Camera recommendations

I was going to cash in my frequent hotel guest points and get a camera. For the points, they have about six cameras available, ranging from 5 to 9 megapixels. The other big differentiator seems to be the zoom, which ranges from 3.5x to 12x. Preliminarily, I narrowed it down to a Nikon P4 (8 mp, 3.5x zoom), and a Panasonic F27 (6 mp, 12x zoom), based on some quick research online. The brands are Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, and Sony. No strong brand preference, other than someone mentioned to avoid Sony because of high price and proprietary features. I'm a total novice at this, so what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Either Fuji Finepix 5 (5 mp, 10x) or Finepix 9 (9 mp, 7.6x)

Be careful not to be to taken in by zoom ratio's, especially if your going to do alot of landscape photography. Wide angles tend to be much more important with few exceptions, such as wildlife photography.

Edited by Gary

Either Fuji Finepix 5 (5 mp, 10x) or Finepix 9 (9 mp, 7.6x)

is it the "e" series? they all have too many letters and numbers :wacko::blush:

But, it all depends on what you NEED.

definitely - it seems like alot of those mgiht be good "all-around" types though

I have a Canon digital Elph Powershot SD200. Though your selection probably has more megapixels, this is my second Elph and I just love it. It's small and takes really good pictures. The menus are easy to understand and the delay between pictures is nice and short (unlike my old Nikon which had to sit and think and think and think while I was trying to take a quick round of shots).

and get something that has OPTICAL not DIGITAL zoom. Any camera that heavily relies on Digital zoom generally is poor quality if you want to get a distant object.

Digital zoom bad.

opitcal good.

CONCUR! Most reasonably priced cameras have 3x zoom which is OK. I'd see if you can find optical to at least 5 or so. anything more than that results in a physically larger camera. Not sure what your priorities are with respect to camera size.