Best Hotel in town for around $150

My 13th anniversary is coming up and I want to get a nice room for the wife and I. Because of some other estimated expenditures (expensive dinner etc) I want to stay around $150.00 for the room and at the same time stay in a vibrant part of town.

Anybody got any ideas?

I like Magnolia and Alden (Sam Houston) Hotels, though they might run a tad over $150. Otherwise, Hilton Americas is very nice, and can keep it to $150 or less on weekends. All of them have anniversary specials that may make it more affordable or enjoyable.

Have fun!

I like Magnolia and Alden (Sam Houston) Hotels, though they might run a tad over $150. Otherwise, Hilton Americas is very nice, and can keep it to $150 or less on weekends. All of them have anniversary specials that may make it more affordable or enjoyable.

Have fun!

Thanks Red, I'll check em out. Oh, and I plan on having lots of fun. > :)

The Four Seasons is also nice.

My wife and I have stayed there a couple of times, and I don't think we've paid $150 for a room. We always enjoy a drink in their bar, and even though they're away from most of the action downtown, they do have a complimentary towncar service.

We also stayed at the Magnolia once and enjoyed that as well.

Between the two, we found the Four Seasons to have better service overall.

Check the web sites for all of the downtown hotels. Most have anniversary specials.

Also, when it comes to chain hotels it's often worth calling the hotel directly and asking if they have any anniversary specials. Often the local hotel will have lower rates or special packages that aren't listed on the national web site.

I like the Hyatt. Romantic dinner upstairs in Spindletop, then head downstairs for the rest of the celebration.

If you're looking for something more boutique, there's a great small hotel across the street from the Chronicle. The name escapes me. I ate at their restaurant and it's fantastic. My wife stayed at the hotel and said it was great.

my parents stayed at the magnolia last august for their anniversary and had a great time, i told the reservations desk that it was a special occasion. on the other hand, i know a couple who came down from vermont to stay for a few days and did not enjoy the magnolia since august, they moved to the four seasons and were very pleased there. in addition, my parents stayed at the four seasons since renovations were made and didn't want to leave. they also received great service at the four seasons.

My 13th anniversary is coming up and I want to get a nice room for the wife and I. Because of some other estimated expenditures (expensive dinner etc) I want to stay around $150.00 for the room and at the same time stay in a vibrant part of town.

Anybody got any ideas?

Go to Priceline.com and sign up for a four star hotel in Downtown. It will put you in the Hilton by the GRB. I've never paid more than $50 for a weekend night. It is a little off from most of the downtown stuff, but the money is worth it and it is a nice place. The bar on the 24th floor is nice, too. I did the Lancaster thing a couple of years ago for an annivesary and told them it was our annivesary when I booked the room on the phone. They upgraded us to a suite and left champagne and strawberries in the room, all without asking. It was nice. Ate at Artiste in the Hobby Center.

If you stay at the Alden (old Sam Houston), make sure to eat at the restaurant; 17. VERY GOOD. I also liked the rooms there. My only complaint was that the A.C. didn't seem to cool the room too well.

The Magnolia is nice but I don't think of it as "romantic."

The Icon was fun too. I happened to stay there over Valentine's weekend about two years ago (I was in town for the college baseball classic at Minute Maid) and when I got back to my room, they had placed hearts on the door and rose petals on the bed and lit candles all over... a nice touch if it weren't for the fact that I was ALONE! :)

If you stay at the Alden (old Sam Houston), make sure to eat at the restaurant; 17. VERY GOOD. I also liked the rooms there. My only complaint was that the A.C. didn't seem to cool the room too well.

The Magnolia is nice but I don't think of it as "romantic."

The Icon was fun too. I happened to stay there over Valentine's weekend about two years ago (I was in town for the college baseball classic at Minute Maid) and when I got back to my room, they had placed hearts on the door and rose petals on the bed and lit candles all over... a nice touch if it weren't for the fact that I was ALONE! :)

:lol:

Well, you know what the song says, Kinkaid, "If you ain't with the one you love, Honey, love the one you're with!"

Back to the thread though, didn't the restaurant 17 have a name change recently?

i would recommend icon, lancaster, or alden (sam houston). not sure what regular room rates are (but a tad over 150, maybe, like others have suggested).

the package deals start at over $200 for all of them, but some of the ones at Alden include dinner at 17.

Gary, I have some connections at The Derrick over in the Galleria area, if you are interested. :D

Good choice. I stayed there when I was having my bathroom redone. Great time, and free limo service to the Galleria if you don't want to eat in the hotel.

• The title was changed to Best Hotel in town for around $150

Archived