Working at a corporation?

emirate25

I work for a well known corporation here in Houston and it has just been slow around here.

To tell you the truth, its been like 2 months since I've had done any work. Is it normal for this to happen once in a while when working in a corporation?

I work for a well known corporation here in Houston and it has just been slow around here.

To tell you the truth, its been like 2 months since I've had done any work. Is it normal for this to happen once in a while when working in a corporation?

My experience is, the bigger the company the more downtime there is.

oh ok thanks. I see around me and it seems that people are just kind of waiting for the next project.

Yeah, I think it's normal. I bounce from it being hectic to doing absolutely nada. Right now's one of those nada periods.

Enjoy it!!!!!! If not, i will trade places with you :)

Apparently I'm in the same boat as you! I've been with my employer for 10 years now and have never seen a slow period. We stay busy as hell, but like they say, it's better than the alternative. I think anyone who's in the real estate/homebuilding/engineering/architecture industry here in Houston will understand that.

Of course, I combat work fatigue with frequent trips to HAIF. :D

So what do people do in big corporations when things are slow. Do you worry about getting laid off? I understand that that's common business practice in large engineering corporations...they hire people on contract to staff up for a big project, and as soon as it's done, everyone is gone. The contract folks then sit around hoping that the company gets another big project.

While it's slow, do you openly sit back and put your feet on your desk, or do you try to give the appearance of working?

Apparently I'm in the same boat as you! I've been with my employer for 10 years now and have never seen a slow period. We stay busy as hell, but like they say, it's better than the alternative. I think anyone who's in the real estate/homebuilding/engineering/architecture industry here in Houston will understand that.

Of course, I combat work fatigue with frequent trips to HAIF. :D

So what do people do in big corporations when things are slow. Do you worry about getting laid off? I understand that that's common business practice in large engineering corporations...they hire people on contract to staff up for a big project, and as soon as it's done, everyone is gone. The contract folks then sit around hoping that the company gets another big project.

While it's slow, do you openly sit back and put your feet on your desk, or do you try to give the appearance of working?

Very interesting points. Never really thought of it that way. Never really had that oportunity either. My employer allows me to live and work from home in Houston. Company headquarters is in DC. The downside to that is the work load is constant and ongoing, so not much time to sit around. This HAIF site is a nice distraction. The work i have keeps me awake at odd hours and this site is a nice distraction from the work related bull :)

So Emirates, if you would like to trade, i wouldnt mind ;)

I certainly have been in a slow phase now for months. This is the first company I've work at that is highly successfull in its industry and have nothing to do. I moved positions in my department and if it wasn’t for the Internet, I don’t know what I would do with my time. I do have responsibilities, but that takes all but 1 hour of my day. Beyond that I have become a surf master. Luckily, my desk is positioned in such a way that my monitor is off limits to roving eyes. But, I spend most my day working on a business that I plan on opening soon so I am not complaining!

Corporate America...you work about 30-45 minutes a day on avg...the rest is creative downtime.

I wish! Maybe some places, but not at my company.

Still, I'd rather be busy than sitting around with nothing to do. The pay is better when we're busy, the days go by faster, and there's a lot more job security.

Archived