nice older homes with no renovations. The ones in Candlelight Oaks seem to be well maintained, many updates, and a very active homeowners association.

The 'Antoine element' doesn't faze me at all (I lived in a 'bad' neighborhood in Baltimore that rapidly gentrified due to location and home value) and actually think it is nicely wedged positioned near north.

Just my opinion.

I know Candlelight Oaks 3 is north of Tidwell. Candlelight Oaks 2 & 3 are south of Tidwell. I can't see any other difference between section 2 & 3. Other than the proximity to Tidwell, I can't see any difference among any of them at all.

I thought Candlelight Oaks 3 would be zoned to AISD schools, but it's zoned to HISD just like 2 & 3.